• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge customization for 97+ XJs

Renegade_Azzy

NAXJA Forum User
(note, copied from my long running threads on jeepforum)

In my thread on my gauge cluster makeover kits, there were a lot of requests to do a 97+ kit. Im going to go through the development here so the other thread isnt cluttered up.

These things have some technical challenges to overcome, mainly... they are backlit. Which means, replicating the multi-layer gauge layout that came stock, and replacing it.

SKMBT_C36012040316320a.jpg
SKMBT_C36012040316340a.jpg

Ive seen some other kits, some replace it with a lightup cluster that is indiglo, and has weird looking cutouts for all of the things like fuel and ABS. nifty, sorta, if you like the sound of the whining electronic box that powers it.

So I started with artwork. thats the easy part for me, Ive already done how many of the 89-96 clusters. Easy, relativly. takes scans of the original, lots of measurements, test fitting paper cutouts... etc. So I got to work on that, and this is what I came up with. Used a warning light cluster, because that's what I could find on ebay for less than $100 at the time. Besides, those guys need something too! (and the wife wouldn't let me pull hers)

Sample004BETA.JPG

(Prelim design)

Then it was finding the material. Thankfully, Digital Media Solutions and my man Tim over there helped in finding some injet back-lit sign film. :cool: Cool stuff, its heavy duty and is made to be in outdoor installations. Its good stuff, but may be a bit too thick for our printer (we use an HP Z3200 42" photo printer for projects at work, and I am allowed to pay for consumables and use it. Being the Director of Tech and having a cool President helps things greatly).

Material found, I made some test prints to test out some theories, and they worked. So time to find a place to get them cut at. That was the real issue... no one wanted to do it, or wanted an exorbitant amount... and then still couldn't guarantee they could cut it out on the imagery!

That's when I found this little gem, the Silouette Cameo, a home cutter designed with crafting in mind. Guess thats the way of Jeeping, find something that might work, hack it and craft it into doing what you want!.

DSC_3933.JPG

The second test cut and an assembled gauge

Making it work for what I do with these took about 12 hours of getting software and prints to come together correctly. That was my weekend... but, on a plus side, it lets us get the other kits out the door a bit quicker, only requiring assembly and a few cut touch ups before they head out the door.

Convinced my lovely wife to let me tear apart her dash to test them out, and after some tweaks in the design... here is the result of the first batch:

DSC_3924.JPG

(ambient light and no tripod)

DSC_3935.JPG

End of the test cycle, just like it is sitting when the engine is off

DSC_3934.JPG

and finally, test cycle with everything lit, note the added messages for warning lights
For now, my next steps:

1. Find a slightly thinner material, or tweak the printer to raise the heads
  2. tweak the black piece that you see above, that is where the messages for warning lights and indicators go
  3. work on the design for the lit areas and non lit areas
  4. work on the full 6 gauge cluster face, with the addressed above areas
  5. and get these in the hands of a few testers!
(Update)
Got a sample worked up for the standard version:
97plus5gaugedemo1.JPG

(Red outline and circles are a cutline... something you would never see)

Comments and thoughts graciously accepted :cheers:

Oh, and this is the inside of one of these clusters.... another reason its hard to change the color of your lights:

471427d1347548414-making-new-gauges-newer-xjs-anything-else-runs-4-0-after-97-dsc_3940a.jpg

I think that looks real good. Only thing I don't like is how the lights bleed over and make the material semi-transparent and you can see shadows in the dash.

that is very neat.

do you have to remove the needles from the gauges?

I would take apart the wife's 01 to test a tach/full gauge version.

Yes, you do have to remove them, but Ive seen a way advertised by a company that makes inserts (that are much more expensive) that seems to work well and keeps them, well, as accurate as they really can be.

As for the wife's... not gonna fly :) For that reason, I have a TJ gauge set coming (same thing) in the mail as this is typed.

I think you misunderstood me.

I will take apart MY wife's cluster to test a full gauge/tacho version.

01 limited with the full time case.

seems I'm not too far from you anyway. We can get together and do testing.

I actually have a spare full gauge cluster from my 2000. I'd be willing to let you use it for testing/R&D if we could work something out on maybe a gauge set or the sort. Also I'm not to far away either. Actually probably a little closer than Nate. Coshocton, Oh.

Sorry for the lack of updates!

Ive been spending my spare time split between trying to help with a charity, a local political campaign, a gun rights organization, and physical therapy. Oh, and I was asked to come in and help run a publication department for a local non-profit Japanese culture society's festival...

After the election and more like towards December I will be back in the full swing. I am still taking and fulfilling orders as they come in, but my design work is being stretched between so many fronts right now that its hard to come up with anything new.

Thanks in advance for your understanding!

I like #3 too.

OK, test 1 complete. Ive found a few issues.

1. Need to stabilize the inks so they dont burnish. its not smudging, just an issue with matte black.
  2. need to adjust the print for the pins that the needles rest on.
  3. need to adjust my print slightly and the cut for the fuel and battery.
  4. have to add the slots for the little circle clips that go under the needles.
  5. May have to order a new cutter. Hope not... cant afford out of pocket and haven't found one that will do what I need. Anyone here have a die cutter with optical alignment you want to rent out time on?
  6. still need to test with lights, meaning i need to tear out my wife's dash. She doesn't like that.

Overall, I love the look. Your thoughts?

20130108_214002.jpg

I like it.
How about a little arrow next to the fuel tank symbol pointing to the side that the fuel fill is on. I have over 10 cars, and they are all different, and I hate it when I pull up to the wrong side of the pump.

I like it.
How about a little arrow next to the fuel tank symbol pointing to the side that the fuel fill is on. I have over 10 cars, and they are all different, and I hate it when I pull up to the wrong side of the pump.

Its busy on there, but we can see what can be done :)

(Luckily, all the bikes fill up in the same spot)

Back