• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you are thinking about running Spring Creek...

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Plan on turning left at Saxon Road. The switchbacks above Georgetown have some rocks blocking the trail.

No telling when Clear Creek County will get that cleaned up.

Saxon170a.jpg

It was a good day, Dannan! My first trip to the hills this year. I wouldn't go until I swapped out that noisy D-35.

I learned that:
a) The center of the D-44, truely does hang lower than the D-35.
b) My tars must be reaching the ground, because I did not seem to have much trouble running open/open.
c) The limited slip in the ol' D-35 may have been worn out for longer than I realize.

On to the picture whoring!

I saw a few of these:

Saxon153a.jpg

A few of those:

Saxon138a.jpg

Some of this:

Saxon139a.jpg

Some of that:

Saxon165a.jpg

Every time I get to the summit, there is something to make it different from every other time I've been there:

Saxon142a.jpg

Saxon149a.jpg

Saxon151a.jpg

Best of all, I didn't break a damn thing! :)

Plan on turning left at Saxon Road. The switchbacks above Georgetown have some rocks blocking the trail.

No telling when Clear Creek County will get that cleaned up.

Saxon170a.jpg

looks passable in the pic by driving over them ?

Last year we had a friend in our group drive over big boulders left there from a slide ,but he was worried if he took a line close to mountain side he may lean and scuff the paint ...so he took his line right on the edge of the shelf road and after yelling we got him stopped just as his back tire was partly off the shelf and front was on the edge while both driver side was up high on a 3ft tall slab of loose rock that was rolling as he tried to move...2hrs... 6 men...and a strap to pull boulders out from under his jeep since it was a non winchable situation ,and a chisel/sledge hammer to bust up the 1000+lb one wedged under his driver side...all so he could move without sliding off ... Somehow scuffing the paint vs a tumble down the hill side overlooking scenic i-70 seems to favor scuffing the paint ?

I still maintain a stock Samurai is all you need. :D

SpringCreek10-1.jpg

Although they do tend to fall through the ice when snow bashing at Eagle Rock
22.jpg

AvsXJ99 said:
Is that the trail that runs up from Georgetown up and over to Chicago Creek road (103) outside of Idaho Springs?
Yes, it is (FS 712.1).

collkid said:
Where's pics to your Jeep? Aren't you pretty close to stock?
I took only one, at the summit. Pretty boring actually, but that suits me. For the record, I took my small and dainty Jeep up Cascade Creek. It was fun! :)

Saxon162a.jpg

deedubb said:
Where is this place at? It looks really nice
This area is to the South of Idaho Springs and Georgetown. There are several easy to moderate trails in the area. If you are a history buff, there are still remains of the old mining settlements.

1-tonxj said:
looks passable in the pic by driving over them ?
It was kinda funny, a group of three, nicely built XJs came up as I was taking pictures. After they looked it over, one of the guys told me "I know I can do this, I just don't have the balls." I have to say, one flop and there would not be much left of your balls or your Jeep.

Saxon_07031.jpg

We did our clean up run again. A Ranger at the FS was telling me the rock slide was Clear Creek County's responsibility, but they didn't want to do anything to clear the roadway. The Ranger expressed hope the county would recognize how much traffic the road gets, and clean it up. The problem solved itself, sort of.

While we were having lunch at the summit, two new Jeeps arrived. Both were stock, one a JK, the other was (I think) an Unlimited. They told us they had come up from Georgetown and driven over the rock slide. They were a sight! One wearing flip-flops and a BSEG, the other (from Texas) still had a paper registration on his JK. Turns out they did have some wheeling experience, and had spotted each other over the slide. They both knew enough to be scared. I had to go look! We also checked the mileage from the intersection of 712.1 and 712.2C: 1-3/4 miles to the slide.

It looks like there are more than a few vehicles driving over the slide area. I remember seeing a motorcycle track a month ago. Now, the rocks are flattened out over a wider span.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT IT IS SAFE TO CROSS THE SLIDE!!!

Falling off the mountian is only one risk in crossing. There are still rocks ready to fall from above. I was nervous just standing under them, but I did it anyway. If I got beaned on the head, the news reporters would be talking about some moron who stood under a rock slide and got beaned on the head. That's a hell of a way to get your 15 minutes of fame.

The down hill side.
Saxon194a.jpg

Saxon195a.jpg

Standing at the top, looking up hill.
Saxon198a.jpg

The up hill side.

Saxon200a.jpg

looks better....i need to quit wrenching every weekend and hit some of this scenic stuff in baby jeep....old mike...you wanna run that next weekend?
edit: i feel i may get my ass kicked tomorrow over that last comment

It's my father's revenge, I lived long enough to get this old...after all. ;)

If she were to let me take her car this coming weekend, I'd want to go some other scenic place. We have more people interested in going late September, for one more Adopt-A-Road day. I'll wait to run those trails again.

I'd have to know more about your boys before I coop them up for a long-arse drive.

The hills are full of history. Some of that history, they can put their hands on.

Back