• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project regret.....

Super D

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I picked up a 1998 XJ that had been mildly and very budget minded built. When I first went to look at it it was winter time and wet, so I really didnt climb under it and take a quality look at it. Then when I picked it up it was night time. Only person to blame is myself. Some of you guys might recognize this XJ as G.P_XJ's old XJ. Yes I am the person who traded him the YJ for his XJ. A trade I now regret!

The Jeep when I brought it home.

1338478896925.jpg 1338478896547.jpg

Just put

Ok so I picked up a 1998 XJ that had been mildly and very budget minded built. When I first went to look at it it was winter time and wet, so I really didnt climb under it and take a quality look at it. Then when I picked it up it was night time. Only person to blame is myself. Some of you guys might recognize this XJ as G.P_XJ's old XJ. Yes I am the person who traded him the YJ for his XJ. A trade I now regret!

The Jeep when I brought it home.
If you didn't inspect it, like you said, you only have yourself to blame, no matter how bad a shape it was in.

If you didn't inspect it, like you said, you only have yourself to blame, no matter how bad a shape it was in.

Exactly,thats why I said it I have only myself to blame. Hind sight is always 50/50. So we are clear I am not starting this thread to cause any problems or trouble. I am doing it to document my journey through the rebuild.

Those pieces that came out of the heim look like high misalignment spacers.

Ok now that I got the pic attaching thing figured out here we go! Now he did tell me that it was in a front end collision and he took it to a frame shop and they told him it was good. This is what I found around the steering gear box.
IMGP0389.jpg

IMGP0385.jpg

And the other damage to the front.

IMGP0384.jpg

IMGP0388.jpg

IMGP0387.jpg

IMGP0386.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There were other areas as well that I documented in the other thread. Now on to what I have planned. I had traded my '92 YJ project for some rear alcan springs, AGR hyrdo assist gear box and ram, and the RE long arms I already sold. Then with the money from the long arms I picked up some Ruff Stuff frame stiffeners, and H.D Offroad shackle relocation brackets, and WJ knuckles and brake kit from the pick and pull.

I am waiting to get the frame are straightened out and plate it before I decide on what long arm kit I get. I sold the short arms and drop bracket to Flores that were on the Jeep when I got it.

Last edited:
Bummer for sure! I agree with Dutch about the spacers. Although, I've had to wrassle mine out after being installed for some time.

Do me a favor? When you paste the image code, hit the enter key twice before pasting the next image code? Please??? :)

was gonna say. You don't know what misalignment spacers are?

Some of that stuff is pretty hack (lack of collision repair, welding the light bar on, the rear shock mounts, and somewhat the track bar drop bracket) but the rest really isn't too bad. FYI, I've had unit bearings come loose like that before as a result of a bolt that got damaged by a broken ujoint - the next time I took it apart to work on it I had the shit scared out of me, as the bolts had 1/8" of space under the heads when I had made sure to torque the hell out of them when I replaced the shaft.

At least the unibody looks fairly rust free, aside from where it's been cut/ground/welded. The first time I got under my first XJ, I discovered I could see the carpet in all the wrong places.

I thought the frame had been fixed at a shop already? He had just gotten that steering from ballistic???

Yeah, really doesn't look all that bad. Well, minus the welding of the light bar to the roof. Rear shock mounts are kind of ghetto but thats a lot easier fix than what I've had to do in the past.

So what are you doing with those 35" KM1's? All these things you've tried to sell me, and you completely ignore what I really want. :D

What you mean "all the things I tried selling you" was just some control arms when you posted you were looking for some! But they are not for sale at this time, I can't replace them for what I paid for them, $625 for 5 of them brand new with stickers still on them from CL. They might be after I do the WJ knuckle swap and see if they clear. If not then they will be when I have to go up in wheel size to clear.

Back