• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock reservoir placement

sallys xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey you desert spee types. Im slowly getting my xj in to the speed portion of the desert but at times i like to still put it in 4lo and crawl the rocks so those of you running a shock with a remote reservoir where is yours mounted? Mine are currently mounted on the shocks but when i flex the front jeep the tires get stuffed in the wheel wells and are causing to pinch the braided lines. SO where are yours mounted and how. Thanks.

The Jeepspeed guys all mount the reservoirs on the shock body. Probably the best location for a prerunner build too.
There's a rule book limitation for Jeepspeed: "no cutting the inner fenders."
Because of this, any mounting location inside the fender has the reservoir line cross the pinch seam, where it will get ripped off(even if the pinch seam is pounded flat) if the tire gets stuffed up into the well to far.

Post a pic of your installation, and maybe someone here can suggest a better routing for the lines, or a workable location for the reservoir.

Some more info...

Im running a Rough Country 6.5" lift w/custom RK 3 link LA w/ Bilstein 5165's converted and tuned I get about 5" of up travel and close to 13" down on 35's. Iam starting to race in the Dirt Riot series while still building my xj to meet KOH EMC rules. So i can cut inner fenders or anything like that. Suggestions?

Here is a picture. Sorry crappy cell phone picture and kinda dirty as i just got back from wheeling in Table Mesa.

419316_401705886511133_100000151745366_1814584_1491373767_n.jpg

Thanks again

The Jeepspeed guys all mount the reservoirs on the shock body. Probably the best location for a prerunner build too.
Because of this, any mounting location inside the fender has the reservoir line cross the pinch seam, where it will get ripped off(even if the pinch seam is pounded flat) if the tire gets stuffed up into the well to far.

Post a pic of your installation, and maybe someone here can suggest a better routing for the lines, or a workable location for the reservoir.
advice taken..info and picture posted.

uh wut? 17" of travel? and if your tire is rubbing the coil tower, thats WAY too high dude, you need bumpstops.

No its a 13" travel shock...Yes im getting bumpstops. Bilstein is building me a set of foam filled ones similar to daystar stingers and yes im going to limit strap it too. But in the mean time what is a better way to mount the reservoir.

Are those swivel fittings on the braided line?

If so, just turn then 180º and put a loom clamp with a bolt through the inner fender. They should be up and out of the way of the tire then.

The Jeepspeed Rule is true, but you can mount the reservoir anywhere INSIDE the OUTER Fender. The rule basically means that you can't put anything inside the engine compartment.

JeepSpeeds typically use a long reservoir line from a bypass style reservoir outlet on the bottom of the shock and mount the reservoir to the outside of the inner fender...

FabtechJeep_9_26_07_03.jpg

or they keep it piggybacked from the bottom bypass outlet if they can fit it in.

jeepbajafab011.jpg

There's shock theory for why it's better to keep the reservoir outlet on the bottom, but I'll leave that for another thread.

Are those swivel fittings on the braided line? If so, just turn then 180º and put a loom clamp with a bolt through the inner fender. They should be up and out of the way of the tire then.

Yes they are

show more pics of your LCA setup
Here is a build thread on another fourm most of the build pictures of the 3 Link LA is on page 18
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?44526-95-XJ-build/page18

The Jeepspeed Rule is true, but you can mount the reservoir anywhere INSIDE the OUTER Fender. The rule basically means that you can't put anything inside the engine compartment.

JeepSpeeds typically use a long reservoir line from a bypass style reservoir outlet on the bottom of the shock and mount the reservoir to the outside of the inner fender...

FabtechJeep_9_26_07_03.jpg

or they keep it piggybacked from the bottom bypass outlet if they can fit it in.

jeepbajafab011.jpg

There's shock theory for why it's better to keep the reservoir outlet on the bottom, but I'll leave that for another thread.

Thanks for the input guys. I went this route instead...Seems out of the way and the hose is zipp-tied to the clamps but still has some play for movement just not as much.

430176_402310663117322_100000151745366_1816845_2052361045_n.jpg

Back