• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure regulator replacement issues

dutchjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

This morning, while checking the oil, I noticed a slight gas smell around the fuel pressure regulator (FPR), and with the engine running I noticed a very light fuel mist coming out between the FPR and the rail. O-rings appeared worn out.

Local Napa only had the complete unit, and since I didn't have much time, I decided to just take it and put it in. Looks similar (not exactly the same), fits VERY tight, but engine does not want to run (it runs, barely, very irregular, and will stall: not good). To make sure that it is the FPR, I put the old one back in ...and engine is fine. Did I just got a lemon? I will get another one for trying tomorrow (they had to order).

Is there a difference between 1991 and 1992 FPR's? Just wondering. My title says jeep is a 1992 (first titled), but was manufactured in 1991. I thought fuel system (and FPR) was the same, but just want to make sure. The 1991 FPR on napa site seems to have a different part number than 1992.

Since this is taking more time than planned anyway (well, i never planned for it to start leaking in the first place:)), would a jeep dealer sell the o-rings separate? I'll call around tomorrow.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

I have the same leaky FPR o-ring issue. I thought it was the regulator and i've been through 4 junkyard ones, with no solution to the problem. I think the main issue is the o-rings, I have yet to try and find the correct o-ring set without going to the dealer but i would bet that is the solution to both of our problems.

fix it right before the jeep burns down, XJs are known for car-b-ques because of leaky injector or fuel rail o-rings. the kicker is the fire starts directly under the hood release cable and it becomes the first casualty resulting in a fire you cannot open the hood to extinguish.

I have the same leaky FPR o-ring issue. I thought it was the regulator and i've been through 4 junkyard ones, with no solution to the problem. I think the main issue is the o-rings, I have yet to try and find the correct o-ring set without going to the dealer but i would bet that is the solution to both of our problems.

fix it right before the jeep burns down, XJs are known for car-b-ques because of leaky injector or fuel rail o-rings. the kicker is the fire starts directly under the hood release cable and it becomes the first casualty resulting in a fire you cannot open the hood to extinguish.

Napa has the o-ring kits. I think the OE part number is 83502545. Same as some GM vehicles.

Thanks guys, just installed a different FPR (napa traded the one that did not work) and this one seems fine. Not sure what was going on. Anyway, I had already ordered the o-rings at the jeep dealer (pick up tomorrow) and will probably just go back to the original FPR with fresh o-rings. Although $30 for a set of o-rings is pretty steep, it still beats $75 for the whole FPR unit.

I asked Napa whether they had the o-rings and they said they don't carry them but they could get them for me through the dealer. I figured I might as well get them from the dealer myself in that case.

Thanks again for the input. Grimm good luck with yours!

I thought those FPR / rail orings were the same as the fuel injector orings (top and bottom)? I buy a pack of 12-14 at Azone for about $10

Back