• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4.0 swap into 2000

Showtime3492

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I have been searching this for like 3 hours now to try to cover all the bases but seem to be coming up with less than satisfying info. I have a good running 4.0 from a 98 i want to swap into a 2000. I know that the 98 is distributor and the 00 coilpack.
I know i also have to make tabs for the coilpack to mount off of. easy but what else is there to do??
Indexing the coilpack to the cam gear?
Help is appreciated if i get grilled so be it just tryin to further grasp this swap.

I don't know this for a fact but I would think you would just pull the distributor out and stab the cam positition sensor in its place. For the coils you could run 3 seperate 2 coil packs instead of the coil rail. That way you wouldn't have to worry about mounting the coil rail.

The '98 and 2000 had different intakes and the 2000 is supposed to be better. They are a direct bolt up swap though some of the sensors are placed slightly differently.

I also think the exhaust manifolds are different. The 98 has tubular steel and I believe the 2000 uses cast iron. Taking the 2000 and putting it on the 98 motor along with the intake is pretty straight forward.

Other than that I think externally they're identicle. I know there was a change with the timing gear right around there but that makes no difference.

HTH,
B

I don't know this for a fact but I would think you would just pull the distributor out and stab the cam positition sensor in its place. For the coils you could run 3 seperate 2 coil packs instead of the coil rail. That way you wouldn't have to worry about mounting the coil rail.

The '98 and 2000 had different intakes and the 2000 is supposed to be better. They are a direct bolt up swap though some of the sensors are placed slightly differently.

I also think the exhaust manifolds are different. The 98 has tubular steel and I believe the 2000 uses cast iron. Taking the 2000 and putting it on the 98 motor along with the intake is pretty straight forward.

Other than that I think externally they're identicle. I know there was a change with the timing gear right around there but that makes no difference.

HTH,
B

Theintake willl go on the 98,but not the exhaust manifold the tubing and holes are larger. I was pretty sure that I could just swap in the coilpack and cam sensor also. Do you know how to index the cam sensor?

No but it shouldn't be too hard. Put the 2000 at TDC mark where the sensor points (the top piece comes off). Put the '98 at TDC and make sure the sensor is in the same place on the '98 as it was in the '00 and you should be good to go.

I'm surprised the exhaust wont work but I've never looked into it.

B

The exhaust will work IIRC but I'm not sure what gasket you use. Probably the 2000 and up one.

Oh ok I was under the impression it wouldn't due to them being different materials and tube sizes. I believe that is all to this swap that's different than just an 2000 to 2000 correct me if I'm wrong?? Thanks for the info !!

The ehxaust may fit, but the ports won't line up with teh manifold very well and you will only have about 1/8" for the manifold to seal on the lower part of the port. The exhaust will be hitting a brick wall on the way out. After market headers for the 2000+ should alleviate this problem as their tubes are larger.

On the sensor. There is a hole on the body and a hole in the rotating element (can't remember its proper name). Set engine to TDC, align holes in sensor drive, stick tooth pick through holes and drop in. The hole for the sensor should be pointing reward and you may have to rotate the oil pump to get it to align correctly.

Ok thanks is there any write ups on this for a visual. I'm just attempting to evaluate the options cuz I may have found a good 01 motor on Craigslist if its decent price and I can see it run AND it didn't sell yet lol. I'm pretty sure I'm goin to be doin the 98-00 swap though cuz I wanna keep the cost down as best as possible

the 00-01 motors are known for cracking heads. if the casting number is 0331 (it's between the 3 and 4 cylinders on the driver side top of the head casting) make sure it's stamped TUPY somewhere, those are supposedly the better 0331 casting that doesn't crack.

Talyn, good to know about the manifold, I'm not as well informed on the head swap details as I wish I was.

If your '98 is a good runner I'd likely stick with that. The distributor and intake are no big thing and you could also keep the 98 exhaust manifold if you just run the '98 front exhaust pipe. Though the '98 exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. For the coils I would run 3 of these, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8224/ . That saves you from having to try to mount the stock coil rail and I'm sure they also have much more spark energy than the OEM coils.

One thing I'd like to mention. For you it would likely make sense to run the '00 intake because that is what is coming out of the Jeep and therefore the sensor wiring would all be in the correct place. Otherwise I personally don't think the newer intake swap is worth much. It looks like it would be as the newer intake appears to be a much better design but in practice I don't believe it adds much if any HP.

The reason I say this is because I did the swap. A seat of the pants dyno is the most unreliable way to measure changes, so those saying it made a difference and myself saying it didn't have the same chance of being wrong. In my case even if it did make a difference that could be measured on a dyno, it made no difference that I could feel. On my Jeep, I had the '00 intake, an open element cone filter, smooth transition intake elbows, and a high flow exhaust from the cat back and also had a high flow cat. I didn't change the exhaust manifold because aside from their cracking issues I've always felt the tubular Jeep manifolds were a pretty decent design. I never felt the Jeep made more or less power from any of the changes but it did sound pretty nice.

As I said for you I'd swap the intakes just because the sensor wiring would work best this way, but I thought I'd mention not to expect any power differences either way.

B

Talyn, good to know about the manifold, I'm not as well informed on the head swap details as I wish I was.

Here is an image from a rubbing I did of two heads illustrating the difference in the exhaust ports. The grey is the 0331, red is 0630
heads.jpg

As well as one showing the 0331 gasket on a 0630 head
P1050100.jpg

Thanks!
Ok so this project is almost ready to start but here is what i am woried about. The bad engine is seized and cannot be set at TDC to keep the cam sensor in sync, as i was going to set both engines at TDC that way I would think it would be indexed when i installed the cam sensor into the good formerly distributor engine. What do i do here?

Google "Jeep Toothpick test" and read the PDF file SCAN TOOLS, O-SCOPES AND TOOTHPICKS, or get a Factory Service Manual.

Google "Jeep Toothpick test" and read the PDF file SCAN TOOLS, O-SCOPES AND TOOTHPICKS, or get a Factory Service Manual.

Thanks. Kinda off topic question but is there any reason you woukd remove the cat o2 sensor cuz I think this jeep had it removed I remeber seeing it pluged with no sensor but that wouldnt make sense cuz of the list of issues it will cause. If it is removed anyone have ideas in what to do or how to splice in a new one?

A functional catalytic converter and functional 02 sensors should be installed. The environmental Nazi's are looking for any excuse to keep 4x4's out of the woods and wilderness, the Jeep will run better with them, and the exhaust is cleaner too.

A functional catalytic converter and functional 02 sensors should be installed. The environmental Nazi's are looking for any excuse to keep 4x4's out of the woods and wilderness, the Jeep will run better with them, and the exhaust is cleaner too.

Yeah I umderstand that. The jeep actually has a new cat back exhaust on it the one from ironrockoffroad.com so when I crawled under it and saw a plug in am o2 sensor hole I was surprised. I'm basically asking cuz im worried they p/o may have hacked the wires out and if so I was wondering if there's a way and where to splice one in too. I fully understand the Nazis attacking jeeps I am experiencing it with my present xj that is going to be parts donor to this xj cuz it is newer and the body floors etc are all solid and it doesnt have some of the issues mine now has developed

Splice the wires as needed. If you can find the section of wire with O2 plug you need at the junkyard, grab that.

Back