• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj electrical issue

indy30

NAXJA Forum User
Began weeks ago when hard starting. Finally got started, but seemed to run with less power. Got home, let it sit for few days. Wouldn't start. On odometer, said "no bus". Gauges didn't work, fuel pump not working. New battery, cps, still no start. Got under jeep, took apart fuel pump connector, plugged back in, tried to take apart camshaft pos sensor but didn't. Started right up. Hum! Dielectric grease fuel pump connector, tape up real good. Cleared bus code. Fixed? Ran fine for half day. On way back from fishing, gauges started dropping out and engine started bucking momentarily at times. Not consistantly. Managed to get home. Starts up fine, no obd2 codes. Bad sensor? Camshaft pos sensor? Alternator? Fuel pump?
Where to look? Checked dash connectors ok.
I appreciate any thoughts. Pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I have a good code reader but nothing comes up.
Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Check out all the 5v sensor wiring. A shorted 5v sensor will cause the issues you are describing. CPS TPS, O2, MAP, Battery, Am I missing any more?

My2001 XJ has had all sorts of electrical problems.
This is what I have done to cure problems similar to yours.

Disassemble every plug you can get to and butter the contacts with dielectric grease.
On obviously corrode plugs, I spray them with Deoxit, a commercial contact cleaner and protectant.
http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeoxIT-S...BVOQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1316883585&sr=8-9

Under the dash, on the upper left driver's side, is a big, bolted together plug that has dozens of wires entering it. Disassemble and treat. Make sure it is fully pressed back together and the bolt is tight. This connection causes a lot of problems.

Pull the instrument panel and treat the two sets of contacts on the rear of the panel with dielectric grease or Deoxit spray. Push in and out several times to make sure the contact is good.

Think I found the problem. One of the 3 connectors on left back side of engine. Wiggled connectors and lost power to dash and "no bus" message came back. Pulled connectors apart and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. All seems ok now. We'll see.

Think I found the problem. One of the 3 connectors on left back side of engine. Wiggled connectors and lost power to dash and "no bus" message came back. Pulled connectors apart and sprayed with electrical contact cleaner. All seems ok now. We'll see.

Suggest that you keep going and take every plug apart that you can get to, for cleaning and a wipe with dielectric grease. Odds are if one plug is bad, more are too.
I have not seen worse electrical systems since the old days working on VWs and British cars. Ahhh... Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Back