• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are all xj doors created equal?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me out with a small problem I am having. I am still very much a newbie to this xj thing, so I am wondering if any door off any year would fit my 99? I need both driver side doors the tailgate. The pull apart near me has a lot of them in stock. Thank you again for all your help.

-Jason

Re: are all xj doorss created equal?

You need them from a 1997 or newer.

I've seen 96 and older doors on a 97 and newer, and vice versa. They all should "fit" but "look" correct, not so much.

There was a change in the latches some time between 95 and 99, which I am guessing occurs in 97. The earlier latch uses a single post, the later one a U-shaped post. Looking at the two, it appears that the slot in the door of the earlier type is shaped a bit differently from the later, owing to the T-shaped profile of the post. I don't know how this affects the interchange, but I suspect you'd have some issues swapping the two unless you can also swap the posts.

xjdoorcomparison.jpg

Yeap you have to swap the posts to make the latches interchange. Also the door internals changed a bit too, such as rod placement and the holes for the plastic anchors. Lot of work but it's possible.

I've seen 96 and older doors on a 97 and newer, and vice versa. They all should "fit" but "look" correct, not so much.

Not sure why anyone would want to do that. My opinion is that would look like hell. The body lines won't line up and I *think* the top of the doors on the 97 up models are more rounded.

Hi everyone thanks for all the help. I am learning a lot, and this is a fun recreation to be involved in. I can, however, see it is going to be an expensive one. I am looking forward to getting my xj put back together and back out on the trails.

I think the change is around 97. I have swapped XJ doors from a 95 onto my 90 MJ without problem and have now swapped a set of 99 XJ doors (including the liftgate) onto my 97 XJ. About the only thing that seems a bit off for my 97 are some gaps at this point - which to me means I need to keep shimming.

Not sure why anyone would want to do that. My opinion is that would look like hell. The body lines won't line up and I *think* the top of the doors on the 97 up models are more rounded.

the lines on all of the doors are the same. the only differences for 97+ being the one piece window, better side view mirror, and different internals for the windows and all that. but looks wise they match perfectly.

I could almost see retrofitting older doors with operating vent windows into a 97+. Not really worth the effort, but I sure do miss the breeze. I hate having to run the AC when all I really want is a little wind.

how do you adjust them? mine leaked air, and water, so badly that i siliconed them shut

how do you adjust them? mine leaked air, and water, so badly that i siliconed them shut
There are a few things you can do, assuming the gasket itself is in good shape.

First, you have to make sure the door itself isn't bent, and if it's not meeting at the top pull it back into shape. That will influence how the window seats in it as well.

Second, you can loosen the phillips screw on the top pivot, and move the glass forward and back a bit if it's not seating well on the gasket. Oddly enough, this has more effect than you'd think.

Third, if the latch is loose, you can remove the latch handle (held on by a little roll pin) and tighten the post in the glass, which is held by a phillips screw in the hollow post. Don't lose the wavy washer.

If the gasket is a little wrinkled or bent from long misalignment, you can retrain it a bit if you keep adjusting it so it seats on the glass. A little silicone grease on the mating surfaces will stop much of the leakage.

Back