• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Orvis RHD

'99Orvis

NAXJA Forum User
Some of you guys might be interested in my xj here in the UK. It's an Orvis 4.0 auto with the 242 transfer case. The Orvis is a model only available in Europe and is a higher spec than the Limited. On top of all the stuff standard on a Limited is has extra leather and fake wood inside, all the options including computer, Infinity sound system with amp and changer, auto headlamp levelling and fake hood vents and rear spoiler.

I bought it nearly two years ago with 70k miles with only one owner and pretty immaculate. Since then I've lifted it 3" with Rough Country front springs and shocks and rear springs from a company here in the UK. Also some 31" tyres. Other than that it's pretty stock. Plans for the future are maybe some recovery points and sliders. I've taken it on a few trails but don't want to damage it too much!

Let me know what you think!

Jeep016.jpg

Jeep007.jpg

Jeep009.jpg

IMG_0102-1.jpg

IMG_0105-1.jpg

they installed your steering wheel on the wrong side :D

nice looking xj

were those wheelwell compartments stock?

She's purdy! Too bad the hood vents aren't functional, bet they'd be a popular upgrade if they were. I think it's funny you actually made time to hit a junkyard while visiting Las Vegas, you must have Jeep fever pretty bad...

Very nice!

I would love to have the headlamp levellers - any chance you're making a run to the scrapyard soon? :D

Very nice!

I would love to have the headlamp levellers - any chance you're making a run to the scrapyard soon? :D

x2!

Nice clean rig. I always enjoy seeing xjs across the pond.

If I lived in the UK, i'd have an XJ just like that. Looks awesome!

Pretty cool that they were using auto-leveling head lights in 99 over in the UK. That's something that hasn't really come about over here until recently (that i'm aware of).

I wonder what kind of motor set up is behind the head lights...and how hard it'd be to adapt to a US spec XJ....hmmmmmmmm

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's an ebay link for the console with leveller if you're interested, not sure exactly what is behind the headlights though:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jeep-Cherokee..._CarParts_SM&hash=item35ab614d0f#ht_500wt_922

Thanks for that; I've sent him a message to see if he has one in woodgrain.

From looking at the FSM, it seems as though (in addition to the switch) there's a levelling motor and a linkage that it actuates held in place by a bracket. That's in addition to whatever wiring harnesses those may require - so the parts count at least looks relatively low.

Pretty cool that they were using auto-leveling head lights in 99 over in the UK.

My '87 Citröen 2CV had adjustable headlamps - there was a knob next to the driver's knee that turned a screw drive which in turn directly raised or lowered the headlamp bracket :D Really simple, but effective. FWIW, I seem to recall that it was required for vehicles where the lower edge of the headlamps were more than x inches from the ground.

What's interesting is that the centre bezels used for the XJs with the headlamp levellers appears to be a slightly different moulding to the US models:

GRWeF.jpg

Note how the switch itself is set back into a slight recess, but that entire area on the US-market part is smooth. Interesting that they didn't just cut a hole and cram the switch in.

That picture is deceptive. Here's one of mine that shows the switch surround with the markings on it stands proud of the console. I think they did just cut a hole and stuff it in!
Ebaystuff.jpg

Lots (probably most) of cars on sale here have headlight levellers. The theory is that when you're fully loaded your headlights point at the sky and dazzle oncoming traffic. They're certainly mandatory on all cars with HIDs.

Man, thats a pretty jeep. I was figuring you had an orvis ZJ and were on the wrong site but I guess not! :D

That picture is deceptive. Here's one of mine that shows the switch surround with the markings on it stands proud of the console. I think they did just cut a hole and stuff it in!

You're dead right - it's easier to see what's going on with your woodgrain bezel vs. the plain grey one I referred to, and it certainly does appear as though they just cut a hole and stuck it in. At least I know I only need the switch now, which should cut down on shipping eventually.

That woodgrain transmission shifter bezel needs to go on the list as well - and I'd also go for the ashtray but that's where my seat heater switches are, and they're only slightly more important ;)

I'm also liking the full-size spare tyre cover with the storage pockets; shame my spare is too large to fit in that space!

Lots (probably most) of cars on sale here have headlight levellers. The theory is that when you're fully loaded your headlights point at the sky and dazzle oncoming traffic. They're certainly mandatory on all cars with HIDs.

What is the switch the the right of the fog lamp switch used for?

looks like driving lights or rear fogs. I forget which was on euro XJs.

I think the only thing I would love to DD more than your XJ is an MJ built the same way, with a factory diesel and a 5 speed... that is one beautiful XJ.

Back