• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix surging and bogging

87woody-atl

NAXJA Forum User
4.0 aw4, I'm sure some of u guys know me well here for trying to fix my rig, well I finially got it started but now another problem. It runs but if u give it any gas it falls on it face, it bogs, surges, basically doesn't want to drive unless u barely give it gas.
So what should I look at..
Stuff new:
Tps
Cps
Ground and pos wires
Distrib cap and rotor button

Make sure the arm on the TPS is on the correct side of the butterfly bellcrank. An easy way to tell is to open the throttle by hand while watching the TPS. The TPS shaft should turn.

Maybe you should restate the original problems and work performed?

Did you have the distributor out?

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to bring an old thread back to life, but i never got to figuring out the problem with my jeep, due to a car accident that put me in the hospital.

to answer the above questions: the method of adjusting the tps was this web site, http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl232i.htm

and yes the tps was put on correctly, when you turn the throttle the tps "arm" moves.

to give background on the jeep,as joe has asked, i blew the motor last year, and put a new one in, i swapped all accessories and the distributor(went from non-ho to HO)

for indexing the distributor i turned the crank till tdc on the compression stroke, and turned the distributor till it was pointing at cylinder 1.

Now ive got to say the gas that is in there is old, like 6 months old

it cranks up fine, just it has a knock that you can hear, and when ever you give it gas, it boggs and shudders, and the knocking gets faster with the more gas(throttle) you give it.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to give background on the jeep,as joe has asked, i blew the motor last year, and put a new one in, i swapped all accessories and the distributor(went from non-ho to HO)

Didn't see your original thread on the swap....so forgive the not knowing part of your engine exchange info.
The Renix is a NON-HO.....Don't know which way you went with the swap.

If you have some of the HO parts...which is what I read into the statement you have made above (that I highlited in red), could this be the problem?

dist. one tooth off can get you same symptoms.

any smoke from the tail pipe? MAP sensor not receiving vacuum signal will get you an overly rich condition that will keep you from being able to give it throttle.

the motor went from the non-HO(the one i blew) to a HO motor. all the accessories are the original non-HO

if that helps

so would an over rich condition give me the knock that im hearing?
i thought that was a lean condition....

so when i index the distrib. should i set it at cylinder 1, (eg. the button should be touching the caps pin for cylinder one) or should it be right before it or should it be right after it.

Back