• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Rock wheeling trip labor day weekend

Sweet,Glad you can make it..Weather for the weekend is lookin' good

Nick

So the NAXJA guys showed up first:
BR01.jpg

By the time we got all the doors off and stacked on my trailer, it looked like a flea market...
BR02.jpg

Headed down the trail
BR03.jpg

With the CORE hangers-on :D
BR04.jpg

Until... Trouble!
BR05.jpg

So we all got out to watch...
BR06.jpg

As Nick got to work clearing the way and saving the day:
BR07.jpg

And we were off again.
BR08.jpg

By the way, look at the damn sexy XJ...
BR09.jpg

Jerry nosing down the waterfall:
BR10.jpg

And El Presidente de CORE following:
BR11.jpg

Then heading back up the other side, CattyChick in tow.
BR12.jpg

With a hulking blue Yota hot on his heels.
BR13.jpg

Meanwhile, the NAXJA guys were busy breaking stuff...
BR14.jpg

Here I'm missing a bunch of pics. I buried mine up to the rockers, trying to help some kid on a quad. Nick busted a D30 shaft, too, so we took turns running up and down "Jeep Hill" while he changed it.

We finally made our way back to the gnarley creekbed/hillclimb that Nick has dubbed "Bypass." It was rough enough that I didn't get a chance for any pics, til this group shot of the ones who made it:
BR15.jpg

Coming back down was gutentite, especially for Tom's MJ
BR16.jpg

BR17.jpg

Shameless poser flex shot while I waited my turn:
BR18.jpg

Then back into the creek, where we promptly put Nick back to work.
BR19.jpg

And finally up to the lookout, for another pretty poser shot...
BR20.jpg

Before the neighborhood went straight to hell...
BR21.jpg

Yes, I think Scott is picking his nose.

:cheers:
Robert

Looks much better than I remember it. So I have a question. If I went and took my Yj but responded to the Naxja post would I be considered Naxja or Core?

Looks much better than I remember it...

I didn't get pics of any of the good stuff. I hope Nick got some of "Bypass," a rocky creekbed about halfway back on the far right side of the park.

It's about 150yards of rocks, ledges, and creek trees, which takes you up to a huge deadfall. The only way out is to take the "bypass" out of the creekbed: a HARD right turn up a crazy-steep hillclimb, up to the clearing where I took the pics.

After my camera died :mad: we went back to the far southeast corner of the park, to Widowmaker. Simply the longest, steepest, highest, scariest hill I've ever seen.

I know Nick got video of it, but you know how steep hills never show up on-screen.

It was dry enough that we got decent traction, and everybody with the nerve to try managed to make it. But it was so steep and high, it honestly scared the crap out of me. I'm glad I did it, but I won't run it again.

I don't ever remember being afraid in my jeep before, but that hill did it.

If I went and took my Yj but responded to the Naxja post would I be considered Naxja or Core?

That's easy: It would depend how your YJ did! :D If it kicked ass all day, like I figure it would, we'd definitly claim you.

If it busted backing off the trailer, well, we've never seen that CORE guy before! :wave1:

Robert

(Lest anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm a proud, longtime member of both NAXJA and CORE, the Cincinnati Off Road Enthusiasts. All ribbing and rivalry is strictly good natured!)

I've started organizing the stuff from my GPS from yesterday.

Widowmaker runs right up to the property line, where the topography lines get a little buggered up.

But near as I can tell, Widowmaker climbs about 175 feet, in less than a hundred yards.

Robert

Nick and Tom were playing with their shafts again? :D

Looks much better than I remember it. So I have a question. If I went and took my Yj but responded to the Naxja post would I be considered Naxja or Core?

Like Robert,I'm a pride and long standing member of both NAXJA and CORE.I hope to be a member for as long as they wish..I welcome all wheelers to join in yesterday..So,there are no boundries when you wheel with us..I have a question???Are you a member?

I know Nick got video of it, but you know how steep hills never show up on-screen.

It was dry enough that we got decent traction, and everybody with the nerve to try managed to make it. But it was so steep and high, it honestly scared the crap out of me. I'm glad I did it, but I won't run it again.

I don't ever remember being afraid in my jeep before, but that hill did

Robert

(Lest anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm a proud, longtime member of both NAXJA and CORE, the Cincinnati Off Road Enthusiasts. All ribbing and rivalry is strictly good natured!)

Ladies and gentlemen heres Widowmaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZhSDirEYg

Nick

Last edited:
Well I see why they call it big rock! :D

Trip looked like alot of fun.... Wish I could have made been there. I'm glad to see that we have another good wheeling option so close to Cincinnati. Big Rock is definetly on my short list of places to visit next.

jim

Trip looked like alot of fun.... Wish I could have made been there. I'm glad to see that we have another good wheeling option so close to Cincinnati. Big Rock is definetly on my short list of places to visit next.

jim

We ran into a buddy of yours, or a neighbor, something. He was there on a quad, said he had a big bad yota at home...

Nick mighta caught his name, I didn't.

See you next time!

Robert

Sorry Robert,I don't remember his name. Jim, he was your neighbor.

Heres the rest of my vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zgMTVSeLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQz91UCHbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVDjCDDDY2g

This is a great place, with alot of challenging trails and hills we wheeled.. Hope to get more video next time. It was a great time,with great people to spend the day with. Hope to do it again ..

Nick

pics here
http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/xjwheeling/Big Rock sept 2010/

Back