• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Problem on 98 Related to Searched Thread

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'll keep this short since the AC posts lately have been plentiful. I have the partial AC operation so many folks have on their 97+ XJs. Mine is a 98 and the system works fine for awhile and then cuts out with no pattern I can decipher. I know when it cuts out that the compressor clutch is not cycling.

Here's the thread I found that matches what I have going on
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1034576&highlight=air+conditioning

My question is in regards to something xj_mike did. I believe my problem results from the compressor clutch not engaging or failing to engage after the engine gets hot. How do I adjust the gap here or remove the shim in the clutch pack that is referenced in this thread? When my AC clutch engages, the system works beautifully and puts out freezing cold air. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I'm tired of wondering whether I'll have a sweaty drive home or not.

I don't get a big puddle after parking(evaporator freeze-up) and its not the low pressure switch. The sytem also seems to hold a charge as it's still working sporadically since the recharge last summer.

Examples of strange operation:
yesterday AC worked for 12 minutes before clutch stopped engaging at 75 degrees
Day before yesterday AC worked for 60+ minutes in 95+ degree heat.
(gotta love the overhead console with temp gauge)

Thank you.

Last edited:
go the the sanden website and d/l the compressor manual. You find out how to remove the shim(s) and measure the proper gap.

I thought I would update this thread and take a moment to thank Saudade and everyone else on this forum for the continued information that makes owning an XJ so much fun and so easy. Last night I removed the AC clutch to see about taking a shim out. Thanks to the previous threads I read up on the process took about 10 minutes. The clutch was easy to pry out carefully by applying gentle pressure on all sides. It slowly but sure worked it's way down the shaft until I could pull it off by hand. At that point I noticed I only had one shim to work with. The back of the clutch definitely had some rust on it so I took some time and sanded it along with using a wire brush. I tried removing the shim and re-assembled the whole unit. Upon re-installation I tried to move the clutch by hand and found that there was too much resistance. I took it apart again and put the shim back in. I applied a little anti-sieze to the threads and re-assembled the clutch again making sure to blow off any dust from the sanding process. I put the fan shroud back in and fired it up. MY AC WORKS PERFECTLY NOW! There must have been just enough rust on the magnet surface to prevent the clutch from engaging when it was hot. I drove around for 30 minutes and did several stops and starts of the system with perfect function. It also worked flawlessly this morning.

So again, thank you to everyone on this forum. If I had taken this to an AC shop they would have undoubtedly charged me hundreds to replace parts when all it needed was a little sand paper and about 10 minutes. You guys all rock and happy Jeepin'!

Glad you got it working.

Now that you've "learned to fish", please share it with others.

Back