• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Totaled the XJ... now what?

yzergod

NAXJA Forum User
My son wrecked his '99 XJ Sport yesterday. He was very lucky in that he only needed a few stitches on his leg. Of course, Murphy waited until after we picked it up from the shop the day before. $1000.17 up in smoke. Radiator, Optima, air conditioning, all toast. Front axle broke at the ds lower control arm mount, but rest of it looks ok. Ds motor mount looks off, but the rest of the drive train looks to be ok. I know that the 4.0/tranny/NP231 should all be ready to go into another vehicle as we just had the shop dial it in.

So, my questions...

No ticket, so should we eat it and NOT deal with insurance? With my $250 deductible, can't see them giving me more than $2000 for it. To buy it back and keep the drive train for another rig would probably net me $1400 at best. Would it be worth the spike in my insurance? Anybody been there/done that and have any input?

Second, do you think it is worth trying to salvage the drive train? Options include buying another titled rig that needs engine/tranny/etc, cutting everything off and turning it into a caged beast, or parting it out to those in need. Thoughts? Thanks!

DSC03271.jpg
DSC03275.jpg

DSC03279.jpg
DSC03333.jpg

DSC03334.jpg
DSC03335.jpg

DSC03336.jpg
DSC03337.jpg

DSC03338.jpg

Good lord man! What happened? Glad your boy is ok. I would swap the lift and such over to another rig.

Holy jeebus. Glad he's ok. I'd swap the parts over to something. If ya find something that doesn't need drivetrain, sell the parts you don't need to recoup some of the costs.

WOW no kidding on the got lucky with only a few stitches the worst part looks like the front driver side. DANG glad he's ok.

Glad he is okay... looks really bad. I've got an 01 that needs new drivetrain that I'm trying to get rid of...

Last edited:
I've got an 01 that needs new drivetrain that I'm trying to get rid of...

Main Entry: tact
Pronunciation: \ˈtakt\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch — more at tangent
Date: 1797

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception
2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

Thanks for the concern guys! He lost focus somehow (wasn't a cellphone - could have been the stereo) and dropped a tire off the road. He's not really sure. He turned into it to try and correct it back onto the road which swung the back end into the ditch. Looks like it over-corrected steering him into the only tree on that side of the road. The impact hit the ps bumper into the tire kicking the back end into the air and rotating the XJ onto it's top. Due to the angle of the road and the slope of the side hill, all of the impact from landing went at the top of the windshield. Airbags didn't deploy as the initial impact was at less than 35 mph. Had he steered downhill instead of up, he would have gone cleanly through old wooden posts and some rusty cattle fence.

Another scary aspect was that his jack (which was under the rear seat) was on the dash before we pulled it back over. The amp and speaker box stayed in the rear but neither were bolted down. His cell phone was on the roof but the battery and battery cover flew out somewhere into the grass. A lesson in crash physics taught me to re-evaluate all of the loose crapola in our vehicles!

So... shine the insurance company???

Wow, I am glad your son is ok. Those A-pillars on XJ's are like paper thin. I am an insurance adjuster, so I know a thing or two about your insurance qustions.

First off how many miles did it have?

Vehicle condition: It looks to be in pretty good shape prior to the accident. Pre-accdient condition is how they determine the value of a vehicle.

Lastly who is your insurance carrier? Most carriers use ACV (Actual Cash Value) this is the market value for the Jeep, not dealer price, typically private party price. There are a few that use NADA, Progressive is one.

I would bet the value of the Jeep is closer to $4k (depending on miles), you could probably buy it back for $750-$1000.00

Main Entry: tact
Pronunciation: \ˈtakt\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch — more at tangent
Date: 1797

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception
2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

I was editing then my phone died! Sorry to come off like a jerk. Those pics are crazy I'm really glad he is okay. I would take what you can get. Get a decent xj body and swap all the good stuff over!

First off how many miles did it have?

Vehicle condition: It looks to be in pretty good shape prior to the accident. Pre-accdient condition is how they determine the value of a vehicle.

Lastly who is your insurance carrier? Most carriers use ACV (Actual Cash Value) this is the market value for the Jeep, not dealer price, typically private party price. There are a few that use NADA, Progressive is one.

I would bet the value of the Jeep is closer to $4k (depending on miles), you could probably buy it back for $750-$1000.00

It had 145,000 miles.
It was in what Nada would classify it as "Good" condition.
Insurance is USAA.
KBB has it as Fair = $1855, Good = $2380, and Excellent = $2655 for the Private Party value. :bawl: Nada is about the same.

Thanks!

USAA just "totaled" my dually....after a bit of a fight i got what they offered and did not total it. my premium didnt go up...i had some forgiveness points saved...if you do id do it and use the extra coins to buy another XJ....as for me im pimpin a cummins dually now :)

USAA just "totaled" my dually....after a bit of a fight i got what they offered and did not total it. my premium didnt go up...i had some forgiveness points saved...if you do id do it and use the extra coins to buy another XJ....as for me im pimpin a cummins dually now :)
He slide on some ice in a parking lot dented a pos subaru (death to all subarus and their owners! :twak:) that had previous accident damage in the same spot and the guy wanted USAA to total it and write him a fat check. So, even though his XJ didn't have a scratch on it, he "used up" his forgiveness points. So, I'm pretty sure if we file a claim, my rates will double. Plus, he will have to pay out more until he's married or like 40. :smsoap:

need the AC line. its posted in the for sale section (with a picture) if you got it, and its good, ill take it

depending on price of course :) just saw your down southwest, not sure how much shipping would be and how soon i could get it (need it fairly quick)

i think that will buff out

Back