• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank strap bolts

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 jeep cherokee 4.0 and i am in the middle of changing the gas tanks only problem is the gas tank strap bolts are seized..i dont have acess to a torch so i cant heat..i soaked in penetrating fluid all day and still i know im just going to break it..

any suggestions? can u get the bolts from most automotive parts stores or do i have to get the bolts from the dealer?

Wow! Looked that up on rockauto.com. $25.99--each.

Some just heat and bend all-thread.

Screw that!

J3240023 on funjeepsparts.com, $2 each, if you buy 12 it comes to around 37 bucks including shipping. I bought 12, traded 2 for some OEM tow hooks and brackets, sold another 2, used another 2, and I think I traded 4 for something else but I'm not sure. Everyone needs em, no one wants to order due to shipping :roflmao:

Screw that!

J3240023 on funjeepsparts.com, $2 each, if you buy 12 it comes to around 37 bucks including shipping. I bought 12, traded 2 for some OEM tow hooks and brackets, sold another 2, used another 2, and I think I traded 4 for something else but I'm not sure. Everyone needs em, no one wants to order due to shipping :roflmao:

Thanks for that link and part number! How in the hell can one place charge that much and another place next to nothing!

Oh, I screwed up--it wasn't rockauto.com, it was Morris 4x4 that wants $25.99 each.

i bend allthread and tack a nut on the end 5/16" works good. i imagine they want so much because you get the strap and all. i just paid 13 bucks a piece for the straps.

I would like to just bend some rod and make em myself but I dont really have acess to a torch..im just going to get them from the dealership and make sure I cover them in never-seize so i dont have the same problem next time I need to remove the gas tank

i might also see if i can pull some from a jeep at the junkyard but they are all probably just a seized

its a stupid design they are so long you cant get a socket on em

I would like to just bend some rod and make em myself but I dont really have acess to a torch..im just going to get them from the dealership and make sure I cover them in never-seize so i dont have the same problem next time I need to remove the gas tank

i might also see if i can pull some from a jeep at the junkyard but they are all probably just a seized

its a stupid design they are so long you cant get a socket on em
you can get a map gas or propane torch from walmart or home depot for 20 bucks

I bent one without heat once, worked fine for a few months, was actually still fine when I replaced it with a stock one.

If you want to get them at the JY, cut the straps, bring the bolts home with the straps still on, hit them with the wire wheel and then use a nutbreaker on them (or notch them on both sides with a dremel and then break them with a chisel/screwdriver) then get new nuts. 3/8-16 UNC stainless steel nylock nuts and 5/16" stainless washers work out pretty well. This is really silly though, you know you're going to need to drop that blasted tank again, just buy a handful of them on funjeepsparts and keep them in reserve till you need them, or do a group buy with other local jeepers... it isn't worth the time sweating and cursing under a rusty crapcan in a junkyard to save that little money in my book.

Been through this more times than I want to admit now... also, note that this info does NOT apply to MJs, the bolts are shorter, the unthreaded shank is much shorter, and the threads are a metric size (I want to say M10-1 but I'm not sure, might be -1.25 or -1.5) for some terrible reason.

Back