• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for an XJ

DigitalAirman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Since this is my first post and all, allow me to intoduce myself. My name is Parker. I am originaly from Arkansas, but I joined the Air Force a while back and got stationed at Pope AFB in NC.

I am somewhat of a newb when it comes to XJ's. My wife has a KJ, and I used to have a 4wd Ford Ranger, so I have basic 4wd and 4wd suspension knowledge. I am sure I will have more detailed questions in the future however. I am looking for an XJ for me. We bought the KJ last spring, and the Jeep bug has bitten me, I want one of my own. After doing some research, I have decided on an XJ. I have found a couple on autotrader, and went up to look at one of them yesterday. This one: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=207808100&dealer_id=1374198&car_year=2001&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=JEEP&transmission=&model=CHER&distance=75&make2=&address=27332&default_sort=mileageASC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=mileageASC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2001&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2000&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=36

It is in very good condition, with on 63000 miles. It didn't start too well, but it could have been sitting in this guys lot for a while.

Then last night I found this one online as well.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=211381368&dealer_id=100001858&car_year=2000&num_records=25&model=CHER&make2=&start_year=2000&engine=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&search_type=both&distance=75&make=JEEP&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=mileageASC&address=27332&advanced=&end_year=2000&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=53

The carfax report is what worries me, it says there wsa an accident reported back in 2003, but there is not a salvage title, so it should be good right?

I guess what I really started this post to ask, was, What should I look for in an XJ? Are there any hi-problem areas with the cherokees that you all have? Or basically, if it runs and 4wd works, then it's good? I just wanted to talk to some xj experts before takiing the plunge with one certain vehicle.

Thanks for reading my novel.

Parker

Hey Parker...welcome to :NAXJA:

Just a brief run down, you can find these in A LOT more detail if you search the sight by clicking on the search button towards the top of the page.

Each year has its own little quirks, but for the most part they're not too bad.

If you're looking at 2000+, Chrysler switched the heads on the 4.0 starting in 2000. The 0331 casting that they switched to is much more prone to cracking when overheated. This generally happens right around the #3 and 4 cylinder area on the drivers side. All you have to do is take the oil cap off and shine a flash light down there and if it's cracked, you'll see probably where its crusty. If this is the case, STAY AWAY.

Also, in 2000 Chrysler put a different type of front axle in it. Still a Dana 30 i believe, just a different variation. This is only a concern if you plan to lift it and run big tires on it.

If you plan on keeping your XJ a long while, you're going to be replacing the rear main, oil filter adaptor, and valve cover gaskets (search any of those 3 and you'll see what i'm talking about). They all leak eventually. As a matter of fact I just had my oil filter adaptor seal go out on me coming home from charlotte this weekend. Pretty easy to replace, just in a tight spot. The valve cover gasket i've already done, and that took no time at all. As for the rear main, that's a messy, but from what i've been reading, not to terribly hard of a job. There are wonderful write up's on how to to the rear main and oil filter adaptor.

Other than that the 4.0 is a hell of engine that when treated right will last you a while. I've put almost 30K on mine in about a year an a half and it hasn't given me one major issue.

As far as the transfer case goes, there are two kinds, both are part time with one having a full time option. The command-trac has your 2hi, 4hi, N, and 4lo. The selec-trac, which I have, has all of those options, with a 4full time inbetween 4hi and N. This is wonderful for driving in heavy rain and those times in the winter when you come across one road still snowy and another one mostly clear. Like I said I've got selec-trac in my XJ and love it, and command-trac in my mom's KJ which has also served her very well. The XJ and KJ share the same transfer cases.

I assume you'd be changing all of the fluids once you purchased your jeep? such as coolant, differentials, etc etc. This will really help to give you alot of trouble free miles.

I would also invest in a FSM (factory service manual) for the year Jeep you get. This makes it MUCH easier to do repairs on your Jeep, and beats the heck out of the Haynes or Chilton's manual. Well worth the $85-$100.

So to review, basically sit down and do a search of anything you want to know on here. Chances are it's been covered several times. You might want to plan on spending a good portion of your day, there's alot on here...lol.

BTW, what year is you're wifes KJ? My mom's is an 03 and hasn't given us ANY trouble in the 3 and a half years we've had it. And she's not easy on a vehicle either.

Just by reading the adds, the 2000 has low miles for the year. One other thing to check is look and see if they have ABS. The 2000 does for sure. Try and find one without the ABS. When a XJ gets the ABS it also gets the Dana 35 rear axle. If you plan on modifing this truck then get one with the 8 1/4 Chryco rear axle. It is a lot stronger than the D35. Good luck on your hunt. They are both nice Jeeps. I would look under that 2001 and see what axle it has.

I've learned not to trust the ad's from used car lots too much. Carmax had mine listed as having ABS when it in fact does not. Only way to tell is go see it in person and find out for yourself:D

How convenient. I was just searching for how to tell if an xj has ABS. I read up on how to tell between the different axles, now I am looking for pictures of them for comparison. So, since I tried searching for ABS and didn't come up with anything. Could someone tell me how to tell?

Thanks

Parker

Oh yeah, and to answer your question Tim, my wifes KJ is an 06. We haven't done a whole lot of hitting the trails yet. Just hit 12k. I think I about haver her talked into a mild lift for it and bigger tires. We will see.

Parker

shelbyluvv said:
Just by reading the adds, the 2000 has low miles for the year. One other thing to check is look and see if they have ABS. The 2000 does for sure. Try and find one without the ABS. When a XJ gets the ABS it also gets the Dana 35 rear axle.

While it's certainly true that ABSed XJs got the D35, I can't agree that the D35 is necessarily a dealbreaker. More:

If you plan on modifing this truck then get one with the 8 1/4 Chryco rear axle. It is a lot stronger than the D35.

While this is absolutely correct, a D35-equipped XJ can (IMHO) be mildly modified and still serve well. Granted, it doesn't like tyres over 31" or gears much deeper than 4.10:1 with them - but if you want ABS for everyday use (which I do, and I'll admit to being in the minority on that) or don't intend to go wild with gears or tyres, it'll work out fine for your purposes. This is based on my experience with both a stock 2001 Sport and the current 3.5"-lift-plus-31"-tyres 2000 Limited, both of which had or have ABS. Also, being runout models, even the middle trim levels had good specifications, and they're going to be the newest, lowest-mileage, least-abused examples you'll find.

The one other huge advantage of the 2000-2001 XJs is that they received distributorless ignition as well as better porting on the intake and exhaust. If you've ever had to blow water out of plugholes, dry plug wires, or get moisture out of a distributor cap, you'll understand why I like not having a cap and rotor. They're not as free-revving as the RENIX / H.O. models in my opinion, but the torque curve kicks in approximately 1000 RPM lower, there's a slight HP and torque boost, and you don't have to worry as much in water crossings. The coil rails seem to hold up well: five years after the last distributorless XJ rolled off the line, we don't seem to be seeing many reports of failure.

Plus, if you get a 2001, you could get one with the 60th Anniversary Package, which scores cool points. It would make up for me totalling one to see another one being used for its intended purpose ;)

if it has abs the rear diff cover will have a screw in type filler plug with a square recessed head. that will be a D35, the weak axle. if it doesnt have abs then it will have the chrys, 8.25 axle, which is much stronger. you can identify this axle by lookin at the diff cover again and if it has a plastic plug instead of a screw in type filler hole, then you know its a 8.25 w/o abs.

or you could do it the easy way and take a test drive and lock up the tires. if they lock up, no abs and it has the 8.25 axle. if it doesnt and the pedal pulses, then you have a weak D35 and abs breaks.

there should be a sticky somewhere on identifying axles and such, i think in the modified tech forum? idk try a search that could help alot too in that area.

good luck!

Yeah I found the thread about axles, I was just curious about the ABS. Well, thank you for the responses. I found a couple more cherokees to go look at this week. Hopefully by weeks end I will be the happy owner of my very own Jeep.

Parker

DigitalAirman said:
Oh yeah, and to answer your question Tim, my wifes KJ is an 06. We haven't done a whole lot of hitting the trails yet. Just hit 12k. I think I about haver her talked into a mild lift for it and bigger tires. We will see.

Parker

Go check out www.lostkjs.com They're real big into moddin KJ's. I'm not a member over there but i've been lurking for a while and learned alot of cool info.

rehab said:
take a test drive and lock up the tires. if they lock up, no abs and it has the 8.25 axle. if it doesnt and the pedal pulses, then you have a weak D35 and abs breaks.

Not necessarily - there were also non-ABSed XJs equipped with the D35. The only way to really tell for certain is to get underneath it and look.

Also, check out Yuccaman's Axle Guide. Not only does it show each axle, but also gives the gearing info, carrier breaks, etc.

jeepdiferentialssl3.jpg

pay close attention to the shape of the bottom of the 35 and the 8.25. the 8.25 will have a flat lip at the bottom and the 35 will not. the 35 will be completly oval at the bottom.

hth
stewie

Wow, thanks for the picture stewie. Both XJ's I went to look at have the chrysler 8.25 and not abs. But I have run into a wall. The credit union I usually do business with wont finance any negative equity, and I will be about a grand upside down on the car I have right now. So basically, I may be stuck with this car for a while longer, but I want to get rid of it before I end up being even further upside down. Oh well. Maybe I can work something out with one of the dealers as far as what they give me for the car. Sorry to bore everyone with this drama. Cross your fingers,

Parker

well Parker, you could do what i did to get my XJ. i bought mine with money i saved up while in the Middle East. the HFP/IDP, HDP, per dium, and combat zone tax exclusion make it a lot easier to make a big purchase when you get home assuming one doesnt go hog wild with amazon.com while over there. i spent 6.5 months in UAE searching vehicles for IED's. when i got back i had enough to buy outright a 95 XJ sport ($2,000), Rustys 4.5" lift (800 or so) and a set of used 32" MT/R tires.

i dont know what career field your in, nor am i in touch with the AEF cycles anymore, but see if that may end up being the way you go. hopefully not, but make the best of the situation. not to mention since your married you get an extra $250/month for family seperation while over there.

it looks like you were looking for the newer model xj's. if you realy want a jeep, try looking for something older. like i said earlier, i have a 95. true, its got 186,000 miles on it, but it still runs like a champ. most do. heck, its just barely broken in. if your worried about repairs, there is the auto hobby shop on most AF bases where you can get in out of the cold. another plus for an older jeep is it doesnt hurt so bad when i get trail damage. if i had a nice pretty and shinny newer one, i may shed a tear if she got rock rash.

even if it takes you some time to get yourself an xj, stick arround on the site. even if its just as a lurker. there is a wealth of knowledge here that could help you with your search for the purfect jeep for you. everything from options, to regular maintence, to problematic areas. stuff that you just stumble on over time with this site. and more inmportantly to me, how to fix these issues. that way you can find whats wrong with a potential purchase and know how much of a hastle or how easy the fix is. heck, it could even give you some leverage to get the price lower.

stick arround and hang in there. the purfect xj is waiting for you. its soul is waiting to desend from Jeep Heaven and bless your life. lol. if you ever make it up to the Hill AFB Utah area, look us in the Intermountain Chapter up.

Back