• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 crawl box

monkeyevil

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.
I ASSumed that the 2wd aw4's are 21 spline and the 4wd ones are all 23 spline. I have been wrong before though :)

I would run a 231, just because I like the selectability more. Plus who knows if the 242 can handle twice the torque.

hey,

i had 2 pre-91 transfercases both from behind AW4s and they were both 21 spline SHORT inputs on the transfercase. it upgraded to 23 spline with the addition of the H.O. engine. (you can see the difference at www.novak-adapt.com)

also, the 242 can handle just as much torque as the 231. the model number of the transfer cases breaks down by number.

-the first number means how many speeds: 2 =HI and LO
-the second is a rating from a torque chart: 3,4 (4 is more)
-the third is a number assigned to the way the outputs are coupled:1= no differentiation, 2= true diff, 8/9= viscous coupling and so on.
(info can be found from the new process/ new venture website)

considering the np231 and the np242 that were behind renix motors and AW4 have the same splinage and same bolt pattern i dont see why you cant use the box 4 rox and the np242 together, that being said it is simple as pie to swap to a np231 from a np242. i did it in 6 hours and that included rebuilding the np231 and SYEing it first.
its much easier to rebuild a 231 than a 242, but neither one are hard if you pay attention IMO

hth
-Tim

I'm callin bullshit on this one

by that reasoning the np205 is waaaaaaay weaker than the 231 and 242, and that is just plain untrue. What's the 5? a selectable locker?

goodburbon said:

by that reasoning the np205 is waaaaaaay weaker than the 231 and 242, and that is just plain untrue. What's the 5? a selectable locker?

Hmm...where does this place the NP207, 208, 203, etc?

FWIW I have that NP231 crawl box setup. The kit comes like this:

box1.JPG

If you want to look at the assembly and stuff, here's 18 pics of it going together:
http://www.phatserver.net/~chris/list.php?path=XJbuild/crawlbox/

I can't speak for the performance of it yet though. Rig's still on jackstands. The kit itself was extremely high quality, all parts fit together just as intended, and with everything connected everything spins just like it should and all speeds work. Should be a fun experiment at 183:1 crawl ratio. :)

KSXJ said:
so if I get this correct, this is to set up a doubler? If so you have a 231 and what togther?

Mine's going to a D300 (non-flipped), but you can get an adapter plate & intermediate shaft for a huge variety of cases.

You cut the front output off the NP231 box and bolt the new plate over the back of it. The mode fork comes out and the range fork stays there.

box13.JPG

case1.JPG

box14.JPG

rough1.JPG

vetteboy said:
FWIW I have that NP231 crawl box setup. Should be a fun experiment at 183:1 crawl ratio. :)
I run an atlas 4 speed with 5:38's. Total crawl at 155:1. It is absolutely night and day the stuff you will crawl over.

when I searched I found another thread with this setup and looks like you have to cut up the floor to fit. Is that correct?? or can it be done without cutting up the floor?

vetteboy said:
Mine's going to a D300 (non-flipped), but you can get an adapter plate & intermediate shaft for a huge variety of cases.

You cut the front output off the NP231 box and bolt the new plate over the back of it. The mode fork comes out and the range fork stays there.

box13.JPG

case1.JPG

box14.JPG

rough1.JPG

how hard is it to do a drivers side drop ? i guess you'll have to flip the dana300 ? i'm wanting to do this setup , but have not seem anyone around my area that has tried this .

NOS/86 said:
how hard is it to do a drivers side drop ? i guess you'll have to flip the dana300 ? i'm wanting to do this setup , but have not seem anyone around my area that has tried this .

You would need a d300 flip kit (Down east offroad) or just run a 231 behind the doubler.

tysonxj said:

HOLY "F"ING BLING!!!!!

ok, so i am trying to fiure out why people are running the 300's... is it just because of the fact that there is no chain, or is it because a 231/231 or a 231/242 is way longer than the 231/300 combo?

at first i thought that this was the most amazing deal ever, then i saw that i need to buy a 231... or in my case two 231s or a 231 and a 242.... a custom case is looking like a good deal... maybe...

goodburbon said:

this information is from the new process website. im not saying its gospel, but it IS the way they identify their cases. hence a 241 is an upgrade from the 231.

but i do think i was mistaken in the fact that it seems that is only true within a category, they are divided up by how they differentiate, and within that category it divided by torque using the middle number. i thought it was across the board but i was comparing apples to oranges. my bad.

and btw, the last number is how its shifted also, not just the differentiation.

http://www.newventuregear.com/tcases.html

-Tim

Last edited:
Back