• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A salute to 10 years with the XJ...

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
December 21st, 1999 after a year and a half of looking for a Jeep to go wheelin with, I finally settled on a 1995 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4 plain jane with a/c, a 4.0, and an automatic.

I took a pic of it the day that I bought it, but I haven't been able to locate them. I do have some pics of it stock tho. 10 days after I purchased it, I took it wheelin on Y2k...at the badlands. I'll add comments of the pics that I remember.

some peps are on another forum that i also posted this on, so it might be a repeat, but i know there are several here that haven't seen it.

mac 'a decade with the same wheels' gyvr

when she was just a little stocker
jeep1.jpg

maiden voyage to the badlands
jeep-1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

two weeks after the first trip and still with a temp tag in the window...added 3in rough country $100 lift from JC Whitney...and brand new 31in general grabber mud tires
jeep11.jpg

jeep4.jpg

tow hooks soon followed
jeep6.jpg

jeep16.jpg

jeep12.jpg

jeep13.jpg

jeep15.jpg

a couple of months after buying the old XJ I was at the badlands the first winterfest weekend in 2000...i got water in it...managed to change the oil and get it back to my apartment in muncie. a couple of days after that, i attempted to drive it to my parents house...i blew the motor up at 70mph on the interstate.

day2rebuild11.jpg

partsfromengine2.jpg

in what would be the first of many times that the bronco towed the jeep, it towed me home...on a uhaul trailer
towed.jpg

back wheelin two weeks after the motor blew up...a snorkle was added at some point as well as 33s...and a tire carrier the following pics may not be in the exact correct order
41-300x300.jpg

0083.jpg

4.jpg

snowmodsize.jpg

rockface.jpg

pic107.jpg

tirecarrier3.jpg

mac 'we were wheelin once a month at the badlands in those days' gyvr

in April 2001, a group of us decided to take a trip to Livingston, KY...the old XJ ended up on her lid...the insurance company totalled it, nearly paid it off, my dad and i put it back together and got a windshield back in it.

there was some wheelin in livingston
0015.jpg

oh yeah, the tire carrier...had a hub mounted on it...that became a game...this was the night before the rollover
0053.jpg

0052.jpg

the next morning...
roll.jpg

0001.jpg

0002-1.jpg

a skinny rosco
0041.jpg

rosco drove the jeep an hour north to lexington where ryder came through this time with a truck and trailer to tow her home.
0048.jpg

0051.jpg

limp snorkel
005.jpg

if you have never seen it the rollover video is here:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QE0JL4K6AEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QE0JL4K6AEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mac 'covered a little over a year' gyvr

so you just rolled your only vehicle...what do you do? well, you fix it, cause its your only vehicle...

my dad and i put in about 100 man hours and about 300 bucks...put the windshield in it that's still in it today...and put her back on the road.
009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

035.jpg

050.jpg

052.jpg

060.jpg

mac 'popcan...wrinkled, but not destroyed' gyvr

got her back on the road to go to tellico with NAXJA in July of 2001...not the best way to tow, but it worked
004.jpg

early 2002, i decided that i was going to go with a four link in the rear...not worried about a 4 link calculator or anti squat, we built it...and did a radius arm set up in the front. that was the beginning of the plating the uniframe.
DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

mac 'coiled up' gyvr

even back then there were thoughts of different setups and body mods...
057.jpg

PSmodcut1.jpg

welded up the rear d44 too
DSCF0038.jpg

snorkel came off with the rollover...and she flexed like mad with rear coils
DSCF0086.jpg

ran into a police XJ that Fort Wayne used to have...
DSCF0030.jpg

this was summer bash in 2000...yes its a little out of order, but always looking for a better way to tow...this wasn't one of them
jeep32.jpg

bronco did more towing duties...even towed to branson, MO in 2002 for camp jeep
WWWtow2.jpg

finally stepped it up a bit and bought something to tow with and retired the bronco from towing duties
DSCF0025-1.jpg

somewhere along the line i bought some 38 inch tsls...still running the d30 and d44
0008.jpg

0012.jpg

built the a-b pillar of the cage prior to going to moab in 2003
0002.jpg

0003.jpg

mac 'we're getting there' gyvr

went to moab in august of 2003...those trucks in the background...they were prototype dodge power wagons...dodge engineers...and they beat the snot out of those trucks
DSCF0028.jpg

after moab, it was time to swap to d60 front, eaton rear, and cut the back off
got some axles from a mud truck in MI
mudtruck.jpg

tow rig got upgraded again
mudtruck2.jpg

cut the back off at hotdog friday in jan or feb 2003...
doorsoff4.jpg

1084251468_burnout2sm.jpg

1084251568_I_llcuthere.jpg

1084251673_Maccuts.jpg

1084251625_liftoff.jpg

1084251783_successdrink_.jpg

chop3.jpg

mac 'reassembly' gyvr

rearbob3.jpg

rearbob4.jpg

rearbob18.jpg

rearbob35.jpg

cage1.jpg

rear done and axles installed
DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

then did the front

the front "frame" build can be seen here...as well as the coilovers...
NAXJA front "frame" build

upgraded the tow rig again in 2007...went to moab in 2008...lots of that stuff can be found on in moab 2008 threads
DSCF0211.jpg

in TREC racing form...
1017091353.jpg

35s in the pic for racing but have 39s krawlers for rock crawling

i've missed a lot, but that's just a short look back over 10 years of ownership...what will the next 10 hold, well, I dont know but I'm thinking that I have about outlived the chassis and that parts may get transformed over to a full buggy chassis...only time will tell...

the best part is that its not the only xj i have...

mac 'i'm planning on being around for a while' gyvr

:clap: AWESOME! I enjoyed reading/looking through very much :thumbup: :thumbup:

here's to another 10 years :cheers:

Nicely done Mac "no mohawks in these pics" Gyvr :thumbup:

Cool story Mac! Its funny how these things become part of the family after a short time.

Pretty cool how you pulled the A pillers back out and just kept rollin, these are some tough little trucks.

Nice, its definately been a long road. I think alot of people would have given up a couple times on that body.

Nice picture story, Mac 'drinks enough beer while working on the XJ, he forgets what year it is' gyvr. :D

Judging from the green grass in the chop top pic, and this pic from Winterfest '04, I'd guess the chop happened a little later in '04...

And no pics of the "free candy" van? :D

Nice picture story, Mac 'drinks enough beer while working on the XJ, he forgets what year it is' gyvr. :D

Judging from the green grass in the chop top pic, and this pic from Winterfest '04, I'd guess the chop happened a little later in '04...

And no pics of the "free candy" van? :D

ah yes, the chop top took place after winterfest 04...i'll look for the free candy van pics...there are so many in so many different places on the internet that its hard to keep track...

here's one from 2006 after the back was done and before the front was started...with the free candy vangina doing tow duties...affordably while i was enjoying no car payment...

mac 'forgets years easily' gyvr

is_00217.jpg

Nice rig man. Maybe someday I will achieve your level of awesomeness.

Nice rig, nice thread. I enjoyed watching the evolution.

Nice mac! Great going down memory lane.

went to moab in august of 2003...those trucks in the background...they were prototype dodge power wagons...dodge engineers...and they beat the snot out of those trucks
DSCF0028.jpg

I think there is still transmission fluid on Escalator from those Power Wagons. :eeks1:

Back