• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Ultimate HP 60 Build

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
Its finally time I contribute something useful to the Adv Fab section here:D I spent years learning and figuring out what was the best and all the little tricks and small things that go the distance, and now I have the chance for my first hardcore serious build. I'm going all out and building it pretty much as strong as possible. Input is very welcome!!

CURRENT PLANS:
-Narrow PS 4.625"
-Truss the heck outta it
-Shave job
-Ruffstuff cover
-Clayton style LCA mounts and coil buckets
-3 link upper built into PS of the truss
-Chop and plate stock knuckles, add 5th bolt and such
-Ballistic high steer arms, crossover style with TRE's

It all started when I was walking around an auto swap meet and found a set of late 80's F350 axles for $300. Bought them, resold the 10.25, and ended up with a complete HP60 for 200 big ones.

mblp3n.jpg

Finally decided I needed a place of my own to work outta, so I went and bought a 20' shipping container. Its worked out to be a sweet little workshop.

opzlsp.jpg

nqtnhy.jpg

Teardown began and work started on the housing. Kinda wierd working on this stuff, I'm so used to D30 stuff

hu3ipg.jpg

2vinx9x.jpg

206bll3.jpg

First order of business was the casting for the leaf spring perch on the DS. I trimmed about half of it off to give me enough tube to work with for a link mount. Also, cut off the PS brackets.

2lbck79.jpg

4kzgav.jpg

2j2u4gn.jpg

24mi6iw.jpg

ked7d4.jpg

Time to get down to business with narrowing the PS tube. Did some measurements and figured out what I wanted to do. Started with my Rigid chop saw. 1/2" tubes put a beating on it so I borrowed a friends Milwaukee that made cake outta the job.

ekltoh.jpg

apjl29.jpg

2ll1tf7.jpg

ei8lg2.jpg

mw9pu9.jpg

Cut out the tube from inside the inner c and started to clean it up to be welded back on.

2d14jgx.jpg

s0woc9.jpg

Got out the sledge hammer and did my Hulk thing, turned green, and wailed on the C until i was happy with where it was. I got real close on my first shot and was only off by 1* on the caster angle. I tapped in back to match the other side/factory specs.

35lsrcx.jpg

dw5qfp.jpg

This is where I was at this point. I wanted to rearrange the shop and decided to hang the 60 from my engine hoist so i could burn on the inner c with some big manly welds.

2hroaa1.jpg

2q2efs8.jpg

Threw a bunch of metal at it and did the tubes to the center section at the same time. For extra measure i did the very end of the tube to the other side of the inner c.

28t81zs.jpg

hwft51.jpg

r1jvjq.jpg

2wohqgp.jpg

So at this point the housing was all back together and narrowed :D Time to get some wood and start building the template for the truss. Its being notched and shaped to follow the contour of the housing for a nice snug fit so it can be completely welded to the axle.

rbfvpk.jpg

30nivz9.jpg

Got bored one night and decided to try out the new TIG welder I had at my dissposal now and make some inner c gussets. Yeah yeah I know, probably doesnt need it, but it looks cool.

10eobvk.jpg

rcvokm.jpg

fub9tt.jpg

Scored 8 feet of 3" x 6" 5/16th wall rect tubing for $40. This will become the truss material for both axles now. Since I dont have a plasma yet, it was all cut out with a half dozen cutoff wheels.

ixdnj7.jpg

i29aaf.jpg

21ni59h.jpg

2dajd6d.jpg

2qtweg9.jpg

After grinding and making some finishing touches, this is where I stand as of right now. Its currently jsut tacked on it 4 spots so I could figure out if I'm happy with it. I think i may trim a little more off of the back side to try and lean the truss back so its more perpendicular to the ground when the pinion is rotated up a few degrees.

2ynqsky.jpg

2ylab0y.jpg

fm2hwg.jpg

3304vih.jpg

2mpimg3.jpg

Yum.

Just wondering how you plan to use the Clayton style LCA mounts and coil buckets with that truss

still, he is either gonna have to cut the truss down to tube level or use some short coils, otherwise he will have 4-5" in lift just with the coil bucket plates

um sweet! did you just want to keep stock width? what was your reasoning behind that?

I didnt want full width, but I wanted a little bit more then stock. This seems to be about as narrow as possible with a 60 running coils. Itll also match up nicely with a C&C 14 bolt out back.

Just wondering how you plan to use the Clayton style LCA mounts and coil buckets with that truss

Like Colin (Moparmanic) said, I wanna make the LCA mounts like his, nothing below the bottom of the axle tube. As for the coil buckets, if I dont make my own, Ill buy Claytons ones. Ill be notching the truss out where the buckets will mount. I think Im gunna build about 2" of lift into the mounts alone.

how much was the shipping container? :eyes:

$1300 delievered. I got one with the smooth side outside so it would be easier to mount windows and stuff. Heres a link to it: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006748

When are you gonna pick up a phase converter and get that Bridgeport running for the shave job? If it's the normal 1HP 220/230V 3ph motor, I think this should set you up pretty well: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-3-Hp-Static-P...lectrical_Equipment_Tools?hash=item2c51ce877f

I have to get off my ass and borrow my buddy's forklift so I can move it in still. Thats probably what Ill get for a convertor, or something jsut like it. I should be fine with a static setup.

As of right now, itll only have hydro assit. I didnt wanna go all out with full hydro to begin with cause it still be in a full bodied(ish) XJ that will see a fair amount of street time. Down the line, if the jeep goes more towards the buggy side, it may get full hydro.

Bill's is better. It's gonna have RCV CV's.

Bill's is better. It's gonna have RCV CV's.
Bragging for me since I don't? :D
no its not, he gots Blah H1's i got pimpin Stazworks with 2"BS
Eh, they'll do for now. :)
... full hydro and air shocks (makes that truss action easier to do ya' know!)
I told him that too!

Ross, what are your plans for gears/locker/shafts/3 link joints?
You aren't still planning on 35s are you? Not that there is a problem with 35s on some other front axle, just with that super heavy D60 you're building up front it will be.

Back