NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:32
Joe's Avatar
Joe Joe is offline
NAXJA Member #887
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 802
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
question is, can i fix the speedo problem? because its now sounding like a rather large problem...
Not to big of a problem. Depending on the size of tire and gears your might be off by a couple of mile in speed. I am off 10 mile will traveling 65 not to bad. There are a couple off options to fix this problem but prices ranging from $70 - $250 I just don't worry about it too much right now since I only use the Jeep for off-roading.

Some option that I have found are:
The Yellow Box - http://yellr.com/index.htm
Heal Tech Electornics - http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Dakota Digital - http://www.dakotadigital.com/
Superlift Truspeed - http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:48
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Not to big of a problem. Depending on the size of tire and gears your might be off by a couple of mile in speed. I am off 10 mile will traveling 65 not to bad. There are a couple off options to fix this problem but prices ranging from $70 - $250 I just don't worry about it too much right now since I only use the Jeep for off-roading.

Some option that I have found are:
The Yellow Box - http://yellr.com/index.htm
Heal Tech Electornics - http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
Dakota Digital - http://www.dakotadigital.com/
Superlift Truspeed - http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp

these all recalibrate the speedometer correct?

i am under the impression this jk case will not have a way to get the reading to my speedometer because jks are all digital right?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:12
Joe's Avatar
Joe Joe is offline
NAXJA Member #887
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 802
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
these all recalibrate the speedometer correct?

i am under the impression this jk case will not have a way to get the reading to my speedometer because jks are all digital right?
Not sure about the JK but the TJ rubicon tcase is digital output. I installed a 241OR on my 94 XJ and any of these will correct the speed problem.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:32
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Just got off the phone with JB conversions. they have these cases and all sorts of flanges/adapters/sensors for them.

he said he would have to tear into the case some in order to get the case converted to vss... estimated at 250$ worth of work. he didnt give me too much detail on what all needed done specifically...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:38
Joe's Avatar
Joe Joe is offline
NAXJA Member #887
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 802
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
Just got off the phone with JB conversions. they have these cases and all sorts of flanges/adapters/sensors for them.

he said he would have to tear into the case some in order to get the case converted to vss... estimated at 250$ worth of work. he didnt give me too much detail on what all needed done specifically...
Take a picture of the back of the tcase and post it. Not sure what it looks like. The 241or I have has a tone ring inside the rear tail output. When I bought my tcase I took it apart to inspect the internals so I know what it looks like.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:51
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Take a picture of the back of the tcase and post it. Not sure what it looks like. The 241or I have has a tone ring inside the rear tail output. When I bought my tcase I took it apart to inspect the internals so I know what it looks like.
You got it.



this has the stock output on it still. would have to be replaced with the 1310s (i think)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:00
Joe's Avatar
Joe Joe is offline
NAXJA Member #887
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fillmore, California
Posts: 802
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
You got it.



this has the stock output on it still. would have to be replaced with the 1310s (i think)

Look at the difference with the rear output:



Most likely JB Conversion will sell you a new tail cone, tone ring, sensor and possibly yoke.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:03
Seiler's Avatar
Seiler Seiler is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 800
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleajaybrock View Post
Does the Standard Speedo gear not work to correct the speedometer?
Not in this application, no. These have a tone ring that spins as the main shaft spins. This creates a signal that is interpreted electronically, and then sent to the vehicles computer. The "standard/typical" Speedo gear is mechanical, and will not work with these cases. The tone ring is located in this image, in the middle under the nut:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Look at the difference with the rear output:



Most likely JB Conversion will sell you a new tail cone, tone ring, sensor and possibly yoke.
Possibly a new shaft as well? I don't know, it's hard to tell. It looks like they could be comparable in length with all that extra material on his yoke.

Scott
__________________
Previous Member Name - xj²

Last edited by Seiler; April 6th, 2010 at 11:24.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:05
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Look at the difference with the rear output:



Most likely JB Conversion will sell you a new tail cone, tone ring, sensor and possibly yoke.
holy hell. i see what he was referring too now...

dangit. i was really looking forward to having this case in my jeep. i cant afford to put that much more into it
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:37
Dundy's Avatar
Dundy Dundy is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 5,741
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

I know you can go to jeep to get your pcm reflashed if you have a tj with a 241OR in order to fix the speedo. I wonder if you can do the same with the newer XJ's?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old April 6th, 2010, 11:46
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundy View Post
I know you can go to jeep to get your pcm reflashed if you have a tj with a 241OR in order to fix the speedo. I wonder if you can do the same with the newer XJ's?
see the problem isnt the speedo being off. the problem is there is no connection for me to even get a speedo reading at all... without redoing the tailshaft
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:01
praetorian praetorian is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 537
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

So do JK's use the wheel speed sensors to calculate speed like the WJ does?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:40
stumpXJ stumpXJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,820
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
You got it.



this has the stock output on it still. would have to be replaced with the 1310s (i think)

I have been down this exact road with the XJ. I had a normal 241 out of a JK, non rubicon/standard 2.72 reduction (still have it in the shop). Its exactly like your picture. There is no way to get a speedo signal from this case. I called PLENTY of folks that would know how (including JB), and they all told me I was wasting my time unless I wanted to do a lot of guess work.

It WILL bolt into the XJ once you swap to 1310's, and work just fine. In fact, its like a BEEFY NP231. The case is twice as thick as the 231, and everything inside of it is stronger... you just cant hook up a speedo to it. The JK's have speedo pickup in the front wheel/axle area, so there is no need for the VSS in the Tcase.

Since not having a speedo hooked up, it was throwing a VSS code, and that wouldn't allow me to pass inspection. I had to pull the JK Tcase out, and put in a 241OR (with the 4:1 reduction, out of a TJ rubicon), and my stock speedo hooked right up, code went away, and the inspection people were happy.

~ James
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old April 8th, 2010, 16:49
pyrotyro's Avatar
pyrotyro pyrotyro is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CO
Posts: 192
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpXJ View Post
I have been down this exact road with the XJ. I had a normal 241 out of a JK, non rubicon/standard 2.72 reduction (still have it in the shop). Its exactly like your picture. There is no way to get a speedo signal from this case. I called PLENTY of folks that would know how (including JB), and they all told me I was wasting my time unless I wanted to do a lot of guess work.

It WILL bolt into the XJ once you swap to 1310's, and work just fine. In fact, its like a BEEFY NP231. The case is twice as thick as the 231, and everything inside of it is stronger... you just cant hook up a speedo to it. The JK's have speedo pickup in the front wheel/axle area, so there is no need for the VSS in the Tcase.

Since not having a speedo hooked up, it was throwing a VSS code, and that wouldn't allow me to pass inspection. I had to pull the JK Tcase out, and put in a 241OR (with the 4:1 reduction, out of a TJ rubicon), and my stock speedo hooked right up, code went away, and the inspection people were happy.

~ James
Yeah im bummed because the thing is so much burlier then the 231 (and i hate to lose the 4:1 i have now)... but without extensive work ($$$) i cant make it work
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old April 8th, 2010, 17:08
Seiler's Avatar
Seiler Seiler is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 800
Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
Yeah im bummed because the thing is so much burlier then the 231 (and i hate to lose the 4:1 i have now)... but without extensive work ($$$) i cant make it work
Hey Pyro, can you do me a favor and take a picture of the tag on your case? It should look something like this:



Try to get close enough so the lettering is legible.

Thanks,

Scott
__________________
Previous Member Name - xj²
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak shifter and the 2-low kit xjtrailrider Modified Tech Discussion 4 March 31st, 2009 20:12
Novak T.C. shifter SUA SPONTE Modified Tech Discussion 14 January 23rd, 2008 20:15
Novak SHifter Q's Kejtar Modified Tech Discussion 20 May 8th, 2006 22:40
Novak shifter for the 231? Kejtar Modified Tech Discussion 9 March 5th, 2005 05:44


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014