• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C bypass pulley

DIKASUN

NAXJA Forum User
I need a bypass pulley for my 1999 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0. The only ones I can find say they are for a 91-93 Cherokee or a 93-98 Grand Cherokee (4.0). Will either of these work for my 99?

I would think the one for 91-93 XJ would work since the A/C compressor never moved

I wouldn't trust the ZJ one since it had the A/C compressor in a different spot.

OTOH you could just find a pulley that was more or less correct size and build your own bracket

i believe the one for a 91-93 works but you gotta redrill the mount for it. had the same problem with mine, ended up just buying a new compressor cause no one had the part

Checked Summit and Jegs but could not find a pulley eliminator kiit for my son in law's 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Will probably have to buy used for about $45 plus shipping. Also a note on removing the pulley with bad bearings. Followed instructions on line and when I tried to remove the second C clip, freon shot out of the fron of the compressor. Way to close to my face.

I purchased the ZJ pulley, but it does have a different mounting footprint. A piece of thick sheetmetal, drilled to mount the eliminator should do the trick. But, I went to the JY and got a low-mileage compressor for half what I paid for the eliminator. Quiet bearings now...
I also discovered that, although the '95 compressor bolted into my '96, the hoses don't match, so I can't hook it up:<.

The Renix 4.0 setup had a HD bracket and pulley on non-a/c equipped XJs, probably why there isn't an aftermarket setup for them either.

I just returned one to NAPA, the guy told me it woudl fit my 95 XJ. It distance between the rear motungin bolt and front was bigger than my A/C comp. I thought about grinding the gusset down and drilling a new hole, but the pulley wasnt lining up wiht my beltdrive either; it was at least 3/4" rearwar, if I lined up the forwad 2 holes. I also noticed the bearing was pretty cheesy, so I returned it and gave up on this little weight saving idea. The NAPA guy looked it up again and said Grand Cherokee, nothing listed for just Cherokee.

Back