NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 11th, 2017, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

BJ'S won't install 235x75x15" tires on my 1996 Cherokee

Says they have a policy that only oem sized tires or oem plus less than 3% over will be installed. Says I need 225's. I tell him that 235x75's have been on the vehicle since 2000 when the stock Goodyear 225's wore out. Told him the 235 Michelin's have been on for 7 years. Still NG. I even spoke to the store manager and she spoke to their District Tire Manager and the end result is they wouldn't sell and install that sized tire.
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:03
Three-De Off-Road

Re: BJ'S won't install 235x75x15" tires on my 1996 Cherokee

Buy the tires and take them somewhere else for mounting and balancing if the tire price is that good.

BJs is a membership club store right? We don't have them in Tennessee but I've seem them in California.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176--National Vice President, SEC President
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2013 WKII (SUZIE)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:10
NAXJA Forum User

honestly I would not even buy the tires from them just go elsewhere and ask for price matching since they clearly don't want your business
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:18
NAXJA Forum User

We usually go to Costco (who doesn't match deals, promotions or prices) for tires and my wife got a free trial membership to BJ's last month. This month save $70 on Michelin tire set of 4 and $30 off the $60 install. I wanted Michelin's and Costco has a Bridgestone (which I really didn't want) $70 off promotion.
Old August 11th, 2017, 12:28
NAXJA Forum User

Good thing you weren't buying a set of 31s.
We've run 235s on one of our XJ for decades, previous owner even got the spare a 235,never had any trouble with Sam's club, Walmart, sears, firestone selling or repairing 235 tires. now I have a spare set of wheels with tires I got a few years ago to rotate through the jeeps so I'm not always dropping of the jeep to get the tires put on some times it's just the wheels, or just the tire punctured on the trail.

I'm not sure the details but places like firestone will mount and balance tires brought in even Walmart will but their prices can very if you didn't buy from a approved Seller. I'm not sure all the ins and outs maybe check tire rack and other online sellers to see who in you area will install their tires, the internet tire age has opened up a lot of business to accepting the instillation part of the job where they used to refuse it unless they sold the tire.

Far as getting BJ's to install it I doubt you'll have much luck, maybe try another location, I never had luck convincing a tire store locked on what a book or guide says over the reality of what the cars has on it now. Had a pepboys refuse to sell a tire for a car I had because according to the book I needed a regular street tire, but the turbo version of the car did have the tire I needed but they couldn't sell it to me even though the rest of the tires were the same rating as what I wanted to buy. Probably why I deal with tires like I do now, get them online shipped to the store or the house avoiding the idiots at the tire store if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mesa XJ View Post
Good thing you weren't buying a set of 31s.
We've run 235s on one of our XJ for decades, previous owner even got the spare a 235,never had any trouble with Sam's club, Walmart, sears, firestone selling or repairing 235 tires. now I have a spare set of wheels with tires I got a few years ago to rotate through the jeeps so I'm not always dropping of the jeep to get the tires put on some times it's just the wheels, or just the tire punctured on the trail.

I'm not sure the details but places like firestone will mount and balance tires brought in even Walmart will but their prices can very if you didn't buy from a approved Seller. I'm not sure all the ins and outs maybe check tire rack and other online sellers to see who in you area will install their tires, the internet tire age has opened up a lot of business to accepting the instillation part of the job where they used to refuse it unless they sold the tire.

Far as getting BJ's to install it I doubt you'll have much luck, maybe try another location, I never had luck convincing a tire store locked on what a book or guide says over the reality of what the cars has on it now. Had a pepboys refuse to sell a tire for a car I had because according to the book I needed a regular street tire, but the turbo version of the car did have the tire I needed but they couldn't sell it to me even though the rest of the tires were the same rating as what I wanted to buy. Probably why I deal with tires like I do now, get them online shipped to the store or the house avoiding the idiots at the tire store if I can.

weird, Pep Boys even put 35's on my xj for me.
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:24
NAXJA Forum User

This was a long time ago now, it could have been that one store or policy could have changed.
Anyway it made no sense to refuse to sell a performance tire overrated for a car (supposedly I actually had that car with more HP than a turbo) , I get why a guy with a corvette can't come in and buy a set of tires rated for a Geo Metro but the other way round makes no sense to me.

Like i said it long ago before internet tire deals and rims became common place.

Old August 11th, 2017, 13:26
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mesa XJ View Post
... I'm not always dropping of the jeep to get the tires put on some times it's just the wheels, or just the tire punctured on the trail.

I have had enough problems with tire shops that I no longer let them touch my vehicle. I just drop off my wheels and pick them up later. Much improved quality of life for me this way.
Old August 11th, 2017, 13:30
NAXJA Member

They're all like that. Wal-Mart is the same way. Nothing you can do other than tell them they're idiots and they just lost a sale.
Old August 11th, 2017, 16:07
Mostly Harmless

I suspect it has a lot to do with who you can hire to change tires. That is not anyone's dream job. You aren't getting the best and brightest.

I just offer them as little as possible to screw up.

I will try to screw up the rest myself.
Old August 11th, 2017, 19:00
NAXJA Forum User

Costco told me the same thing. Manager told me they could put the 32s on the new rims I bought but due to the insurance, they couldn't put them on the vehicle. I showed up with 5" of lift and 215s on the MJ (yup, it looked pretty funny). The tech mounted the tires on the new rims and put them on the vehicle anyway. He said he would be too embarrassed to send me back out on the street with the "dinky" tires on there.
Old August 11th, 2017, 21:58
NAXJA Forum User

Just bought some tires from Walmart, some cheap 31s on sale with a pickup discount for $67 +tax ( good reviews for snow and mud) only brought the rims I would be rotating on to my 85 XJ with a 3 inch lift. No issues they mounted and balanced the tires, picked them up when ready, started doing this about 7-8 years ago when I got a spare set of rims, the 90s XJ haven't seen a tire shop since.
I'll tell them what it is for if they ask usually they hear jeep and just go ahead probably figuring some lifted wrangler.

Old August 12th, 2017, 08:18
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Costco told me the same thing. Manager told me they could put the 32s on the new rims I bought but due to the insurance, they couldn't put them on the vehicle. I showed up with 5" of lift and 215s on the MJ (yup, it looked pretty funny). The tech mounted the tires on the new rims and put them on the vehicle anyway. He said he would be too embarrassed to send me back out on the street with the "dinky" tires on there.
Costco did that to me when we had an explorer, saying we had to have some special Michelin tires. We had already paid for another set, but they went above and beyond by going to some random tire shop to get the tires and discounted them to the same price. They even gave the wife a gift card to buy lunch for the wait.

I usually go to discount tire. They have never told me anything about tire size. One time crap about wheel spacers,but that's it. They've actually been fairly decent.
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:56
NAXJA Forum User

BJ's. That's an apt name for that clown outfit. We don't have them here........

Last edited by comanche91; August 12th, 2017 at 08:59.
Old August 12th, 2017, 09:24
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawnjeeper View Post
We usually go to Costco (who doesn't match deals, promotions or prices) for tires and my wife got a free trial membership to BJ's last month. This month save $70 on Michelin tire set of 4 and $30 off the $60 install. I wanted Michelin's and Costco has a Bridgestone (which I really didn't want) $70 off promotion.
IIRC Michelin was bought by a French firm a while back )over 10 years ago?) and the name brand and private label tires they make have recycled rubber in them, and at least down south here in Texas they dry rot on the side walls and tread gaps in just 12 months. I will never touch those brands again. I have only found 2 tire brands now that I use, one made in China of all places (brand I had never heard of), the cheapest ones Walmart had, that have not dry rotted in the last 3 years, and the other brand, a cheap tire ( I forget the brand name) at NTB on my Saturn. I just replaced one that had 75% of the tread left with the side wall so dry rotted it was about to explode. I guess China is not concerned with EPA-EU recyling BS that ruins new tires overnight. I doubt the issue is just recycling rubber, I suspect they have stopped using toxic-heavy metal UV stabilizers in the US-Eurozone fabricated tires as well.

All I know is can not afford 20 new tires a year that only 3,000 miles each on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I suspect it has a lot to do with who you can hire to change tires. That is not anyone's dream job. You aren't getting the best and brightest.

I just offer them as little as possible to screw up.

I will try to screw up the rest myself.
Reminds me of the day about 12 years ago Walmart over torqued my lug nuts. I tried a 6 foot cheater pipe on the tire tool and busted the tire tool .

Was lucky the bolt did not break. A shop finally got it loose in about 1 minute of beating on it using an impact, after a 2 day multiple soak with PB Blaster.....

How they actually service today's complicated electronic rigs with out screwing every one up, is beyond me.

Walmart tried that wrong tire size BS on me once, and then I pointed out the other 3 tires on the jeep were the larger size, and I think the door tag said 235s were OK(? IIRC) for towing, and mine had the tow package, and they computer showed they had installed 235s on my other 3 jeeps for years, LOL. I suggested they might get sued and forced to replace all the wrong (well worn) 235 tires they had already installed if they persisted with that BS. They finally caved, I can be quite persuasive LOL.

They do not seem to check the OEM specs, only the spec on the tire that is already on the rim at Walmart and NTB down here.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091