NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:57
NAXJA Member

Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

My pleasure. I'm glad it was helpful. Let us know if you have any questions or need help.

Scott
Old April 15th, 2017, 00:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpXJ View Post
I have been down this exact road with the XJ. I had a normal 241 out of a JK, non rubicon/standard 2.72 reduction (still have it in the shop). Its exactly like your picture. There is no way to get a speedo signal from this case. I called PLENTY of folks that would know how (including JB), and they all told me I was wasting my time unless I wanted to do a lot of guess work.

It WILL bolt into the XJ once you swap to 1310's, and work just fine. In fact, its like a BEEFY NP231. The case is twice as thick as the 231, and everything inside of it is stronger... you just cant hook up a speedo to it. The JK's have speedo pickup in the front wheel/axle area, so there is no need for the VSS in the Tcase.
Gonna dig this one up from its grave...

I'm in the same situation as Pyro...just bought a 241 4:1 case that was advertised as coming from a '03-'06 Rubi (the tag even says '06), except it's actually a newer JK case (Gen III? - with the heavier-duty webbing, bosses, etc.) Mechanically it will hook up and work fine and I can still return it, but would really like to get the speedo working.

Wouldn't it just be a matter of finding and swapping over a Gen II tail housing with that speedo provision and a 1310 yoke with a sensor on it? And maybe the output shaft if it's longer?
Old April 24th, 2017, 10:07
NAXJA Forum User

This is a great thread, thanks for reviving it! I have a 241OR from a 2003 TJ Rubicon sitting in my garage. My case has the rear output housing with a speed sensor mount. I believe the output shaft is longer than yours since mine has a tone ring for the speed sensor mounted inside the rear output housing. There's also a dowel pin hole in the shaft that retains said tone ring. It's hard to say if the rear output housing from mine would bolt up to your case anyways. I think all 241OR cases came with 1330 yokes or some kind of flange, but there are plenty of aftermarket options for 1310 yokes or what ever you want. I have heard of people using the ABS signal from a rear 8.8 axle converted through some kind of speedo calibration unit to produce a usable signal for your XJs PCM. You have to run an 8.8 for this obviously, but other axles with ABS may work too.
Old November 20th, 2017, 13:02
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for the article. I did my cable shifter 3 years ago. just got the 2 low in today. rtv is drying now.. ( wife got it for me for last X-mas ) i'm running a tad behind. gotta do some rusty frame work, and i'll have it ready for spring
Old December 4th, 2017, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Unhappy Re: 241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiler View Post
Part 4

This should sum up the install. The only item left to install was my Novak Shifter Assembly.

And the best part of it all:

Removal of the stock Z-gate assembly wasnít difficult. Only tedious part I could have dealt without was pulling up the carpet in front of the driverís seat to access the 4 bolts holding the linkageís body floor plate. Novak supplies very detailed instructions with their kit, making install a breeze. I ran into one complication with mine. Teraflex supplies you with a new shift lever for their 2-low, which moves the point where the linkage connects, closer to the body of the case. This prevented the Novak Assembly from installing on the inside of the shift lever, per the instructions. Unfortunetly, the cableís bearing end binds, prohibiting lever movement. I moved mine to the other side, which works fine. Shifting is still 100% better. I need to tweak / adjust the linkage further, but for the time being itís ok.

You can see what Iím referring to in this first image:

After a few test drives, Iíve came to the conclusion my speedometer reads ~15% faster than what Iím actually going. I used my GPS to assist with finding actual speed. I have 4.88 gears, and 35 x 12.50 R 15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws.

Again, with my rig being a daily driver, I want to know exactly how fast Iím going. I decided to order Superliftís Truspeed Speed Sensor Recalibrator. Itís not cheap.

Iíll give yaíll a heads up on how that works, when I receive the unit and install it.

Thanks for looking!

Scott
I know is am old thread, but I just can't seem to get my cable shifter adjusted, I can get 2 hi, and not 4 low, or 4lo, and not 2hi, the range that it needs to more is way more then what it had to before. it's like I can't get enough throw to get the t case threw all the gears. after a week of working on it on and off it's getting old. any tips or ideals ?
Old December 4th, 2017, 18:32
NAXJA Forum User

241OR Rock-Trac/Teraflex 2-Low/Novak Cable Shifter Install

I struggled with mine. I think I centered all the adjustments on the cable and re started. when I gave up it wouldn't shift while sitting still most of the time, but if I was creeping it's shift. it got a little better after driving it, but still it perfect. during cyber Monday I ordered one of the turnbuckle/all thread setups because they were on sale

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old December 4th, 2017, 21:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody4359 View Post
I struggled with mine. I think I centered all the adjustments on the cable and re started. when I gave up it wouldn't shift while sitting still most of the time, but if I was creeping it's shift. it got a little better after driving it, but still it perfect. during cyber Monday I ordered one of the turnbuckle/all thread setups because they were on sale

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think saw some posts that indicates some transfer cases requires more throw than others. Talk with Teraflex. I am sure they have an easy fix for that.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.