NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 11th, 2017, 14:31
NAXJA Forum User

Temperature jumping from warm to hot and back again

Just completed the following on my new-to-me '00 XJ: replaced the valve cover gasket, a pinion seal, steering stabilizer shock, two axle U-joints, one wheel cylinder, and one set of brake shoes. On my way home from the garage, the XJ started to overheat a bit.

This is the first time it has overheated on me. I've only had it a few weeks and haven't driven it much, but I bought it in a town that's around three hours away from me, so I drove it around town and on the interstate for well over three consecutive hours on the day I bought it and didn't experience any overheating whatsoever. After warming up today, the temp sat just a hair past 210, then gradually climbed to the first notch past 210. I made it home by that point and parked it for a couple hours. After letting it sit, I took it up the road and back, and in that time the temp climbed to the same point, sat for a few minutes, then out of nowhere it spiked to the notch below 260. It sat there for a few second, then dropped back to just above 210. Sat for a few more seconds, then did it all over again.

Hoping the thermostat's sticking and I can get by with a $12 or so fix. Any thoughts?