• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AWD TURBO STROKER BUILD UP

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
This is going to be a long post, if your interested, please take the time to read it, this build up started a while ago, its been on jeep forum the whole time, and its 32+ pages long now. Im going to post the high lights and pics here, and ill add to to it as i progress.

The thread is here: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255221

tealcherokee said:
well, my street xj has begun, it has actually taken over all funding for the trail rig...

im going to be posting all my mods in this thread, from here on out....ill bump it when i update it.

Here she is, when i bought her, 1988 laredo, auto, 242...for $250

Image6.jpg

Home and cleaned up, next to my teal jeep, which whats left of the body hits the scrap yard in a few days *sigh* only to be replaced by a tube buggy sometime down the road :)

Image12.jpg

MARCH 28th 2006

Today, 3/28 the work began, i installed some f150 spring up front, or 250, i dont remember (what ever the guys use for the budget lifts)....i cut 2 coils off the springs, and got about 3/4" drop out of them, a surprisingly comfortable ride, and unreal handling. The uphill "S" turns by my house usually make me feel uneasy at 35mph, were now taken like it was a straight road at 45mph, the fastest the little renix could push the brick.

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00379.JPG

Ride height is looking like this for now, although the drivers side is still sitting a little high.

DSC00380.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00382.JPG

I also installed a cone filter just because i had one, seemed to make the engine run a little better, but no noticable power gains.

DSC00376.JPG

DSC00377.JPG

Thats it for now, more updates to come, engine work starts when i return from michigan

tealcherokee said:
HEH...HEH...HEH......

DSCF0833.jpg

DSCF0834.jpg

DSCF0836.jpg

tealcherokee said:
here are the pics from today

April 2, 2006
All washed up, total lowering up front, about 1.5", looks a little more raked than it is, because of the driveway

Image(101).jpg

Some angled views

Image(102).jpg

Image(103).jpg

Steering/bumpstop clearances

Image(104).jpg

3/4 ton brakes and knuckles

Image(105).jpg

Image(106).jpg

Image(107).jpg

Drive flanges

Image(108).jpg

tealcherokee said:
did a little under the hood cleaning/organization today

removed cruise control and some other stuff, evap system is going next, need all the room i can get

DSC00417.JPG

DSC00418.JPG

DSC00419.JPG

and a pic of my nasty hood
DSC00420.JPG

tealcherokee said:
YAY NEW SHOES!!!

went down to pepboys and got a great deal on the tires I wanted. Had them order them today. Total was $339 and change, $80 each + tax

I also ordered some cregars from quadratec, $220 w/ shipping, so, around $550 for wheels and tires

Tires are 255/55-16 General Grabber UHP (not a great tire, but Ive heard REAL good things about them) They come out to 27", smaller than stock, but i opted for the 27's over the 29's (next size up in the 10" width)

Wheels are 16x8, 5" backspacing

ge_grabber_uhp_ci2_l.jpg

ge_grabber_uhp_ci1_l.jpg

36946-lg.jpg

tealcherokee said:
still no wheels....they say monday now.....heres a few pics of the one i mounted up

DSC00425.JPG

DSC00426.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

DSC00428.JPG

Had to buy a locking lug nut set because they didnt have enough regular ones
DSC00429.JPG

This is the start of my shifter for the auto
DSC00430.JPG

DSC00431.JPG

And my girls turbo beetle
DSC00432.JPG

tealcherokee said:

tealcherokee said:
SICK!!! THANKS MAN

some more progress on the jeep, still running like *** first, some pics

Image(110).jpg

Removing the manifolds

Image(109).jpg

Welded in O2 bung...mmmm sexy

Image(111).jpg

O2 installed

The air/fuel gauge is now working quite well, it jumps around a bit, but, gives me a very good idea of whats going on...

BUT!! it didnt fix my probs, as soon as it gets warm, she shuts off, looses spark to be exact. I think the crankshaft position sensor is getting hot still, so, im going to finally do something about an exhaust.

N2Ojeep, did you ever have an issue w/ the open header, or was your jeep HO, using the holofect sensor?

tealcherokee said:
well i broke down, ordered some 30lb injectors, waiting for them...

did some other work today
DSC00462.JPG

Hood struts

DSC00460.JPG

DSC00461.JPG

Cold air intake....
still working on it, more to come

tealcherokee said:
73mm throttle body went on today (its not quite done yet, have some more holes to plug and such)

the manifold hole had to be enlarged almost 10mm!

heres some pics

DSC00466.JPG

DSC00467.JPG

DSC00468.JPG

DSC00469.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

DSC00471.JPG

DSC00472.JPG

DSC00473.JPG

DSC00474.JPG

old TB fits in this one!!

tealcherokee said:
Well i think page 25 needs some pics....

sooooooooooo....

DSCN7057.JPG

Oil return line for the turbo

DSCN7058.JPG

MSD Coil

DSCN7060.JPG

HKS Blow off valve

DSCN7061.JPG

Tial 38mm wastegate, 5.8psi spring

DSCN7062.JPG

El cheapo manual boost controller (probably not going to use it)

DSCN7064.JPG

Air/Fuel gauge

DSCN7066.JPG

Another

DSCN7067.JPG

1/2 shift switch

DSCN7068.JPG

Another

DSCN7069.JPG

Order form for the oil feed line parts.....not including the line

tealcherokee said:
Here they are, sorry, some arent that great

DSC00484.JPG

Oil out from engine

DSC00485.JPG

Oil line

DSC00486.JPG

oil in/turbo in engine bay

DSC00487.JPG

DSC00488.JPG

tealcherokee said:
NEW PARTS!!!

Today i happened to stumble upon a 2000+ style intake manifold. :thumbsup:

the freaking thing is HUGE i bolted it on quickly, it looks awesome

Inlet%20020.jpg

image c/o gojeep

my exhaust manifold didnt work, it hits the intake, so im making another, not as nice, but, simpler (did i say this already?)

hopefully running this week/weekend :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

with the turbo and pipes inder the hood, where is the intercooler going to go?

theres a good spot under the radiator, but the air is blocked by that pesky front
bumper.

streetpirate said:
with the turbo and pipes inder the hood, where is the intercooler going to go?

theres a good spot under the radiator, but the air is blocked by that pesky front
bumper.

yeah, its probably going to be a top mount. or a front mount w. the bumper cut out

How much has this costed you so far? Is the turbo used or did you buy it new. And do you have to weld your own flange on the header?

BBeach said:
How much has this costed you so far? Is the turbo used or did you buy it new. And do you have to weld your own flange on the header?

its a new turbo, if i had paid for the majority of this, so far id be at about $5000.

the turbo was given to me as incentive to build it.

the exhaust has been the biggest issuse so far.

I did the same thing to my old cherokee that you are doing now. It's alot easier to mount the turbo on the otherside of your engine and just run the downpipe to it. As far as the intercooler, remove your ac condensor and place it there...I had one that was 36x12x3 or 4 mounted up there...

This isn't my setup but it is a good pic of what I'm talking about

154_0508_turb_01_z.jpg

Instead of running it directly into the intake I positioned the turbo a little differently and ran it into the intercooler...

MogifiedXJ said:
I did the same thing to my old cherokee that you are doing now. It's alot easier to mount the turbo on the otherside of your engine and just run the downpipe to it. As far as the intercooler, remove your ac condensor and place it there...I had one that was 36x12x3 or 4 mounted up there...

This isn't my setup but it is a good pic of what I'm talking about

154_0508_turb_01_z.jpg

Instead of running it directly into the intake I positioned the turbo a little differently and ran it into the intercooler...

how would the exhaust get to the turbo that way?

Back