• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UpCountry suspension question

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I'm Don BLUTO Bosworth and this is my first post with the NAXJA site. I am also a member of 3SI.org (Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000 sports cars). Your format and page design is very similar to theirs.
Here is some background: I just bought a 2000 XJ Limited w/Aisin-Warner tranny and SelecTrac. I'm running totally stock suspension (for the moment ;) ) and my rear springs have settled about 1" (32Kmiles on odometer). I want to run 1" over stock (UpCountry) and possibly 2" if If I can get away with it (no drivetrain vibration). I would also like to keep my 16" rims and run ~245/70 x 16" tires (225/70 x 16" stock).
Question: I'm having a hard time at the dealer, getting the OEM part #s for the UpCountry springs. They say that there are 8 possible combinations and they need a VIN# to narrow it down. Does anyone have the part #s? OR do you think it would be better for me to go aftermarket? I don't want to put an "add-a-leaf" on substandard rear springs.
The people at work that I've talked to already, tell me that after 1" of lift, we start to get driveline vibrations. I figured UpCountry might be safe (my vehicle is a daily driver,....6 miles of dirt, 25 miles of twisty back roads, and 30 miles of freeway). I occasionally will take it off-road, but no deep mud or Rubicon stuff :eek: .
Yes! I would LOVE to put 3" lift and 31 x 10.5 x 15's on it! ;) , but I get a lot of "transfercase drop", "slip-yoke", "axle shim", "accelerated wear" responses, that I'm afraid that this will become some nightmare modification. Can anyone give me some sucess stories and maybe a supplier with a decent, well engineered lift package for the XJ?
Sound confused, don't I!? :confused: THANX,
BLUTO

I run the OME suspension by ARB. The combination with JC1B rear leaf packs will net you about 1.5" above stock and the ride is unparalelled. I think it's the only way to go for a daily driver. OME is the only true tuned spring/shock combo available for the XJ. Mine's been on for just over a year, and it made a 15 year old truck ride like a new one. I didn't have any driveline issues with mine but there are significant differences in the late model TC which make them more susceptible to minor changes in height. I'd look for input from some of the newer owners on this issue.

I have a 2000 Classic with Up Country, and I took the spring codes to the dealer to buy Up Country springs for my '88. I can get the part numbers for you if you need them. However, let me warn you that the 2000 is absolutely stock (w/ Up Country) and it has severe drive line vibrations. The service writer at the dealership has a '99 with Up Country and he also had severe vibrations.

ANYTHING taller than pure, bone, box-stock height is likely to cause vibrations on any '96 or newer XJ. The factory is installing transfer case drops on the new ones with Up Country to "fix" the problem. I refused -- I paid for extra ground clearance, and I'm not about the take it away where it's most needed. I will be installing a SYE kit. The service writer took the drop and he reported that it cured "most" of his vibrations.

Thanks tlman,
Eagle, from what I gather from your reply,....2000 UpCountry is same ride height as "bone stock" and any attempt to lift it will cause severe vibration issues. The factory came up with an Original Equiptment Manufacture drop kit that cures "most" of the vibrations. And you'll be installing an "SYE" kit on yours. As my post indicates: I'm a newbie,....so what is an SYE kit? And how much lift, what's included in package, does it CURE driveline vibrations caused by lift, and how much???
Thanx,
BLUTO

My 97 with 8.25 Chrysler rear end is at 6" with a SkyJacker Rock Ready lift. I added a Slip Yoke Eliminatior (SYE) and a Constant Velocity(CV) jointed drive shaft and have had no vibes.

I have a '99 with the OME medium duty springs and shocks. I got very minor vibes, and a 1" t-case drop completely solved the issue. There is no substitute for the Old Man Emu ride and i wouldnt trade it for anything out there. My jeep is daily driven and on weekends it handles whatever i throw at it. Within reason. a 2 inch lift is a 2 inch lift

SYE & CV driveshaft

That seems like what I'll have to do if I'm going any higher :rolleyes: than I am now. Can you tell me where you bought these items (website, catalogue,etc)? Was it a bolt-on installation or did you have to break out the hammer and Sawzall ? :repair:
Thanx,
BLUTO

OME suspension

A friend of mine at work told me about the OME suspensions. Who carries this manufacturer? When you drop the TC, what do you have to do to shifter linkage? How does this affect line-up with motor? Is it just a matter of a couple brackets to attach to TC? Does this create a problem in fitting-up a TC skidplate? Is there another link (for newbies) that I can go to find this info, so that I'm not asking questions like a 5 yr old on a long trip? :eek: :D
Thanx,
BLUTO

The OME kit is entirely bolt on. It includes new leafs and coils and four of their Nitrocharger shocks. It is available in either medium or heavy duty, which nets a little more lift. You won't have to trim anything if you stay away from oversized tires.

I bought mine at the 4x4 connection because they are a local dealer in Virginia, but there are several vendors others can point you to.

I'll try posting a link to their site so you can check it out

4x4 connection

or try ARB's corporate site

ARB

They also can include an OME transfer case drop kit in the package, which is basically just a tube steel spacer to put on the crossmember. There should be enough adjustment in the TC linkage so it's not disturbed by the additional half inch spacing.

You can get SYEs from most drivetrain shops and four wheel drive stores. There are a ton of different ones, but almost all of them involve taking apart and reassembling the transfer case. Rubicon Express has the "Hack 'n' Tap" SYE where you cut and tap the output shaft of the transfer case and bolt on an adapter. It is much cheaper, but from what I have heard you get what you pay for. The CV driveshaft is a simple bolt in once you have a SYE. A lot of places sell the two items as a package, so you should just look around for a deal.

SYE's, TC drops, trying to get higher!

Thanks a lot guys, I'll spend a little time surfing the links you sent me later on. Taking apart TC and rebuilding it sounds like a job for a Pro and I don't know if I can afford that right now :( . But I would consider the OME and a TC drop. Let me digest some of this and I'll report back where I'm going with this.
Thanx,
BLUTO

OME suspension

I'm probably going to order the OME set-up tomorrow. I'm looking at the MEDIUM DUTY springs and FIRM shocks. As I've looked at other set-ups, I've seen some different approaches and different ways of "stacking" things up.
I have a question: I came across a Pro Comp 3" lift and they include a front trac bar bracket and lower trailing arms in their kit. My kit according to Rocky Road Outfitters will be 2" to 2-1/2" lift in front and 3" in rear. I also will order some front coil spacers (~1") to make it 3", if needed. So now I will have a 3" lift, will these things be necessary for ANYONE doing a 3" lift,....or is Pro Comp just selling more goodies? :confused: Chris at R.R.O. didn't mention anything else to support my lift.
Thanks for your continued input ;)
BLUTO :)

The trac-bar bracket is worthless. My skyjacker 3" kit came with one. I ran it for a while and didn't like it. It's designed to re-center your axle after lifting it, which can also be done by re-drilling the hole at the axle end or putting on an adjustable trac-bar. As far as lower trailing arms, are you referring to Lower Control Arms? If you are, it's good to replace the LCA's if you're lifting it above 2" in my opinion to keep everything lined up correctly.

Back