• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best bang for the buck

JohnJohn

Member #42
Just bought a daily driver '89, 4.0L, automatic, no lift. I plan on drilling some holes in the bottom of my stock air box and adding a panel style K&N. I added exhaust a few days ago. What other mods should I be doing. I would love to get some more off the line torc along with some top end. Any suggestions would be helpful.

How about a can of BG44K? Clean injectors make a big difference.

Bigger gears, smaller tires.....lowering kit :laugh3:

I got a TB spacer from AJ, back when he was still in business. :( He also hooked me up with a TB that had the taper bored out.

xj-armor is expensive stuff.

Check EBay too.

Jeepersandcreepers also has a TB that has the taper bored out.

On a non-ho motor, also do a high altitude CPS, and ignition stuff, I didn 8mm Accel wires and Accel cap/rotor.

I also did a highflow cat from jegs for like 50$.

I don't know about the renix tb's, but I did my HO tb for free with a dremel. You could save the $60 right there. Also, don't buy the panel filter. Search this website or Dino's and learn how to make your own tube/cone style with heatshield for about the same price and with better performance.

With regards to the spacer, a lot of people don't seem to think they work. When I bored my tb, I did the spacer I had as well, and it seemed to perform very well compared to before. YMMV

Will

JohnJohn said:
Just bought a daily driver '89, 4.0L, automatic, no lift. I plan on drilling some holes in the bottom of my stock air box and adding a panel style K&N. I added exhaust a few days ago. What other mods should I be doing. I would love to get some more off the line torc along with some top end. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here's a little list for you:

1. Homebrew FIPK similar to mine
2. Bored TB and spacer
3. High-flow cat, performance muffler
4. Modify downpipe to remove kinks
5. Ditch clutch fan and go dual electric

If you still think you don't have enough power after doing all these things, you can always build a stroker. :D Mine only cost $1134 to build so at a mere $4.31 per HP, that's a lot of bang for the buck.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Dr. Dyno said:
Here's a little list for you:

1. Homebrew FIPK similar to mine
2. Bored TB and spacer
3. High-flow cat, performance muffler

I'm in for these. I plan on using a reflective windshiled cover to inclose the air box. Drill some huge holes in that thing and put a K&N panel in it.

Bid on the 59.5mm TB from ArtSound and the TB spacer from XJ-armor.

Passed on the high flow cat, the one I have is pretty open, and went with a Flowmaster muffler yestarday.

Thanks!

Back