• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Look what I found!!!

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
So while exploring a museum in Kenosha...

I stumbled upon this:

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

I knew K-town was AMC mecca but an XJ 4.0?

Learn something new everyday!

Very cool Gil!

So...............how did you get it out of there?

Someone needs to sneak in a NAXJA sticker and put it on that sucker! :thumbup:

btw, what museum is that?

Cool, a manual trans bellhousing(minus some critical stuff)? Yes, where is that? Have to check it out sometime

Cool beans Gil.

Any background story on the signatures? Line workers or surviving designers or?

This is what I know/remember about AMC and Kenosha.

The Kenosha plant was the Detroit of Wisconsin. AMC did everything there.

The State of Wisconsin bought tons of AMC pieces when they were in business, and when Chrysler bought them to get the Jeep name, the State made a deal with Lee to keep the Jeep plant open in exchange for big tax breaks.

Then Chrysler pulled out and killed the Jeep factory.

The engine plant is pretty much all that remains of AMC in Kenosha.

Since you like museums, have you been to the FWD one in Clintonville? I hear it's interesting. FWD is owned by Seagrave now.

Ron

Last edited:
RTicUL8 said:
Someone needs to sneak in a NAXJA sticker and put it on that sucker! :thumbup:

btw, what museum is that?

We've got a few decals.

It is in MWC territory. :D

HaleYes said:
We've got a few decals.

Yea, well lets see whose got the nad's for something other than blow up sheep :D :D :D :D :D

HaleYes said:
We've got a few decals.

Looks like there's room on the intake manifold. :D

===

Zuki-Ron said:
This is what I know/remember about AMC and Kenosha.

The Kenosha plant was the Detroit of Wisconsin. AMC did everything there.

The State of Wisconsin bought tons of AMC pieces when they were in business, and when Chrysler bought them to get the Jeep name, the State made a deal with Lee to keep the Jeep plant open in exchange for big tax breaks.

Then Chrysler pulled out and killed the Jeep factory.

The engine plant is pretty much all that remains of AMC in Kenosha.

Since you like museums, have you been to the FWD one in Clintonville? I hear it's interesting. FWD is owned by Seagrave now.

Ron

FWD as in the old-skool all wheel drive heavy trucks? The town I grew up in had a number of those for plow & sand duty. Were they a subsidiary of Autocar?

woody said:
FWD as in the old-skool all wheel drive heavy trucks? The town I grew up in had a number of those for plow & sand duty. Were they a subsidiary of Autocar?

Yes, FWD is big multi-wheel drive trucks.
My previous post was wrong, FWD owns Seagrave, not the other way around.

Currently they make Fire Engines and the Corporate HQ is still in Clintonville.

Oshkosh Trucks also makes big multi-wheel drive trucks and also owns Pierce, which it manufactures in Appleton.

So in fact, we currently have 2 Fire Engine manufactures in Wisconsin.

Autocar...
The name was unfamiliar, so I looked it up. White bought them, then Volvo bought White.

Ron

OK cool...

I heard of Oshkosh before, then they got the contract for the Army HEMMTT back in the 80s... IIRC they may be the ones building the 'new' Army 2.5t (4 big wheels vs 10 on the old ones)

Autocar may have been a regional thing, like Western Star OTR rigs was more west-coast and Canada back in the day (70s) Seemed like every sand-pit/quarry/paving co up in the NE used either Autocar or Mack tandem dumps...

Zuki-Ron said:
Yes, FWD is big multi-wheel drive trucks.
My previous post was wrong, FWD owns Seagrave, not the other way around.

Currently they make Fire Engines and the Corporate HQ is still in Clintonville.

Oshkosh Trucks also makes big multi-wheel drive trucks and also owns Pierce, which it manufactures in Appleton.

So in fact, we currently have 2 Fire Engine manufactures in Wisconsin.

Autocar...
The name was unfamiliar, so I looked it up. White bought them, then Volvo bought White.

Ron

I like the hemmet, the only thing I don't like about them is the angle of the gas pedal, too steep and it hurts my size 14 foot and ankle after about 4 hours of driving, other than that it is a very comfy ride.

Back