• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame rail plating

Gunter

NAXJA Forum User
for those who have done it, how durable is it?
i ask because as a collision guy, doing that sort of stuff is a no no. welds always break at teh edges for all the cracks( full frames and unibodies).
frames and rails crack like crap when welded. in my work the edges and any holes welded up or cracks by steering boxes are stuff we hate because there seems to be no real lasting repair.

I think most people do it as a preventative measure.

Although, some people seem to get weld-happy; more is better!!! :doh:

The unibodies to tend to flex when left un-strengthened. Generally speaking, a properly mounted cage or exo cage coupled with stiffeners up front and along the middle tend to make our XJ's pretty solid.

I can't recall any posts where the plating done by folks here has ever come apart at the welds. For the most part, folks plate using 1" or so welds along the edges spaced an inch or two apart, and cut holes in the plates in order to do rosette welds along various locations across the flat surfaces.

thanks for the replies--
i know even street cars run hard, the spot welds will start to break and flex and loosen up. and heck yeah for a cage--
ya'll should see what some manufacturers do--there are foam filled rockers and a pillars! made to make them stiffer and more crush resistant. the foam is hard when cured, no soft and mushy. weird stuff

Wow, another new retard member...what hack shop do you work at? You sound like you're really good at collision work. That foam is a form of nvhm, noise vibration and harshness material... Meant to quiet road noise and it's found in waay more places then just a pillars and rockers.

wtf? maybe you need to be at pirate. dont reply if you plan on being a dick .
if you have nothing to add then shut your your damn mouth.

Wow, another new retard member...what hack shop do you work at? You sound like you're really good at collision work. That foam is a form of nvhm, noise vibration and harshness material... Meant to quiet road noise and it's found in waay more places then just a pillars and rockers.

SAM_0290.jpg

SAM_0286.jpg

SAM_0022.jpg

SAM_0020.jpg

SAM_0018.jpg

yes -- plate them, it makes a significant difference in the longevity of the XJ if wheeled, and you'll feel the difference in chassis stiffness even on the road. Lots of rosettes like flores showed, and stitch weld the seams to the unibody, patiently. You guys do get cranky in the spring time... :cheers:

wtf? maybe you need to be at pirate. dont reply if you plan on being a dick .
if you have nothing to add then shut your your damn mouth.

Don't mind him much dude. He usually chimes in with utterly useless bullsh!t and then phucks right back off again.

He's never helpful and always rude.. Seems pretty self important and likes to stir up the sh!t.

One of those, "been there, done that, everyone's retarded but me, I've done it bigger and better so who cares about anyone else's sh!t? kinda kids.

Last edited:
Don't mind him much dude. He usually chimes in with utterly useless bullsh!t and then phucks right back off again.

He's never helpful and always rude.. Seems pretty self important and likes to stir up the sh!t.

One of those, "been there, done that, everyone's retarded but me, I've done it bigger and better so who cares about anyone else's sh!t? kinda kids.

Or maybe you two just need to change your tampons
Again stfu fix your junk lets go wheel

Back