NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 25th, 2015, 09:22
NAXJA Forum User

Expedition Build: Yellow Jeep XJ

Interior Upgrades

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. MOLLE Seat Covers, Quadratic Heavy Duty all weather floor and cargo mats, and started outfitting the interior of the rig.
MOLLE gear (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) was the best way for me to maximize space, organize equipment, and customize on the fly.
Went with the heavy duty floor mats because they can handle all elements in all seasons. Easy to clean, regardless of terrain. Very low maintenance.

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. MOLLE Seat Covers:

MOLLE Gear Outfitted with:

Ka-bar and assorted knives, Axe, Hatchet, Kukuri, Spetsnaz Trench Shovel, Maglites and various flash lights (battery operated and manual wind up), canteens, maps, compass, ponchos, Fire Starters (Flint and steel, wind proof matches, lights, etc) Med Kit, Multiple Tool sets, Jumper cables, Survival gear, bungees, ratchet straps, recovery equipment (Tree saver, snatch strap, tow straps, snatch block, d-rings) and a lot more. Just to give you a general idea of the setup.
Customized seats, and made some alterations.

In back a Mechanic's Tote that includes: (Coolant, oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, PB Blaster, Spark Plugs, oil filter, Duct Tape, Electrical tape, fuses, assorted wrenches and screwdrivers, electrical/crimp tool, Quick Steel, Super Glue, zip ties, tape measure, scissors, bottle opener, etc etc)

Equipping MOLLE Gear

Old November 25th, 2015, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Expedition Build: Yellow Jeep XJ

Nice build sir! If you get bored I have a few threads around with my 01 build. Expedition portal is a great place to kill some time and snatched ideas too.
Old November 25th, 2015, 14:40
NAXJA Forum User

Partial Exhaust and Coolant System Replacement

Replacing the Radiator, water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing, thermostat inlet tube.
Decided on doing an A.C. delete; removing the compressor, condenser and canisters.
Replacing with an A.C. bypass pulley temporarily until I relocate the alternator to the former A.C.'s location.

Also replacing the pre-cats, the 4 O2 sensors and the front pipe.
This is the second step of the exhaust replacement.
In our first step we previously replaced the exhaust from the front pipe back with some custom work and a Flow Master Super 44.
All that will be left to replace is a new header, that will be step 3.

Parts
Old November 26th, 2015, 00:13
NAXJA Forum User

WTF do you need that much cutlery for?
If you need more than a 4" folding knife and a hatchet, you're doing it wrong. Come to think of it, I've spent an ass-ton of time in the woods and I'm doubtful you need the hatchet.
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:12
Piece of Fish!

OP, is your shackle angle REALLY that turrable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
If you need more than a 4" folding knife and a hatchet, you're doing it wrong. Come to think of it, I've spent an ass-ton of time in the woods and I'm doubtful you need the hatchet.
The Obacalypse could be near..
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
I've got one of those as well.
I agree, they are quite handy.
Though clearing a trail can be a difficult task for a 4" lock blade.
This vehicle is intended to be self sufficient in any environment for extended periods of time. As such the Jeep is equipped with various tools with multiple purposes to help achieve this goal.
Old November 26th, 2015, 07:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
OP, is your shackle angle REALLY that turrable?
Unfortunately yes. My rear shackle angle is not optimum.
Going to get a rear shackle relocation kit to get my angle to 45 degrees.
This is my angle as it sits now.

Rear Shackle Angle

Old November 26th, 2015, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re-gear: 4.56

Decided to re-gear to 4.56 on the front Dana 30 and rear Dana 35.
Added some "Solid" Differential Covers as well.
I had a shop do the re-gear as I have no prior experience re-gearing axles.

Re-gearing the Dana 35, while not my first choice was something that will at least hold me over until I can get my Rear Ford 8.8 swap next year.
The Dana 30/35 combo has held up well on a cross country road trip that included hitting trails across the U.S. in places such as Moab and Sedona with no issues.
While I am aware that the Dana 35 could be the Jeep's "Achilles Heel",
it has proved to not be nearly as fragile as some may say.
The Dana 35 has it's limitations, but in my experience if driven with control it will perform just fine under load and on trails.
That being said I am running 33" tires and open/open.
If I was running 35" tires and locked it might be a different story.

Solid Differential Covers

Old November 26th, 2015, 14:42
NAXJA Forum User

Wow. I'd shoot myself if I wasted that much on a dana turdy5. I understand and am not bashing you... but ouch.
And don't sweat having more than a few blades. It never hurts to have one handy and if its more than one you can pick the one best suited for the task at hand.
Old November 26th, 2015, 15:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
Wow. I'd shoot myself if I wasted that much on a dana turdy5. I understand and am not bashing you... but ouch.
And don't sweat having more than a few blades. It never hurts to have one handy and if its more than one you can pick the one best suited for the task at hand.
Trust me, it was my last option.
It was a judgment call I had to make with a limited time frame before a cross country expedition. Couldn't find a clean axle in my area at all, I looked. One of the draw backs to living in New England. So I worked with what I had.
My axle was clean, it was there, so I made a choice.
I will be putting in an 8.8 next year.
At that point I can sell my re-geared clean axles and make my money back easy up here, or start another project... hopefully
Old November 26th, 2015, 15:56
NAXJA Forum User

Have you been driving it with the new gears? I'm just getting my 410s to match running stock JK rubicon take offs. Curious if 456 is to much gear for 33s. What's highway rps looking like?
Old November 26th, 2015, 16:07
NAXJA Forum User

I run 4.88 with 33s on my TJ, i have the auto trans though. Runs ~2500 at 70mph. Perfect gearing for my set up.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
Have you been driving it with the new gears? I'm just getting my 410s to match running stock JK rubicon take offs. Curious if 456 is to much gear for 33s. What's highway rps looking like?
4.56 is perfect for a jeep with 33's in my opinion. Rpm's were fine, like driving stock. Drove it on a month long cross country trip. From 80mph on the interstate; to trails in the Rockies, Moab, Mojave and Sedona just to name a few, fully loaded with gear.
I was averaging 16mpg.

Personally I am going to upgrade to 4.88 when I do my axle swap.
4.56 was as deep as I could safely go on my present axles, front LP Dana 30 and Rear Dana 35. I have a lot of added weight due to bumpers, spare tire, sliders, skid plates, armor and gear. Digging deeper to 4.88 will help compensate for the weight and hill climbs.
Old November 27th, 2015, 06:22
NAXJA Forum User

I went 4.88 due to auto and to compensate for added weight. I went from 12/14mpg to 16/18 mpg by going 4.88 and from BFG M/T tires to BFG A/T tires. I woukdnt have been happy with 4.56. Works perfectly on the trails and impressed me on my last outing.

I do have an HPD30 and D44.
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:48
NAXJA Forum User

Good to hear ya'lls gear choices are working out well. I'm gonna run the 410s for a while with the 255/70r17s and see how they do. I know once I finish the rear drawers, add the fridge and gear, I'll probably need to go deeper for better all around drivability. Pretty sure the 8.8 won't care about 488s but the 30 may be at its limit at 456. Guess we'll see...
Funny how the right gears make a huge difference, especially when we start making our jeeps feel like us after thanksgiving dinner.