NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 27th, 2009, 23:20
NAXJA Forum User

Re: WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

Give these guys a call, I ordered my bolts from them.
12mm 1.25 pitch grade 12.9 in any length you want.
In stock, ships the same day.

http://www.metricspecialties.com/
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:22
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbwrx View Post
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of only using the grade 8.8. 10.9 in that size/pitch are hard to find, as Mcmaster among other places didn't have them.
Mcmaster did have grade 12.9 in a 12mm 1.25pitch, but it has an allen style head. I just went with those. Brakes are not an area I want to scrimp on bolt strength. I don't think the 10mm allen head size will be an issue. I think there will be plenty of shoulder on the bolt to work in that spot.
As long as you can get the torque it shouldn't matter. Plus Allen heads are stronger anyway. I even use them for wheel studs in my rear 9"

Last edited by monkeyevil; October 28th, 2009 at 09:28.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:54
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkrawler View Post
Question for you guys: Do I need to get the WJ Caliper brackets and bolts from the JY WJ along with the knuckles or do the Caliper brackets and bolts come with the new parts?
What new parts are you planning on purchasing?

I bought my WJ calipers/brackets new from the dealer ($165 pair) and they came with the bolts to attach the brackets to the knuckles. They also came loaded with pads and had 4 copper washers for the banjo bolts. I had to purchase the banjo bolts seperately.

I also discovered that my XJ hub to knuckle bolts were about 1/2" longer than the same WJ bolts, so I reused them instead. This is key to note, because the addition of the JKS weld-on spacer increases thickness of the knuckle area, requiring the longer bolt.
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:07
NAXJA Member # 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Does redrilling the rotors weaken them at all?
I'm not a engineer....but I say no, if you do it right.
Old October 28th, 2009, 16:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post

I bought my WJ calipers/brackets new from the dealer ($165 pair) and they came with the bolts to attach the brackets to the knuckles. They also came loaded with pads and had 4 copper washers for the banjo bolts. I had to purchase the banjo bolts seperately.

You happen to have the part numbers on that at hand and is that the total price or for each side?
Old October 28th, 2009, 17:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
You happen to have the part numbers on that at hand and is that the total price or for each side?
my guess is 05093174AA

From here:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

i believe it is for the pair, as XJEEPER said
Old October 28th, 2009, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

i want to do this mod so bad, but there are no pick and pulls anywhere near me, and i would have to score the whole front axle to get all the bits from a "they pull it".... -10 points for michigan
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJEEPER View Post

I also discovered that my XJ hub to knuckle bolts were about 1/2" longer than the same WJ bolts, so I reused them instead. This is key to note, because the addition of the JKS weld-on spacer increases thickness of the knuckle area, requiring the longer bolt.
I think you answered my question. I have both WJ knuckles and steering but I do not have the caliper brackets or bolts. I plan to buy the new loaded Akebono caliper kits like you did and I didn't know if the brackets and bolts were included.

Also, I assume that I need 2 of the JKS spacers, one for each side?

Just curious, why the need to weld them on if there sandwiched between the unit bearings and knuckles and held in place by the 3 bolts? Are they really going to move? Maybe I'm missing something
Old October 29th, 2009, 14:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrigorenko View Post
i want to do this mod so bad, but there are no pick and pulls anywhere near me, and i would have to score the whole front axle to get all the bits from a "they pull it".... -10 points for michigan
There are no pick n pull yards where I live either. I went through http://car-part.com/. Found the knuckles at a place in Denver (as close to local s I could find). They shipped them to me. I think they were $150 or so. That was the only part I got used. Everything else was new.
Old October 29th, 2009, 16:09
NAXJA Member

Do the dealers have a core charge?
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:41
NAXJA Forum User

Just some confirmation notes. I finished putting my stuff back together with the new hubs and this is what I found in regards to spacing:

2001 TJ Hubs, Akenobo calipers, Sport Trac rotors

The rotors DO need to be spaced out by a one washer thickness. They sit too far inboard just bolted up. You might be able to get away with it as the pistons float, but having the rotor centered in the caliper is probably more ideal. I do not think spacing the rotor out will be an issue.

In case others are wondering about steering: I did lose a little bit a turn radius with the stock XJ pitman arm. The WJ arm is a bit longer, but has less drop. To keep my angles correct, I ended up getting a Waggy dropped pitman arm. It is longer like the WJ and has the same drop as the stock XJ arm. I got mine through PORC and they had the best price I could find.
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:41
NAXJA Forum User

How much of the WJ steering should I grab from the WJ? Also what was the thickness of the washer used to space the Sport Trac rotors?
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
How much of the WJ steering should I grab from the WJ? Also what was the thickness of the washer used to space the Sport Trac rotors?
It depends on how you are going to set up your steering. I would say grab all of it, but it depends on what kind of shape the tie rod ends are in.

I used some 1/2" grade 8 washers that were about 1/16" thick to space out the sport track rotors.
Old November 8th, 2009, 20:37
NAXJA Forum User

Isn't the WJ steering too wide to use on an XJ?
Old November 8th, 2009, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

also, something to note, explorer rotors seem to be in general about $10 more each... so if you can get WJs redrilled for around that...might be worth the simplicity to get them and not have to worry about weird caliper spacing issues.

Also, has anyone used your stock XJ steering linkage with these knuckles? (I kinda want to, mainly want them for the brake upgrade). That 4x4wire site talks about issues hitting hte stock track bar, I don't want to have to deal with relocating the mount or anything like that.