• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ won't start/not even a click

roostmonster

NAXJA Forum User
Ok now I am stumped. I have been running up and down my stairs for the past 2 hours reading and then trying everything I have been able to research on this site. Still I have nothing. Here's the deal. Parked the 96 XJ 4.0 4X4 auto w/94,000 miles in the drive way last night. Came back out this morning and tried to start it up and nothing, not even a click. Radio works, lights etc. I pulled off the NSS and cleaned it up. Re-installed it and same thing. Turn key, power to all and nada, not even a click. Tried jumping from batt to starter and starter turned right over. Any idea's where to look next? Researching here my ignition switch should be good because I have power to all in the run and acc positions. I'm stuck at home with a ticked off wife and my beer fridge is empty....Please help

Ok so I go back out after typing my first post and guess what....It cranked right over. So I started it a couple of times and then drove it around the block. I parked it and now it won't start again. I hate problems like these......

I pulled the starter out and am going to take it in to have it tested tomorrow. I need to close the hood for today. I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

Well it turns out I had a bad battery ground cable. $9.99 plus tax and I'm back down the road. Talk about getting out cheap. I did learn alot from this site. WIthout it I would still be sitting in my garage. Thanks NAXJA......

I had the same problem with my 96 XJ. It happened one day out of the blue. Turned out to be the ignition switch. A small piece of metal chipped off of the bottom of the key cylinder cup causing the ignition switch not to make up in the start position. (All other switch positions worked correctly). The giveaway clue was that there was unusual rotational slop in the switch when in the RUN position. A new key cylinder and ignition switch was required to fix the problem. Works like a charm now. The assembly was pretty straightforward to replace. However, the 96XJ factory service manual was sadly lacking in detail.

Back