• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on Replacing AC Components

GreatOdin'sRaven

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, if this has been asked/answered before.

I have searched for hours on NAXJA and other threads, but have not found a write-up or anything that answers all of my questions.

I just purchased a 1999 XJ (4.L). The AC does not work and hasn't worked for years.

I have already determined two things: 1) The system is empty and 2) The compressor needs to be changed.

MY QUESTIONS:

1) Do I need to change the accumulator also?
2) Do I need to change the AC Refrigerant Liquid Hose (with orifice tube)
2.1 if either of those components need to be changed as well, in what order do I change the parts? Example: accumulator, orifice tube then compressor last
3) How much PAG oil do I put in the new compressor?
3.1 What if the old compressor has no oil at all?​
4) At what point to I take it to a mechanic to have it Charged, Flushed, Vac etc?

I am trying to avoid destroying a new compressor due to contamination or improper oil amount.

Any help is greatly appreciated even if you can only answer 1 of the 4 questions.

First, you need to find out why its empty. A leaking evap core under the dash often times is the culprit and a big pain to change. Why do you think the compressor is bad? If it is, then most likely your entire system is contaminated and needs to be flushed or have parts replaced. I went through this last summer and just wound up replacing every part as my compressor was bad and evap core was leaking. Rather than attempt to flush the condenser I just got new one for $60 from rock auto. Altogether it cost me $500 including having a shop charge the system. The order in which you change the parts doesnt matter since you'll do them pretty much at the same time. The line with the orifice tube should be changed because it could be clogged with debris. My new compressor came with no oil but had a sticker indicating the proper amount. Your accumulator should be changed as well. Once everything is swapped out have a shop vacuum and charge the system. IMO you should just do what I did and replace everything. It doesnt make sense to put a new compressor on an old system that has sat for years being exposed to moisture. Good luck!

First, you need to find out why its empty. A leaking evap core under the dash often times is the culprit and a big pain to change. Why do you think the compressor is bad? If it is, then most likely your entire system is contaminated and needs to be flushed or have parts replaced. I went through this last summer and just wound up replacing every part as my compressor was bad and evap core was leaking. Rather than attempt to flush the condenser I just got new one for $60 from rock auto. Altogether it cost me $500 including having a shop charge the system. The order in which you change the parts doesnt matter since you'll do them pretty much at the same time. The line with the orifice tube should be changed because it could be clogged with debris. My new compressor came with no oil but had a sticker indicating the proper amount. Your accumulator should be changed as well. Once everything is swapped out have a shop vacuum and charge the system. IMO you should just do what I did and replace everything. It doesnt make sense to put a new compressor on an old system that has sat for years being exposed to moisture. Good luck!

DO THIS......find out why the system failed.Late 90,s had problems with the evaporator core leaking.Replacing the core is a $$ job.

Hey thanks for responding. Okay to answer some of your questions.

I have checked the system and there was a charge, about 45 PSI. Indicating there is no leak in the system and has not been exposed to moisture.

When running the AC On full, the
Compressor clutch would only engage for a few seconds then cut off for about 15 seconds, repeating this process endlessly whilst the AC not blowing cold air. Indicating a bad compressor/clutch.

The system has since been emptied by a local shop.

I plan to change the compressor, the accumulator and the orifice tube line as you suggested.

My compressor also has a sticker on it indicating there is 3oz in it from the factory. 1999 XJ's need 8.1 oz of oil to be full so I will add 5 oz. considering I'm changing 3 components.

My biggest and last question is cleaning (flushing?) system. How do I ensure that I get all the particles/debris out of my system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the shop vacuum the system at that time and verify no leaks? Empty your new compressor and verify how much oil is in it. I was told my new compressor would come filled with oil but in fact it was pretty much empty. Was your old compressor loud when it did come on? If not you may have been spared from getting debris in the system. When you remove the accumulator dump it out, measure the amount of oil so you know what to put back in but also check for debris. If it's clean you probably won't need a flush. You could ask the shop to do it for you for extra insurance but thats up to you and your wallet.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for responding. Okay to answer some of your questions.

I have checked the system and there was a charge, about 45 PSI. Indicating there is no leak in the system and has not been exposed to moisture.

45 psi where? Low side? high side? what ambient temp did you get this reading at? was the engine running or not?

When running the AC On full, the
Compressor clutch would only engage for a few seconds then cut off for about 15 seconds, repeating this process endlessly whilst the AC not blowing cold air. Indicating a bad compressor/clutch.

This could indicate that the system is simply low/high on refrigerant due to a leak/overcharge. Mine would do this every spring as I had a slow leak in my evap core.

The system has since been emptied by a local shop.

Did they pull and HOLD a vacuum on the system? this process should take quite a while, and would tell you about leaks in the system.

I plan to change the compressor, the accumulator and the orifice tube line as you suggested.

If you believe it is the compressor that has failed, change the entire system as insurance. Debris still in an old part can destroy a new compressor.

My compressor also has a sticker on it indicating there is 3oz in it from the factory. 1999 XJ's need 8.1 oz of oil to be full so I will add 5 oz. considering I'm changing 3 components.

What about the oil in the accumulator? or the lines? Drain each component into a cup to measure and put that amount back in to the system. Or start completely fresh and use the total amount!

My biggest and last question is cleaning (flushing?) system. How do I ensure that I get all the particles/debris out of my system?

you can't really. I highly suggest a complete replacement of all components. Costs have come down immensely in recent years. The late model condensers are also parallel flow with VERY VERY small tubes, less than the size of the tip of a ball point pen, and flushing does not get all the debris from those tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back