• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Mechanism Stripped? (and a couple other problems)

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1989 XJ with manual windows. Well, the front passenger side window today decided it did not want to roll up. When spinning the handle either direction I get a gnarly grinding sound.

Is something just loose or should I be in the market for a new Mechanism? I haven't had the chance to look at it fully yet with the door panel off. A venture I will be diving into tomorrow. But if someone could tell me what I may be looking for that would be a huge relief.

I would really like this to be a simple and cheap fix as I would like to get the other stuff fixed, but alas, it rains a lot so I need my window to roll up :p.

On a side note: I get some knocking in the front axle when in 4 wheel drive and accending and when I turn sharp to the right, it makes a pretty gross grinding sound. I just replaced nearly every bushing and ends in the front steering, tie rods and all that replaced. It also doesn't make the sound when turning right. (31x10.5 R15 KM2's on stock wheels, 2" lift).

Thanks for all help in advanced. Love this community.

I took the door apart, and found it only occurs when the windows has been rolled down the other way. We are good for now.

Any ideas on the other problems?

I have not looked at the front u-joints. That is actually one of things that did not get replaced. It will be the next to get looked at.

I also think the auto hubs are slipping in an out when in 4 wheel drive creating the knocking noise. Any Ideas?

I have a similar problem so I will ask here instead of starting a new thread.

99 xj sport

someone decided to have angry sex with my front passenger window, window broke.
I picked up a new window today and installed it but when i try to roll up the window it does nothing.
it seems that it is not making contact with the scissor lifting mechanism I can lift it freely within its track with my hands.
window regulator?
if i take the window back out and watch to see if the mechanism is actually spinning would that tell me if it is in fact the regulator or my user error?

Back