NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 9th, 2017, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

How to tell of factory Durango box is plow or non-plow version?

Is there any way to determine if a '98 Dodge Durango steering box in vehicle at the junkyard was the plow or non-plow version? From the reviews, it seems like the plow version may be the way to go on an XJ.

Ordering reman boxes, you can specify plow or non-plow, but how to tell about used boxes at the junkyard if they are plow or non-plow just by looking at the box?
Old August 11th, 2017, 09:48
NAXJA Member #1145

Re: How to tell of factory Durango box is plow or non-plow version?

Don't know where you get the idea the plow version is the one to go for. Everything I've seen has been quite specific in that it's the NON-plow-prepped piece.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:26
NAXJA Forum User

From this thread and a few others,
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=915103&page=8

I went ahead and bought a '98 Durango gear box from a salvage yard. It has about 2 3/4 turns, lock-to-lock. I was hoping for the 3 3/8" turns unit, which I understand was for the plow version.

How do we tell from the markings on the box itself if it is for plow or non-plow?
Old August 12th, 2017, 14:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
From this thread and a few others,
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=915103&page=8

I went ahead and bought a '98 Durango gear box from a salvage yard. It has about 2 3/4 turns, lock-to-lock. I was hoping for the 3 3/8" turns unit, which I understand was for the plow version.

How do we tell from the markings on the box itself if it is for plow or non-plow?
I wonder if Dodge used a shorter pitman arm and the same box with stops removed for the snow plow version to make more steering power. Mine was from a 98 non-P and used a variable rate gear and internal stops in the box preventing a full 90* rotation. I think the only way to tell is ratio and degrees of articulation.