NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 4th, 2017, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Looking for a winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
i bought the smittybuilt 9500 pound winch with rope for 350.

lighter, smaller, and faster line speed then a comparable warn or superwinch. i did a ton of researching comparing a lot of winches... motor size, gearing, construction, etc. and it just so happened that the one i felt fit my needs/usage best was also fairly cheap. has been problem free for 2 years now. the advantage of rope far outweighs the extra pulling power. its literally 70 pounds less hanging off the front of the vehicle compared to cable. these arent full size trucks either. if 9500# isnt enough, a snatch block picks up the slack very cheap and easily.

no... i see an advantage in my stuff working if and when i need it. it should not fail. you should be checking and prepping your equipment routinely and before and after a significant trip. a warranty will not make up for ones lack of preparation in the event that they need the equipment.

this. ive done this.

even when you are confident in your equipment, its terrifying.
I'll check out the Smittybilt line up too, thanks. I agree with you on prepping and maintaining the equipment pre and post trip, this prevents a lot of headache just like with most things. What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying? btw it's Friday!
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumeknob View Post
I'll check out the Smittybilt line up too, thanks. I agree with you on prepping and maintaining the equipment pre and post trip, this prevents a lot of headache just like with most things. What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying? btw it's Friday!
broken an chromoly axle shaft on a ridge line wheeling royal blue... 2 feet on the side of each tire. 100ft down one way, 700 ft down the other. pulled the winch tight to a tree to steady the jeep while i worked on it. come to find out my spare shaft didnt fit properly so i had to roll out i 3wd. even after getting moving, my front diff got hung up, something that 4wd would have pushed through. the rear end was breaking traction and wanting to slide uncomfortably close to the edge. so out came the winch again to slowly work pull over what was hanging me up.

that was the day i found out i hate ridges.
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
What experiences have you guys had that make it terrifying?
How about hanging off the side of a mountain with about another 4-500' it could fall! I wouldn't even get out of my Jeep in fear of upsetting any weight transfer. I had someone else pull out my cable and hook it up so I could at least get a anchor point on so it wouldn't fall/slide any further!
Old August 4th, 2017, 08:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Well, there are other ways to get a vehicle out. If you have a winch one can assume you have a hilift- it, too, is a winch.

for that matter, you have winches mounted on every vehicle. They're called tires.
Sometimes you have to be creative. Again I'll refer back to FM 20-22. It is quite literally, the Vehicle Recovery Bible. If you're this worried about getting stuck, there ought to be a copy of this in your glovebox, and you should have read it already.

EDIT: Because I'm a nice guy- here's a copy for $8.60, shipped to your door:
https://www.ebay.com/i/160942678178?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Disclaimer- not me, not my auction. I just bought one, myself, to put in my son's XJ.
cool! look forward to reading it. love learning new recovery methods.

But I still don't want a crappy winch!!
Old August 4th, 2017, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

guy in local club has HF 10K I believe. sent him a message yesterday. his response:

Yes, I have probably made over 100 pull with it at this point. Other people say Harbor Freight winches are slow, but I have nothing to base it off of. I have never broken anything on it yet. The only issue I have ever had is the thermal overprotective will kick in and I have to let the winch cool down. I've only had that happen when pulling very heavy people (3/4 ton trucks) out of the mud. Since then, I started using a snatch block to double up and have not had any issues. I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever recommending the winch to anyone.

Maybe it's not a crappy winch....
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:

EDIT: Because I'm a nice guy- here's a copy for $8.60, shipped to your door:
https://www.ebay.com/i/160942678178?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Disclaimer- not me, not my auction. I just bought one, myself, to put in my son's XJ.

Just ordered one... Thanks

Like I said, I have a HF 12K new in box -- I'm going to run it

I've read plenty of good reviews on the 12k
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:22
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
guy in local club has HF 10K I believe. sent him a message yesterday. his response:

Yes, I have probably made over 100 pull with it at this point. Other people say Harbor Freight winches are slow, but I have nothing to base it off of. I have never broken anything on it yet. The only issue I have ever had is the thermal overprotective will kick in and I have to let the winch cool down. I've only had that happen when pulling very heavy people (3/4 ton trucks) out of the mud. Since then, I started using a snatch block to double up and have not had any issues. I would have absolutely no problem whatsoever recommending the winch to anyone.

Maybe it's not a crappy winch....
Hmm, this sounds familiar.. when have I heard this before?

;P
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Hmm, this sounds familiar.. when have I heard this before?

;P
Not following you... verbatim response from a guy who's running the exact winch in question. Whats your point??
Old August 4th, 2017, 09:41
NAXJA Member

HF is slower with a shorter duty cycle (shorter pulls and longer cool down). I personally don't trust them to make a solid brake, but I have no evidence that its bad.

The Smittybilt X2O are waterproof. Used mine 20+ times last year, including holding the jeep on the side of a hill while I changed a tire (jeep slid off the jacks without the winch).
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:13
NAXJA Forum User

What do you guys think of the Smittybilt XRC-9.5K? Is jumping up to the X2O worth the extra reliability wise? Wireless seems neat but not sure how it holds up like a corded one.
Old August 6th, 2017, 12:53
NAXJA Member

Main buying point for the X2O is the waterproofing
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:20
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
What do you guys think of the Smittybilt XRC-9.5K? Is jumping up to the X2O worth the extra reliability wise? Wireless seems neat but not sure how it holds up like a corded one.
I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"
Right and I'm an electrical guy (car audio & home theater) so I'll just wire up a switch somewhere on the center console. Think I'm going to get the XRC 9.5. I can grab it for $270 today with a coupon and free shipping.

Stupid question: What's the difference between a "tow strap" and "tree saver"? Can a tow strap be used for recover around a tree?

4WD.com offers the XRC with a tow strap and some shackles for a few extra bux which I need anyhow.

What straps and shackles do you guys like?
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:39
NAXJA Member 4950

Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green XJ Jeep View Post
Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree
Good to know, I'll keep that in mind when treading lightly on the trails.