• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

switch to stop the AC clutch

Ridr

NAXJA Forum User
Would it hurt to put an inline switch in the AC wiring so the compressor doesn't kick in when I run defrost and heater ?

No, I just unplugged mine.

Nope, I do it every winter. I unplugged the presure switch. Not sure on later models, but on mine, the ECM won't kick idle up or run fan either, so good place to put it.

langer1 said:
No but why would you want to?
BTW it don't run with the heater just defrost.
I usually always run the heat/defrost combo. Reason one , I just redid entire AC system and I would like to make it last longer, figure if the compressor isn't running , it isn't wearing. Reason number two, it kicks the electric fan on needed or not.

Ridr said:
I usually always run the heat/defrost combo. Reason one , I just redid entire AC system and I would like to make it last longer, figure if the compressor isn't running , it isn't wearing. Reason number two, it kicks the electric fan on needed or not.
Ok I see, but the defroster really does work better though.
On that note put a switch in the low pressure line, that way you don't get high idle and for those cold wet days when the windshield just don't stay clear you can turn the air back on with a flick of a switch.

One of the reason's your a/c comes on like it does with defrost is you should run it atleast once a week to help keep the seals oiled so they don't dry out and rot.

Plus, if its really cold, your a/c won't kick on.

Ridr said:

If you leave it hooked up, it will remove moisture from the defroster air before it hits the windshield which keeps your windows cleaner. I find that a real plus. Besides, it seems to me that the largest number of A/C failures come from leaking couplers or holes in the condenser; not compressor failure.

,Ron

Zuki-Ron said:
If you leave it hooked up, it will remove moisture from the defroster air before it hits the windshield which keeps your windows cleaner. I find that a real plus. Besides, it seems to me that the largest number of A/C failures come from leaking couplers or holes in the condenser; not compressor failure.

,Ron
+1000

Shutting off the compressor to "extend it's life" is false economy. If anything, it will SHORTEN it's life, due to seal failure.

AZ Jeff said:
+1000

Shutting off the compressor to "extend it's life" is false economy. If anything, it will SHORTEN it's life, due to seal failure.
This is true. However if you just run the compressor once in a while it should be fine. I put a switch on mine a long time ago so I could run vent/ floor with out it running all the time. Some vehicles are set up like that from the factory ( ZJ's are one most Toyotas too). If you wanted to not have to worry about it you could wire up a relay to the brake switch to make the compressor run when you step on the brakes if your switch is set to off.

I did this on my 97 to help my condemned evaporator last longer, delaying it's unavoidable early death.

The switch is deft. the way to go. I did mine in August, and it's nice being able to use the bi-level mode or, when it's really cold to warm up the cabin faster, the re-circ (AC max) setting, since you are heating the same air.

Take off the panel where the knobs are, and there is a thin green line on the back of the mode knob. The air comes on when this line is interupted (odd, I know). Use a multi-meter on that line and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I actually took a few pics of this when I did it if you need them.

Here is my thread on the topic:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63220

OK , let me ask you this, my XJ did this before and after the AC system had been totally replaced. On defrost , the clutch and fan kick in ,run about 5 seconds , kick out for about 5 , kick in for 5 ,kick out for 5...you get the idea (at least in park while I'm under the hood) , this is not normal is it ??

Ridr said:
OK , let me ask you this, my XJ did this before and after the AC system had been totally replaced. On defrost , the clutch and fan kick in ,run about 5 seconds , kick out for about 5 , kick in for 5 ,kick out for 5...you get the idea (at least in park while I'm under the hood) , this is not normal is it ??
Yes thats the way it should work.

In the old days :laugh3: It was common to have compressor failure the first time you turned on the AC in the summer. It seems that having the compressor sit and not turn over would allow the lubrication to leave the pump and it would crater when turned back on. It was recommended that your turn on your AC at least once a month to keep it in good working order.

It's annoying as hell, hence the switch.

If it's damp in the truck and cold (like in and out of the car in a snow storm), then you run the defroster as normal.

Yesterday, when I got done work at 6am, my windshield was covered w/ thick frost on the outside. No need to run the AC for that; just set the defroster, hit the bypass and idled it for a few minutes while I finished up at work.

Back