• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok going to try this oil pan 1 more time....

89TrailXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my last oil pan adventure didn't go so well. This time I am going to pick up a 1 piece gasket set instead of the 4 piece and try that.
So... to make it easier this time around, whats the easiest way to get the pan out from under the truck? Last time, I dropped the shocks, and swaybar links and still cound't get enough room to drop it out all the way. It looks like if I also pull the UCA's then the axle will "roll" forward enough that I can pull it out. Is there an easier way to do this?

I remove the starter and undo the exhaust header pipe from the manifold. Then jack up the front end fairly high and the pan wiggles off. I don't remove or loosen any of the suspensio or steering parts. This is with 3 1/2" to 3" lift. If you're not lifted, I could see where some parts would have to let go.

The only problem I have is breaking the gasket seal. That can be a real bear.

Yeah, not lifted. I had the pan off a week ago, so thats no problem.

Once you have it off and before you put it back on find a flat STEEL surface and make sure the pan is till 'true', use a feeler gauge all the way around it, look for any tweaked areas and gently flatten them out. A big steel table saw with the fence removed works really well for this.
Sometimes they are a real bear to get straight again, a big rubber or shot filled mallet works well for this.

Here's a dumb question: If you are just replacing the gasket, and presuming that the pan is not bent or damaged, might it be possible to get that gasket on without actually removing the pan but just dropping it a few inches? I haven't tried it, but it seems as if it ought to be possible.

As long as you could drop the pan low enough to get the one-piece gasket under and around the pickup I don't see why you couldn't do that.

Yeah but its bent from the first time I removed it, and I also need to get all the old gasket material off.

If I could, I would just take a welder and run a bead around the pan lol.

Look at the bright side. With just about any other vehicle, you'd be looking at pulling the motor to get the pan off.

I just love all the crap I can do to my Jeep without even jacking it up. :)

Instead of pulling suspension components you could pul the two engine mount bolts and lift the engien up some.

at the shop i go to i went out and watched what the mechanic did. He did everything you listed BUT he loosend the motor mounts and jacked the motor up and that gave him the clearance he needed. With a little effort of course. When you put the new gasket on try using some sort of adhesive and bond it to the pan. that way when you go to put the pan back on it won't slip out of place. Just what i have seen!

Daniel

As opposed to bonding it to the pan I read where someone used some rtv (3m spray adhesive also works really well!!!) and using the bolts bond it to the block. I did it with spray adhesive while the engine was out and on a stand and it worked great. If the surface is clean and dry you spray the block, let it tack and put the gasket on and it stays nicely. A tech told me about this so i tried it and it stayed perfectly and no leaks so far.

Same thing i said except you had the block out...he doesn't. still say it is easier to "glue" the seal to the pan so he doesn't fight lining it up. Remeber the motor is still in the jeep.

If you have the pan out and clean Indian Head gasket cement will work nicely to glue it to the pan. Just did it last week to the YJ's AT pan, that big belly skid covers it up some and it can be a pia to get it to line up otherwise. Once I got it all lined up on the pan I plopped a piece of plywood over the top so it would lay flat, the pan gasket had been folded for I don't know how long.

Ok, well it looks like the shocks and sways coming loose again, and I will try the motor mount bolts. Last time I only needed about another inch to get it off I think. I will be glad when this is done for sure. I am going to take the extra time to make sure it doesn't leak anymore for sure. I am going to make sure the pan is flat, and glue the gasket to the pan. I am also going to make sure the block is as clean as I can make it. Thanks for the help guys, I will let you know how it goes.

Back