• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Rotors

XJTJYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Sport and Napa is telling me that the replacement rotors are available in cast or composite hubs depending on what I have on there now. How can I tell?

IMO the cast are the way to go, the composites seem to warp easier which is what the factory puts on. I had the recall done about 2 years ago where they put on new rotors to replace defective composite, they replaced them with newer composites. I just noticed lately that they have a bit of a warp to them [pulsating pedal even at low speed] and I have a set of wagners sitting on the shelf that I had cryogenically treated [frozen to -400F] a few years ago and never got to use, next warm day the rotors get changed and new pads put in.

Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16"
Composites are 3 3/16"

HTH

Do I measure from the bottom to th top while it is laying on its back? Is there anyway to determine while it is on the Jeep?

Bottom to top while it is laying down flat.
As for measuring, I have never tried to measure them on the vehicle, looks like a PIA though.
Good luck.

natep1 said:
Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16"
Composites are 3 3/16"

It's also worth noting that they aren't interchangeable - if you get the wrong size, it'll foul the backing plate. I ran into this on my '01; had I been smart I would've bought both sets and returned the ones I didn't use - the 90-minute job turned into a full-day exercise in trying to locate the right set.

That is a PITA. Is ther anyway to tell by looking at them? Perhaps some markings or something. Would my dealer tell me? (would the dealer be correct?)

XJTJYJ said:
That is a PITA. Is ther anyway to tell by looking at them? Perhaps some markings or something. Would my dealer tell me? (would the dealer be correct?)

I have a 2000 Sport and have never been asked that question. So sorry our advice is too much a PITA for you. Why don't you go ask this question Here I'm sure they will help you out and it won't be such a PITA.

HTH

I did not mean that your advice is a PITA. It is priceless. I did not mean any disrespect. I woas looking for a magic shortcut so I will have more time tomarrow to get drunk and stare at the overgrown grass.

That is a sweet site! I would like to tube out my XJ but the ball and chain would complaint during winter months and when iI get it up on its rear like that, the Groceries would fall out.

Confirm that they have different dimensions, so it isn't a question of buy the one you want, as RichP suggested. However, I was under the impression that 1999 was the year they made the change (mid-year, mid-production change), and that all 2000s were cast rotors.

Should be easy to check the overall depth on the vehicle. Jack up one wheel, remove tire, lay straightedge across wheel mating surface of rotor, hoof tape measure tip beind rotor ==> read tape.

You can tell which kind you have by looking at them. Think of the rotor as a hat. Look at the hat sideways. On the Cast, the top edge of the hat is a sharp corner, and on the composite it is slightly rounded.

Eagle said:
Confirm that they have different dimensions, so it isn't a question of buy the one you want, as RichP suggested. However, I was under the impression that 1999 was the year they made the change (mid-year, mid-production change), and that all 2000s were cast rotors.

Should be easy to check the overall depth on the vehicle. Jack up one wheel, remove tire, lay straightedge across wheel mating surface of rotor, hoof tape measure tip beind rotor ==> read tape.

I'm gonna be royally pissed if those rotors I bought back in 99 or 00, had cryo'd and have had on the shelf since then are the wrong ones I can tell you that. :mad: :rattle: If it stops raining today I guess it will be a good time to jackstand the rig and rotate the tires, then I can check.
I still think that you can or should be able to get either cast or composite, I may be wrong, we'll see. My only saving grace was that when I bought them they only listed one cast and one composite.

While I was hibernating in Chile over the winter, I did as much research as I could on this topic. The following is what I came up with. Please note that it is copyrighted, and I am NOT granting permission for this to be copied or reposted anywhere else.

In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

· Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

· Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

· Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

· Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

Which means that RichP can use the cast rotors, but will probably have to change the hub/bearing units when installing them.

YEABUT, thats factory parts. I'm taking a leap here but it could also be that the aftermarket manufacturers produced cast rotors to replace OEM composite one's with. When my son did his 97TJ last summer his rotors were composite OEM and the wagners I picked up at the parts store were cast, they went right on. I could have sworn the part numbers for the 97TJ were the same as the 98XJ...

Back