• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't shift out of 1st gear

Patsygrist-01

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks in advance to everyone for any input on my problem child.

1998 Cherokee XJ driven 130 miles daily on rural mail route with about 360 stops. A couple months ago first thing in the mornings it started having very harsh shifts from 1st to 2nd. That has since transpired into not wanting to shift out of 1st each morning. I can run it up to about 3000-3500 rpm and let up on the gas and the rpm's go down to idle speed. No engine braking. Give it enough gas to resume speed after coasting and it's 3000-3500 rpm still. If I get on it a little more (about 4000) it will eventually upshift and after that it shifts normally for the rest of the day. I've tried letting it warm up for over 20 minutes and it still does it. It's like you really have to get after it to get the juices flowing. Also the torque converter kicks in and out sporadically throughout the day.

The codes I have are:
P0753 Powertrain Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0751 Powertrain Shift Solenoid "A" Performance or Stuck Off
P0740 Powertrain Torque Converter Clutch Circuit

Things I have done:
New TCU
TPS (aftermarket though, not OEM)
All 3 shift solenoids (Standard Motor Products)
Adjust TV Cable

I think I read in the shop manual that the torque converter runs the transmission pump. Am I barking up the wrong tree again?

Thanks, Pat

Back