• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

edge programmer/TB/CAI

I don't have the kit but I can say with confidence that a 20% gain power is a misconception and a marketing gimmick. Let me illustrate.

The only way I can see where they get the 20% increase figure is at the bottom end where the engine isn't making much power anyway. For example, lets say at 1500 rpm the 4.0 makes 50 hp at full throttle. With the modifications (+20%), the engine would make 60 hp, a 10 hp gain. A gain of 10 hp is totally reasonable with an intake and revised computer tuning.

But when you work the numbers for peak power rpm (4600-4700 rpm) where the 4.0 makes 180-190 hp a +20% gain works about to about 40 hp. A 40 hp gain from just an intake and computer mapping is an absolute joke.

A 2 second lower 0-60 time seems a little optimistic as well. Some people need a stroker to lower their times that much.

KMK172008 said:
not to mention the price is outragous. Almost 800$ right? I think they put one on a jeep during 'Trucks' on spike.
yeah thats where I first saw it, they put it on a TJ... I really wish trucks was more than a 30min commercial so they could have actually tested it and told us if it worked as advertised

I remember they built a budjet xj. How did they make the bumper? With a CNC plasma cutter. really? How many people have acess to a CNC plasma cutter and a mig welder?

FoMoCo said:
http://www.edgeproducts.com/products.php?car_motor_key=41&category_key=all
anyone have one? edge makes some pretty hefty claims, namely 20% more power and 2sec quicker 0-60... I was wondering if anyones calibrated butt dyno can confirm them :eeks1:

I think it's safe to say that their claim is a pile of horsecrap. With a CAI, bored TB, and chip, you might just gain 10hp but at $800? Forget it. Buy a 62mm TB from ebay (much cheaper) and make your own CAI.

Ok for the record I bought it and installed it on my '00 cost me under 6 but still not worth the cost. It did show some improvement but NOT what was advertized, no dyno before or after! Oh well, live and learn huh!! :gee:

I was just flipping through a JP magazine today and they put an Edge Trail Jammer system on a 1997 TJ. The kit included a 62mm throttle body, cai, and their computer gizzmo. They opted not to touch the exhaust and the truck was pretty much stock. This is what they reported: 15 hp gain and 1.3+ mpg. Stock: 126 hp, 171 lb-ft, Mod'd: 141 hp, 181 lb-ft. These numbers were taken at the wheels.

However much the gain is it is still way over priced. You can get a 63mm tb from http://www.strokedjeep.com/ for $105 and a cai for at most $250.. so their computer gizzmo costs $445? You can pick up a reprogrammable Omnichip for that.

-Chris

Last edited:
Back