• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling engine and transmission together.

Wasn't that bad for my first ever engine swap. Just need to pick up a new o2 sensor and swap over some electronics that I think are not working right.

Drove it to work today and I think a wheel ujoint went out. Had a horrible vibration at highway speeds. Then had a clicking noise unless I turn slightly left. Are the axle shafts the same between 88 and 90?

Are the axle shafts the same between 88 and 90?
No! 1990 was a change year for stub shafts and unit bearings. Add ABS to a front axle and you get the bigger U-Joints.

Um, I thought the axel shafts with vacuum disconnect were the same 84 up to like 95 for the wrangler, although the ujoint was upgraded later years.

The hub bearing and knuckle are completely different 90 up, I was pretty sure the axels shafts interchanged for most of the years because when I redid the 85s axels I bought them for a newer jeep with better ujoints.

Hang on....

Car-parts com has the interchange
W/CAD 84-95
W/O CAD W/O ABS 88-90
W/O CAD W/ABS 88-90
They could be wrong, but I was sure on the CAD version I bought newer axel shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a better listing of interchanges. I don't know any of it is correct so take it for what it is worth.

CHEROKEE 84-93 Front Axle; w/vacuum disconnect, L.
WAGONEER 84-90 Front Axle; w/vacuum disconnect, L.
CHEROKEE 88-93 Front Axle; w/o vacuum disconnect; w/o ABS; L.
COMANCHE 86 Front Axle; w/vacuum disconnect, L.
WRANGLER 87-92 Front Axle; L.
COMANCHE 87-92 Front Axle; L.
WAGONEER 88-90 Front Axle; w/o vacuum disconnect; w/o ABS; L.
WRANGLER 93-95 Front Axle; w/o ABS; L.
CHEROKEE 94-96 Front Axle; w/o ABS; L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

both dont have abs. and i know the bearings are different along with the knuckles. i was just g oing to swap shafts if its possible.

both dont have abs. and i know the bearings are different along with the knuckles. i was just g oing to swap shafts if its possible.
The older shafts have a rubber seal that mates up to the back of the Unit Bearing, no such provision needed with the newer Unit Bearing.

Turns out the ujoints are fine. Had a bit of rust on them but I don't actually think they are that old. Hub assembly. And calipers look new also.

Your gonna have to fight with the tcase unless you pull the front crossmember off, I did this when I pulled the 5speed out of the rotted shell, taking the tcase off makes it 100 times easier

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

i ended up separating the transmission from the engine. was not as bad as i imagined. the one engine had been swapped and did not have the stupid reverse torx. and the other had 26 years of oil dripping on them that made them not so hard to get out. also dropping the crossmember down makes changing the cps a breeze.

Back