NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 7th, 2008, 09:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Installing a ZJ/XJ overhead console:

Quote:
So basically, a 93-95 ZJ trip computer needs more wiring connected to it, but it *should* also work with a HO XJ MJ.........it might be limited to 93+ HO XJs.

Right now this is all untested, buyer beware.
Continuing here what we started talking about over at Comanche Club...i picked up a 94 ZJ overhead console to give this a try on my 92 MJ. So i guess i'll be the test case. I already have a functioning XJ overhead console installed, so the temp sensors and power are known to be good. After looking over the links you've posted, at a minimum i'm going to need to run two wires to the bus and one to the fuel gauge.

Hopefully i'll get some time over the weekend to give it a try.
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker
Continuing here what we started talking about over at Comanche Club...i picked up a 94 ZJ overhead console to give this a try on my 92 MJ. So i guess i'll be the test case. I already have a functioning XJ overhead console installed, so the temp sensors and power are known to be good. After looking over the links you've posted, at a minimum i'm going to need to run two wires to the bus and one to the fuel gauge.

Hopefully i'll get some time over the weekend to give it a try.
Thinking about this some more you might need to incorporate a ZJ BCM into the mix.

right now the VSS signal does goto the ECU on a 93XJ, however the XJ PCM may not pass any speed information on via the CCD bus. If that is the case all the odo and gas mileage functions wont work.........and you would need to incorporate a ZJ BCM to get them to work.

Report back and let us know what happens...............
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Thinking about this some more you might need to incorporate a ZJ BCM into the mix.

right now the VSS signal does goto the ECU on a 93XJ, however the XJ PCM may not pass any speed information on via the CCD bus. If that is the case all the odo and gas mileage functions wont work.........and you would need to incorporate a ZJ BCM to get them to work.
hmm...that could be a concern since i don't see a bcm for the 93-95 zj in the fsm. well, i'll still give wiring up what i have a try, if it doesn't work this way i'm only out 20 dollars and little bit of time.
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

where is the factory temp sensor located?

I just pulled an overhead console from a 00' to put in my 99' and wasn't aware that there was a temp sensor, I just grabbed the harness that plugs in behind the kick panel. What else do I need to make it work?
Old August 7th, 2008, 14:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravesdiggerxj
where is the factory temp sensor located?

I just pulled an overhead console from a 00' to put in my 99' and wasn't aware that there was a temp sensor, I just grabbed the harness that plugs in behind the kick panel. What else do I need to make it work?
temp sensor that mounts up behind the front bumper on the lower radiator support, you will see the wiring for the sensor run up there, just plug it in and have fun.
Old August 7th, 2008, 15:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluster
temp sensor that mounts up behind the front bumper on the lower radiator support, you will see the wiring for the sensor run up there, just plug it in and have fun.
it has a white clip is that correct?

I believe mine already has the pigtail to the sensor just not the sensor itself, thanks
Old August 7th, 2008, 17:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravesdiggerxj
it has a white clip is that correct?

I believe mine already has the pigtail to the sensor just not the sensor itself, thanks
Yes the wiring is already all there, you just need the sensor itself to plugin.
Old August 7th, 2008, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

We have three XJs, '92, '95, '96, all of which have OHCs. The '92 has a '92 OHC, the '96 I lucked out and found a '96 stripper with the OHC in tan-'Dark Sand'- sorta rare, and the '95, my son found an XJ with a sunroof, and it had the cut- down console- just the front part. We had to cobble together a harness to continue to use the original dome light. Since the '96 is OBDII, and if I got a later ZJ OHC, is the info available in the XJ to get the MPG, DTE etc. like the Grands had. I believe '97+ had this display, but the '96 is a bastard year. Thanx...Ray
Old August 7th, 2008, 19:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhar
We have three XJs, '92, '95, '96, all of which have OHCs. The '92 has a '92 OHC, the '96 I lucked out and found a '96 stripper with the OHC in tan-'Dark Sand'- sorta rare, and the '95, my son found an XJ with a sunroof, and it had the cut- down console- just the front part. We had to cobble together a harness to continue to use the original dome light. Since the '96 is OBDII, and if I got a later ZJ OHC, is the info available in the XJ to get the MPG, DTE etc. like the Grands had. I believe '97+ had this display, but the '96 is a bastard year. Thanx...Ray
The 96 should have all that data available on the CCD bus for the console to work properly like the 97+ does.
Old August 10th, 2008, 20:32
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zluster
No, 99+ WJ will not work.

The WJ used the single wire PCI bus for data communication, the XJ uses the older CCD twisted pair, the two are not compatible.

I should also note that this trip computer should work for any DCJ vehicle with the CCD bus, though some of the older vehicles will not have all the information needed on the CCD bus.

This means you could install this trip computer on an older TJ. However at some point the TJ switched from the CCD bus to the PCI, if you wanted a trip computer for a newer TJ with the PCI bus you would want the overhead console out of a WJ, or KJ.
So one out of a 96-97-98 Grand cherokee should work?
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

Started wiring the ZJ trip computer into my '92 and so far got the expected results. Compass, temp, timer and distance to empty all worked. The trip computer, avg and instant fuel consumption did not.

I was able to use the XJ overhead wiring for a few pin outs; had to run wires to the fuel sender, 2 to the ccd bus and a ground. I ran the ccd wires to the unused security connector (i replaced my MJ's original dash harness with one from a '92 XJ limited). i'm pretty sure its not going to make a difference, i'm going to try running the ccd bus wires to the diagnostic connector to see if anything changes.
Old August 24th, 2008, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Good information. Thanks!
Old November 9th, 2008, 17:50
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the information.
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

Hey all I just found this.. Any one have any info on installing a '94 ZJ OHC into a '89 XJ? I have a parts ZJ that I'm stripping and my DD is a '89 XJ..
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:33
NAXJA Forum User

For anyone wanting to do this. The pictures I originally made up for this are now lost when the scam artists known as:
http://www.report-gisol.com/

Effectively held my website hostage.

If anyone really ever attempts to do this and needs my help I will recreate the images.