• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

co2 causes corrosion to wheels?

1993xjwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
so i went to get my co2 tank filled today and the guy there began warning me about co2 causing corrosion to wheels? he said that 'over time' the co2 inside my tires will actually corrode my wheels to the point that eventually it could go all the way through and blow out my wheel? ive never heard of such a thing but wasnt sure if this was correct or not?

have you guys ever heard of this 'side effect' of co2, and if its true what does 'over time' mean?

thanks

I've run co2 in my tires for 3 years and never had a problem with it.....

I got to thinking about it after I posted....

There is one way that it can do it. Ask next time that you are there what their grade of co2 is. There are three grades (or at least that I pump) Industrial, food grade, and USP. If it's the industrial it's high in moisture but still to the point that it'd take years to do anything.

my-xj-addiction said:
I got to thinking about it after I posted....

There is one way that it can do it. Ask next time that you are there what their grade of co2 is. There are three grades (or at least that I pump) Industrial, food grade, and USP. If it's the industrial it's high in moisture but still to the point that it'd take years to do anything.

Just remember, water is the universal solvent, leave ANYTHING in it long enough and it will damage it, it's just a matter of time from a few days to millinea... :laugh3:

cool thanks for the replies guys....

i didnt think that it would be something to worry about and would probably take years but i just wanted to make sure.....

interesting about the grades....ill have to ask next time i get it refilled. so out of the three which one would be the best to use then, if it makes much difference?

ok, I feel stupid...everyone seems to know about this. But this redneck has never heard of filling the tires with CO2. Whats that about?

mgreen84 said:
ok, I feel stupid...everyone seems to know about this. But this redneck has never heard of filling the tires with CO2. Whats that about?
A common cheap mod that equates with onboard air is to fill and carry a CO2 canister instead. After airing down and doing a trail, you can use compressed CO2 in a canister to air up quickly instead of using an air compressor. Each canister can give several tire refills before needing to be refilled itself.
HTH...

and to think I spent almost the same amount on fabbing up a tucked away 12 volt compressor with an extension hose into the little opening in the back deck. I thought about the concept of using co2 once before, but I thought it would be to high of pressure. I guess with the regulator it would work like a dream, huh...............you learn something new everyday, today was my day.

a compressor and an air tank both have their good and bad points. it mainly comes down to how permanently you want it installed, and how much room you have for it. i like co2 for its portabilitity.

1993xjwheeler said:
cool thanks for the replies guys....

i didnt think that it would be something to worry about and would probably take years but i just wanted to make sure.....

interesting about the grades....ill have to ask next time i get it refilled. so out of the three which one would be the best to use then, if it makes much difference?

Food grade is the best IMO USP is hard to find and costs more.

And food grade is only a little more than industrial.

Back