• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel gauge not working right

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok I changed the fuel pump out and now my gauge isn't working right. It works just not accurate. I now the manuel said to be careful with the sender unit on the side of the pump and I did bump it a little bit on the side of the tank when taking it out but nothing real hard and the float I don't belive got bent. Should I replace both the float and the sender, or what. How should I go about trouble shooting this so I don't have to replace more parts then I need to. The guage will read full when the tank is full and is somewhat accurate untill about half tank(100mi), then it just drops to 1/4 after a few miles(125) and stays there(200-220mi).

Gee, my 98 has been doing that for years. You probably scratched the sender marks on the pump. I always thought the new pumps came with a new sender and float assy and that it all had to be replaced as a unit.

I have been living by my trip odometer for YEARS...I'm not about to replace a perfect good fuel pump just for a sender... course now that I said this it will probably be toast tomorrow :D

Mine does the samething. I live by the trip odometer as well. I'm going to have a good look at it one of these days but I can't replace a good fuel pump for the sender. Juice

maybe the newer ones are diff, but mine just came with the pump from the dealer. The sneding unit and float are sold seperatly but the sender is attached to the cage the pump goes into. It seems to be getting better from when I first installed it, these things are learnable(not really a word) are they?

the fuel gauge doesnt have any learning capabilities. if your jeep is a 98 it may be under a recall for the fuel gauge float. if not, the rheostat has been known to wear down causing innacurate readings. what year is your jeep?

89...It's wierd cause been I first started it up right after the pump change and filled the tank up it dropped to half a tank after 25 miles and down to a 1/4 after 100mi then I procedeed to drive another 100 on the 1/4, but now it's right at 150 on 1/4 and was right about half at 100 mi, where it's suppost to be. NAd I checked the mpg and they are the same. thanks

if you can remove the pump assembly, you should be able to work it out of the car to see what the gauge reads while you move the float manually. sounds like the sending unit is going bad.

Back