• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery died.....while driving.

BryGuy

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All,

I know the answer to this is somewhere in the forum area....but my search was conducted with haste as I have to go out (in our other vehicle).

My battery died yesterday while driving back to pick up my girlfriends car from the garage. Luckily she was behind me when it happened. She gave me a boost and I let it charge for 5mins and I barely had enough juice to get the 5km back home.

I know that the answer is that the alternator isn't supplying juice back to the engine....but I've heard that it could be one of numerous things.

Please add to the following list of things to check:

1. Loose leads to battery.
2. Corroded leads at battery.
3. Loose grounding wire.
4. Alternator fuse blown.
5. Alternator is Dead....Duh

Thanks in advance for the help.

1990 XJ....stock!

You heard correct. Clean the battery terminals and check all of your grounds and connections to the alternator. I had a scout that the plastic clip would vibrate out and then it would quit charging. If all of the connections look good, start the vehicle and put your volt meter on the battery. You should be running almost 14 volts. If not, your alternator is probably toast. If you are running 14V, but you aren't maintaining a charge, your battery quit. I personally have never heard of an alternator fuse, but I don't work on them for a living either. Maybe someone else more knowledgable can chime in here and correct me.

Good luck

BryGuy said:
Hello All,

I know the answer to this is somewhere in the forum area....but my search was conducted with haste as I have to go out (in our other vehicle).

My battery died yesterday while driving back to pick up my girlfriends car from the garage. Luckily she was behind me when it happened. She gave me a boost and I let it charge for 5mins and I barely had enough juice to get the 5km back home.

I know that the answer is that the alternator isn't supplying juice back to the engine....but I've heard that it could be one of numerous things.

Please add to the following list of things to check:

1. Loose leads to battery.
2. Corroded leads at battery.
3. Loose grounding wire.
4. Alternator fuse blown.
5. Alternator is Dead....Duh

Thanks in advance for the help.

1990 XJ....stock!

Take it down to the the auto parts store and have them throw a tester on it, then either pick up a red top or a new alternator.

Isn't it possible for both the battery and the alternator to be okay and have some other component to be the cause of the problem?

I guess I should take the battery and the alternator in and have them check both.....If they both test fine then I guess the problem exists elsewhere.

So...with that in mind what else should I add to the list?

P.S: I meant fuseable link....not fuse.

i literally just got back from changing my alternator in the parking lot (luckily it was AFTER we got off the trail and i had all the tools with me) but try testing the alternator after testing the connections. i had the EXACT same symptoms, and as it turned out, my alternator crapped out (it was also full of mud) btw.. if you do take your alternator out.. to save you some time take the front fan out BEFORE taking out the alternator, and you will have to take off the front bracket on the alt. as well. just a heads up.

Rule out the battery connections, you have been able to start the car, so it's obviously not them, although it never hurts to clean your terminals. As someone else stated, take it to your local Autozone or similar and have them check it.

While we are on the subject of batteries... I have had my Red Top for going on 3 years now, and it has never let me down.

I was camping this weekend and drained it down twice, turned everything off for 5 minutes and it provided enough juice to get a good solid start after draining it. I have drained it like that almost every time I live out of it, must be going on 50 total drains and still enough reserve to start the jeep. I've never had to use my jumper cables to get that Optima going. That extra bit of assurance is worth the extra coin. Thanks Optima.

even after you get this problem solved I would still get an optima, it's something that every one of us should have. I have a red top for starting and a yellow for my lights and sound system, and I'll never buy anything else.

My battery was dead....but was still under warranty, and was replaced for free. I still have 10months left on the warranty and at the end of it I can extend it for another 6yrs for $9.99 Canadian.

I might end up buying an Optima and keep the other battery as a spare.

Back