NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 29th, 2017, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Long Arm Upgrade - Opinions?

I am running the Cav-Fab 3 link, and love it.
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz95XJ View Post
The Clayton kit requires welding IIRC. Was trying to avoid welding. I'll check out some of the other manufacturers.
long arm cross members no matter who makes should be welded on no matter what. If you don't you are a fool
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:11
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
long arm cross members no matter who makes should be welded on no matter what. If you don't you are a fool
Going to have to disagree with this. *Properly engineered*, a bolt-on solution will work. But by no means do you want to just bolt it in place of the tranny crossmember and call it done.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
I would have to step in and agree. The forces involved warrant a properly attached bracket for the arms. Unless you want to get at least 4 bolts a side to grab the frame, which would mean drilling holes and welding threaded bosses if done correctly. Regardless, the cost to benefit ratio means that welding a frame bracket for a 3 or 4 link setup and have removable center section really isn't all that much in comparison.

From a radius arm perspective, the Rubicon Express crossmember works well. Not only does it grab three frame bolts, but there's a pinch seam nutstrip as well. Then the boat sides. In that Capacity, a bolt on operation would be justified. I'm in the business of doing it right and the most correct fashion. I've played the "its good enough" game and would much rather go all in.

But thats just me.
231 w/ beefy stuff
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:44
NAXJA Member #1145

I'm with you, but from an engineering standpoint, a bolt-on affair can be made to work, and work well.

Welding? Always better, *if it's done right*.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Next: finish front, build rear bumpers, Dana 44's front and rear.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31's. The wife's mall crawler. She's gotten inchitis over my S10 though...
-97 XJ: Son's DD. Mild mods for the new driver.
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:55
NAXJA Forum User

Check out the B Lee's kit. several friends of mine run it with zero issues, its some what similar to the Cav-fab kits. it uses 3 bolts per side to connect to the frame. apparently there is a nutsert in the frame that needs to be drilled out and tapped and its ready to rock and roll. I have my kit setting in my basement, and its heavy as all get out!

https://bleesoffroad.com/collections.../3-link-system
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjNick95 View Post
Check out the B Lee's kit. several friends of mine run it with zero issues, its some what similar to the Cav-fab kits. it uses 3 bolts per side to connect to the frame. apparently there is a nutsert in the frame that needs to be drilled out and tapped and its ready to rock and roll. I have my kit setting in my basement, and its heavy as all get out!

yeah.um..no
every other long arm kit on the market uses more than just 3 bolts for a reason
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:25
NAXJA Forum User

it uses 6 bolts total, 3 per side. I would have thought there would be issues with it my self. But everyone I know that has this kit has abused them way more than I ever will. One guy borderline uses his like a rock bouncer, ive never seen a front end come off the ground more than this guy.. I honestly don't know how he hasn't bent his front end yet to be honest.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:

For not much more money, there are FAR better options on the market.
XJ Buggy On Tons
Old September 29th, 2017, 16:29
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz95XJ View Post
Am running drop brackets already and hate them. They get caught on everything... but my lift has sagged somewhat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, then you wheel far worse than me.....

And from what I've seen, Most long arm brackets hang down almost as much, just not so close to the tires.
Old September 29th, 2017, 20:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
And from what I've seen, Most long arm brackets hang down almost as much....
I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Unless by "almost as much" you meant twice as much.

TNT

CavFab

Old September 29th, 2017, 20:02
NAXJA Member

I would go with CavFab or Clayton for the removable crossmember. CavFab is true 3/4 Link, Clayton is Radius and true 3/4 Link.
Old September 29th, 2017, 21:05
Only Slightly Psychotic

Wheel placement issue?
'87 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • 231 • D-44 • stock-ish
Old September 29th, 2017, 22:07
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
I am going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Unless by "almost as much" you meant twice as much.
Go ahead an disagree...won't hurt my feelings. That's why all of our jeeps are different...............

I said most, cuz the ones I've looked at EXCEPT for TNT still hang below the frame 3-4". Even the cav fab one you posted, and clayton as well, hang down the diameter of the joint + ~ 1"...which means 3-4".

Their saving grace is the arm itself, which lets the vehicle slide over the obstacle, whereas the drop bracket has a much better chance of catching & hanging up.

I haven't actually measured, but I'd say my cad brackets hang below the factory mount points 4-5", but are closer to the tires than the brackets you mention. Personally, I'd rather have something hang down close to the tires than mid frame as it is easier to use the tire to keep the obstacle from sticking with good tire placement. Can't always do that, but most times you can.

That's why IF I go long arms, it will most likely be TNT, along with their matching coil spring conversion for the rear, or the Synergy 4 link front and the IRO 4 link rear.

No biggie, I just mentioned it as unless you wheel in places where they hang up all the time, it's not worth the money or the quirks that can sometimes show with long arms/radius arms.

Simply suggesting a compromise to save some money and still have a nice ride.

Last edited by TRCM; September 29th, 2017 at 22:23.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:39
NAXJA Forum User

Long Arm Upgrade - Opinions?

Quote:

I’ve heard from several people that his kits unload like crazy on hills and handle like crap. The only people I know that have ran them have swapped them out within 6mo to a year of running them.