• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help I think my Alternator died!

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I just got home from the trail and halfway back my check gauges light comes on and the battery gauge dives. As im getting closer to home all the lights start dying gradually which i take is my battery dying to because the alternator wouldnt be charging it?
by the time i was home the headlights were almost completely out, the clock was gone, and the dash was almost out and she was sputtering as the garage door opened. LUCKY !!!!
the alternator is stock so for this reason and symptoms im under the impression i just took the kids to the pool.
interstate battery was less than a few years old.

99 4.0 186,000 Auto

Please confirm or if there is something else i should check let me know. Its my DD and only wheels.

It's PROBABLY that the alternator brushes have worn down. If whacking the alternator with a pipe or big stick brings things back to life you can be certain of it. You can buy replacement brushes from out of town, or replace the alternator for about $100-120. I get mine from Auto Zone because its a cheap and easy replacement. Others will probably disagree based on the quality of the remans. But if you need it tonight, then go to AZ because they're open late and always have them in stock. My replacements have worked fine for at least 50,000 miles (that's currently what I have on it).

Replace that alternator. If the lights got brighter as the revs got higher that means its the battery. But this seems like an alternator failure. Make sure you put that battery on a steady charge overnight or you are likely going to ruin it from leaving it flat

Leaving the battery in a discharged condition is a bad thing.

well it sounds like im sol on the battery with no way to charge it. who rebuilds alternators or what do i do to rebuild mine if i wanted it as a spare?

Where in Colorado are you. I could loan you a charger.

Back