• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knock-Knock

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Yes, interesting. So noise does not necessarily a defect make. Gotta love lawyers.

little boy blue

Ramsey said:
little boy blue
little boy blue who?

little boy blue michael jackson

Z22_Z33 said:
Anyone have the dumb version of this?
My eyes glazed over when I saw the word law.

That was the dumb version!

Here's the crux of it:

He testified that based upon Chrysler documents he reviewed regarding the engineering history of the 4.0L engines: (1) the idle knock/diesel noise started with the 1991 high output engine, (2) the noise was caused by unusually strong piston slap at about 45 before the top dead center, and (3) the source of the unusual piston slap was excessive bore distortion caused by an insufficiently rigid block.

The investigation determined that there were three issues concerning the production of the 4.0L engines: (1) mismatched pistons, (2) flaking molykote coating on the pistons and (3) an increased torque of the cylinder head bolt. In late 1993, Chrysler realized that one of the electronic gauges that measures cylinder bore diameters at the Kenosha plant malfunctioned and did not work properly for 7 to 10 days. As a result, some of the pistons were mismatched to their bores even though the pistons were still within specification. After the electronic gauge was repaired, the malfunction was corrected.

Also, in the spring and summer of 1994, a subcontractor misapplied molykote(2) coating to the head of the pistons. Apparently, he failed to clean the piston heads properly before applying the molykote coating. Therefore, the coating flaked off more readily. This batch of pistons was identified and returned to the subcontractor, who subsequently removed the molykote and improved his washing process. Chrysler issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) concerning these issues in April 1994.

During 1993 and 1994, Chrysler created an "Idle Knock Task Force" and a "Diesel Noise Task Force" to address customer complaints about the engine noises. Chrysler also had an ongoing task force known as the "noise, vibration, and harshness task force" (NVH) that studied and recommended improvements for overall engine sound quality. NVH recommended that, in order to reduce sound radiation in the 4.0L engine, a main bearing brace could be added to the bottom of the engine block. NVH indicated that by tying the main bearing caps together, bearing movement is kept at a minimum and sound is reduced. This change was incorporated in the 1996 models.

My '95 was built in 12/94. It has piston slap at idle and has for some time now, It started around 60K miles and I'm at 110K now. I wonder if it has the "misapplied molykote(2) coating" that was applied to engines that were produced earlier that year. It still has good power, runs good, and only uses a half a quart of oil every 3000 miles so I'm not too worried about it anymore since it hasnt gotten any worse. I think that might actually be a slight leak from my RMS. I drive it pretty hard and I've done alot of performance bolt-ons to it too. Even before I did the bolt-ons and it was still quicker than other XJs I've driven--piston slap and all. I just keep it well maintained and I hope for the best. If it blows up, it blows up. Its not the end of the world. I can put another engine in it in a weekend if it comes down to it. A long, PITA weekend that is. :D

Btw, mine isnt really all that bad, its just kind of annoying. Once it gets good and hot, like after running it down the interstate for a while, you really cant hear it unless you listen for it and I cant really hear it at all when the electric fan kicks on. If its annoying me I just turn on the radio or turn on the a/c and it goes away. Just for the heck of it, I've been meaning to do a compression check on it to see if its dropped any but I dont think it has since it still feels very powerful when I get on it.

Last edited:
Back