• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Input Shaft Length; Short or Medium?

Muad'Dib

NAXJA Forum User
My transmission died in my 90, and I got my hands on a 23 spline from a 91. I know I have to pull the input shaft on my 231 transfer case and swap it for a 23 spline version.

Looking at novak-adapt, it seems that before '90 they use a "short" 1.2" shaft and post '90 they used a "medium" length input shaft that is 1.7".

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

That being said, should I be ordering the "medium" length shaft for the post 90 transmission, or should I get the shorty version of the 23 spline shaft?

I know its likely safer to get the short, but thinking about spline engagement strength it would make sense to go with the longer "medium" version if that is what normally would be there.

Thanks for the help.​

As an update to this, I kind of went through a minor ordeal but have it all sorted out now.

I ended up calling Novak-Adapt with my situation and what the gentleman said on the phone rang true with what was listed on the website. Since it was a 91+ AW4 it should accept the "Medium Length" shaft input gear. Based on this, that what was ordered.

Fortunately I did a test fit when I got the part and it did not fit. There was about 1/2" gap when the shaft was fully seated in the transmission. I called and spoke with Novak-Adapt again and they said that according to all the information they have it should have worked. They were really great though and shipped me out a replacement with no shipping charge after they received the one that didn't fit.

So in summary, if your doing this job and you need to replace the input gear the medium length shaft gear sounds good in practice, but to be on the safe side get the short length.

Hope someone finds that helpful.

Thanks for the follow-up, more data always useful.

Did you measure with the shaft installed in the transfer case or out? The shaft is hidden under the seal cover so its a fair amount shorter when installed in the transfer case.

Thanks for the follow-up, more data always useful.

Did you measure with the shaft installed in the transfer case or out? The shaft is hidden under the seal cover so its a fair amount shorter when installed in the transfer case.

For some reason I didn't see your reply; sorry for the late response.

When I measured I used the shaft through the seal cover to mimic installation. So yes it did take into account the transfer case itself making the exposed length shorter.

Back