• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbag light

Is it only at start up or all the time??

It should light up for 5-10 seconds after start-up and then shut off.

If it comes on while the Jeep is running, then there is a problem.

I know the Mopar minivans had problems with the clock spring going bad and breaking the connection to the airbag and setting off the light. But it could be another different problem all together....

poorboy, I believe your on the right track. I just finished rebuilding a wrecked XJ and put in new airbags, module and a USED clockspring. Now the damn airbag light wont go off. Seeing how the module and airbags were good, it left the clockspring as the culprit. It is a commonly "uncommon" problem. I am betting that you have a clock spring that is faulty.

Yea the light will just randomly come on when I am driving and the thing that really sucks about it is that it shuts my spedo and my tach off to but the rest of my gauges stay the same.

Hey,

Thanks for posting this problem. I just recently purchased a '99 XJ Classic and started to have these problems around (1400000kms). My first problem was my cruise control that was acting up, where the sensor needed to be replaced (If I can remember correctly).

After that repair, I started to have the exact same problem that you are describing. Whenever I drive over traintracks or just sometimes driving down the road my airbag light will come on and only my tach and sped will drop down as if the jeep is turned off.

I brought it into the dealership (5 Star Chrysler) and I really don't think they knew WHAT was going on and were claiming that it was best for me to deal with it as if I were to get it fixed it would cost over a grand easily.

Needless to say, It's been a couple weeks now and I've put up with it. As long as it isn't affecting my airbags then I am feeling good. I will try turning my right blinker if that happens next time.

NOTE: I thought it was an entire electrical problem as my front driver and passenger speakers have recently stopped working and my passenger side and rear window switches have stopped working.

I'm wondering are you have any of the same issues or have had them in the past?

The guy with 7 visits to the dealer and no fix is not the normal situation. A lot of us have had sucess by removing the cluster, cleaning the contacts well, coating with dielectric grease and re-installing the cluster. If it happens again, the short term fix is to just press on the cluster to re-seat the connector (makes a little more sense after you've had it apart and know how it snaps in.) Chances are if it happens again, either you didn't get the connectors cleaned up well enough, or your vehicle is one of the ones that needs to have the replacement connector installed (which I understand is spliced/soldered in place of the original connector wire by wire :(

just pull the cluster out and then take like a nail file, really HIGH grit like your gf or wife (whichever you got) would use on her nails. You might have to cut a small piece off of it, and then rub the contacts on the back of the cluster making sure there are no black oxidation marks. Then get some spray contact cleaner and some di-electric grease and cleaned the crap out of them. They also have a patch harness at the dealership you can get for like 7 bucks and you have to cut the wires and resolder everything but try the first thing first and see if that works. hope this helps.

I had this same issue with my '98. Air bag light would come on and my tach and speedo would drop to zero. Hit a couple good bumps airbag light goes off and tach and speedo back up and running. I know this sounds too good to be true, but just press evenly but firmly on gauge cluster - worked for me. I haven't had this problem in almost a year

Back